GTP Cool Wall: 1980-1985 Cadillac Seville

1980-1985 Cadillac Seville

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can you believe that that was briefly the standard engine? Oldsmobile developed the damn thing but even they didn't force people to pay to not have it.

Roger Smith GM is the most fascinating thing.
It was an interesting time to say the least. But the reputation for its sheer unreliability killed off the diesel market in America until around the time Ford introduced the 7.3L IDI and fist generation Powerstrokes into fleet trucks. But even then diesel as a performance engine didn't really take off here until around 2007. It's absolutely booming now.

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the sound of a diesel engine, most likely because I spent a lot of time as a child watching trains go past my house or shuffling around the big station down the road. It's hilarious to hear that sort of sound coming from a car.

I tries to be a very 80's car with a very 40's look. The poor thing is a design mess. But, if it had the performance, then I'll consider a higher vote, as it stands it's very uncool.

As much as I love these things and would drive one daily in a beat until it imploded (say, two weeks?), these can never be cool.

Also I would be so awesome in here as these were never ever sold here. Everyone would point and stare. The few that know what the hell this thing is would laugh at my bravery.

It was an interesting time to say the least. But the reputation for its sheer unreliability killed off the diesel market in America until around the time Ford introduced the 7.3L IDI and fist generation Powerstrokes into fleet trucks. But even then diesel as a performance engine didn't really take off here until around 2007. It's absolutely booming now.

I don't agree with that. I think the B series Cummins engine is what really started the popularity of the diesel engine (in trucks at least) today. The 12 Valve Cummins was always equipped with a turbocharger from day one in '89, something Ford didn't even offer until '93 and made standard in '94. In '91.5 Cummins equipped the engines with an intercooler, something Ford didn't do until '99 if I recall correctly. Dodge truck sales were on a steady decline, especially compared to Ford and GM but when they offered the Cummins in their trucks, so many people ordered them that Chrysler had to stop taking orders because they couldn't fill them all.

As for this Caddy, seriously uncool because as stated, it destroyed the reputation of the diesel engine in America.

I don't agree with that. I think the B series Cummins engine is what really started the popularity of the diesel engine (in trucks at least) today. The 12 Valve Cummins was always equipped with a turbocharger from day one in '89, something Ford didn't even offer until '93 and made standard in '94. In '91.5 Cummins equipped the engines with an intercooler, something Ford didn't do until '99 if I recall correctly. Dodge truck sales were on a steady decline, especially compared to Ford and GM but when they offered the Cummins in their trucks, so many people ordered them that Chrysler had to stop taking orders because they couldn't fill them all.

As for this Caddy, seriously uncool because as stated, it destroyed the reputation of the diesel engine in America.
When I said when it was introduced, I was just referring to the time period. I absolutely agree with what you are saying.

Speaking of GM diesels. The Duramax 6.6 seems to be a quite sturdy engine. The guy where I bought my pickup likes to transplant those into older GM pickups and Blazers etc.

His son went a bit crazy with his one, k5 Blazer, that thing could spin all 4 wheels in almost every gear. And the sound. I ****ing love a diesel V8.

Meh. I have nothing against FWD sedans, but I really can't like such a heavy car with such anemic engines. And I don't get the rear styling.

The torque on those new diesels is just insane. So easy to get a 1000nm with them.
The diesels in the heavy duty Silverado. F-Series and Ram are actually all making north of 1000 nm/738 lb-ft stock now. The Silverado is making 765 lb-ft, the Ram is making 850 lb-ft in its highest strength (There are versions with less power and torque), and the F-Series now makes 865. I'm just wondering when one of them will make 1000 lb-ft from the factory. Unless you meant lb-ft but said nm instead.

As a package, there is nothing really right about this car - the engine, drivetrain, looks, and interior are all wrong. Although it isn't the worst car ever in absolute terms, it has issues with almost every part of it, which all mount up. And yet there's something about it that meant I couldn't give it Seriously Uncool, only Uncool. :boggled:

Rear looks like a Crossfire. But it was one of my first hotwheels, so it's somewhat cool for that.

Meh.

Back