Volkswagen Golf GTI (4).jpg

Body Style: 3/5-door hatchback
Engine: 1.8L Fuel Injected I4
Power: 110-137 hp
Torque: 113-140 ft-lbs
Weight: 900 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive
Additional Information: The successful Golf GTI was continued with the Mk2 as a sporty 3 or 5 door hatchback. Like late Mk1 GTIs, it featured a fuel-injected 1.8 litre four cylinder engine developing 110 HP. In 1986 the Golf GTI 16V was introduced; here the 1.8 litre engine put out 137 hp and the model was marked by discreet red and black "16V" badges front and rear. US/Canadian GTIs were later equipped with 2.0 16 valve-engines, available in the Passat and Corrado outside North America. In 1990, like the Golf, the GTI was given a facelift, and the "Big Bumper" became standard on all GTIs. This was maintained through the rest of the Mk2 model era. Today the MKII GTI is a highly sought after car, and is a popular choice for tuning, especially in Europe.​

golfgtimk206.jpg

vw-golf-mk-2.jpg
vw-golf-mk2.jpg
CarpoolMk2GolfGTI_01-L.jpg
16ved1.jpg

interior.jpg

An unspoiled one is very cool, but there's a whiff of chav about it.

Brings it down to meh.

I never really liked the looks of the MKII compared to its predecessor. Uncool.
*Edit: I accidentally voted meh.

Considering the version we got in Australia was complete junk and was barely faster then the regular Golf i would say uncool.

Not as cool, iconic or go-kart-like as the MkI.

The MkII was the first car I ever drove on a track, even at 18 it felt underwhelming. Meh.

An unmolested example is cool. If you can find one.

There's a really nice example near me. Looks standard apart from wearing a set of (period) 3-piece BBS's. I do admire it every time I walk past, but I don't desire it.

Meh, nothing special to me. I can appreciate what the car is and the "hot-hatch" revolution it may have started, but I don't see them as cool.

I've always found these wholly more appealing than the MkI, and like other cars of the time period it's a refined version of its predecessor while predating the bloat and/or softening of its successors. Easy Cool.

The sequel is almost never better than the original.

Except, maybe, for "The Empire Strikes Back", "Terminator 2", "Batman Returns", "Captain America: Civil War", "The Dark Knight"... errh... uhh...

Un... decided.

Cool. This is my favorite of golf generations. Basic, built to last and quite performing for it's time (GTi,G60 limited, Rallye) versions.

Not as cool as the MK1. And the amount of ruined Golf MK2 GTD makes me cringe. Yes I know they are GTD's, but it's because GTI's are hard to find, otherwise they would be the ones ruined. Very Uncool because of that.

It ain't no MK1, but at least it also ain't no MK3. Straight cool, if you can find an unmolested one.

Back