GTP Cool Wall: 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 55 comments

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think that would be the case (well, it may be for those who think anything other than an electric car is evil). I haven't the slightest interest in cars older than the mid 50's, but I don't think the people that drive them are pillocks. If the person is driving the car like they want to drag race everyone at the lights, or are acting like they are actually driving a stock car on the oval track, then that would be a valid case for thinking that they are an idiot.

I don't think that would be the case (well, it may be for those who think anything other than an electric car is evil). I haven't the slightest interest in cars older than the mid 50's, but I don't think the people that drive them are pillocks. If the person is driving the car like they want to drag race everyone at the lights, or are acting like they are actually driving a stock car on the oval track, then that would be a valid case for thinking that they are an idiot.

But you're a 'car guy', i assume. Joe or Jodi Public just sees a brightly coloured behemoth with a massive silly wing and equally daft long pointy nose.

If they ever get driven anyways, I wouldn't really know but under the assumption. These goes for absurd amounts at auctions (half a million being the highest if I recall) that I imagine them just being garage queens.

But you're a 'car guy', i assume. Joe or Jodi Public just sees a brightly coloured behemoth with a massive silly wing and equally daft long pointy nose.

I do agree that the design of this particular car (and it's sister) does look very out of place to many people. I suppose the car itself may look stupid to some people, but I believe that it would be cool to most since I know that the ones I see at car shows always are flocked by people.

Virtually equal in terms of visual impact as the Plymouth, though some of the minor exterior cues worked much better on the '70 speedboat.

Joe Dirt undertones also fail to drag it down below cool.

This thing is so Sub Zero awesome. However, I object that there are no blue or black images in the OP. Therefore, I feel I must fix this...... Clickable for larger, but these are two examples of Daytona's that to me look perfect!

0a9bd5801a75d737861dae32df913d0e.jpg Daytona1.jpg Daytona2.jpg

I stand corrected then, that one is real it looks like, the black one is a clone, the owner has said so in nearly every hot rod video it shows up in.

Ah ok. I didn't know about the black one, I've had the images on my PC for a while now.

The car that proved that "Win on Sunday sell on Monday" was effective only on Sundays for the most part, but nevertheless would put a car into the history books for being one of the most interesting muscle cars, even one of the most interesting supercars of all time, depending on your definition or perspective. It's possibly one of the most infamous homoglation specials of all time. Look at this car, clearly screams "function over form". You could spot this thing on the road even from a mile away. It's a car that is a total attention seeker for sure, but had a clear purpose...to win.

Richard Petty.

Okay.

Does good ol' Buddy Baker ring a bell? The dude who broke the mark and hit 200.447 miles per hour in a race-spec Daytona on the high banks of Talladega in 1969? (which ironically, and laughably was the name of the track Ford attempted to conquer.) Edit: Didn't see the second page. Sorry, @LMSCorvetteGT2, for repeating what ya said. :P

n9zqofqdvpdz1e7ofor7.jpg

Here's a few at Riverside.

k-and-k-insurance-daytona-charger-005.jpg

b754b31c227b6513efe0b08696a88c34.jpg

Here's another example of the Daytona's hallmark, it's speed. Bobby Issac hit 216.945 MPH in his Daytona, at Bonneville.

1864yxffenv42jpg.jpg

Interior of the race-spec version.

1969-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-NASCAR-Race-Car_-Bobby-Isaac_s-Car-Cockpit-and-Instrumentment-Panel.jpg

an (ex?) James Hylton Daytona, with a '66 or so Charger off to the side.

1969-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-NASCAR-Yellow.jpg

Don White and his Daytona.

1969-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-NASCAR-Race-Car-Driver-Dan-White-Kneeling-Beside-Car-Yellow-sv.jpg

Jim Vandiver and his Daytona.

fs_1969_Dodge_Charger_Daytona_NASCAR_Race_Car_Driver_Jim_Vandiver_Kneeling_Beside_Car_Yellow___Blue_sv.jpg

Freddie Lorenzen's Daytona.

4f29461ffe69358ace232334cfa72798.jpg

The best pictures of these race cars are on the grass field of the front stretch Daytona. Wish they did this type of photography with modern NASCARS.
Nowadays it's just showing how brutal it can get on the grass. :lol:

nascar-nscs14-day-high-ten-922x520.jpg

Last edited:
Uncool. It's become more of a collector's piece now than anything else. Sure there are probably people with real ones that drive them around, but I think most probably stay in someone's garage and a trailered to shows.

I'm conflicted. My usual measure of what general public would consider cool is the same sort of general public that funded 8 F&F films, movie reboots inside a decade or so and spin-offs to 40 year old franchises, so this kind of thing probably is en vogue right now.

Low cool.

Joe or Jodi Public just sees a brightly coloured behemoth with a massive silly wing and equally daft long pointy nose.
I'm a car guy and I see the same brightly-colored behemoth with a massive silly wing and equally daft long, pointy nose, which is bad enough, but its massive fanboy appeal makes it that much worse.

Have to go with meh. So cool in certain aspects and total uncool in just as many, which basically cancels it all out.

Back