United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1984-1994 Peugeot 205 GTi nominated by @GTP_Ingram
peugeot_205_gti_22.jpg

Engines:
1.6L I4, 1.9L I4
Power: 1.6: 104-115 hp; 1.9: 122-130 hp
Torque: 1.6: 99 lb-ft.; 1.9: 111-119 lb-ft.
Weight: 875 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 3-door hatchback​
peugeot_205-gti-1984_r14.jpg

Pug205gti_hinten.jpg

peugeot_205_gti_large_27133.jpg

4.jpg

modelpicture.php

205gti999_022.jpg

No question.

Sub zero.

There are very few car experiences I'd like more than a 205 GTi and some North Walian mountain roads.

On the one hand, I want to vote seriously uncool, because it's an ugly hot hatch.

On the other, I don't know enough about hot hatches from that era to judge it from a performance standpoint.

One of the stars of the golden age of hot hatches (by which I mean the earliest), and even today I'm sure it still holds up to. Simple, cheap thrills that's just a bit cooler than an original Golf GTI in my opinion, and according to some critics, actually nicer to drive. Oh, and it appears in one of the weirdest, yet best commercials/promos ever:

Very high cool.

It's the 80s hot hatch. Even though I personally consider the 309 GTi to be the outright coolest hot Peugeot hatch, the 205 is the only one to truly gain classic status.

Very nearly sub zero.

For the benefit of those who are automatically going to say "uncool because four cylinders," or "uncool because FWD" let me try to suggest why those things aren't really a problem here, and why in some ways it makes it even cooler.

First of all, it is a fantastic car to drive. The steering feel is brilliant, and the throttle response and gearchange are genuinely better than anything else I've driven. Back in the '80s, the 205 had a reputation for scary amounts of lift-off oversteer, which reulted in many examples flying backwads through hedges. Modern tyres have eased this silghtly (I've had it happen to me twice; once intentially, the other less so..)
Exciting to drive, to the point of being intimidating? Cool

dsc_5945.jpg

For those who think that 130hp is not enough power, remember that it weighs nothing. Depending on whose figures you believe, it'll hit sixty between 7.5-8 seconds, which can hardly be considered sluggish. That low weight means that on the right road it has a genuine giant killing quality, too, as the owner of a Maserati GranTurismo I once came across found out to his cost :D
A car which can humble more expensive and "faster" machinery? Cool

Beyond the ability of the actual car, the 205 GTi is rare these days, too. It turns heads simply because you don't really see them anymore.
Rare? Cool

The 205 is also a car with a genuine motorsport pedigree, which can trace it's roots back to one of the coolest forms of motorsport, Group B rallying. And then there were the Pikes Peak versions, too.
Motorsport pedigree? Cool.

Anything that makes it uncool? If some people still get a whiff of chaviness about the GTi, then I can understand that to some degree - anyone growing up in the mid-to-late nineties will have seen Max Power cover cars painted bright orange and dressed in horrific body kits. Thankfully nearly all of those cars have long since died off, just like (in my opinion) the connotations that go with them.

I know this is more subjective, but I love the way it looks - the styling is clean, well-proportioned and with just the right amount of agression, the little pepper pot wheels look great, and it's teeny size makes you realise just how bloated modern cars have become. Even the interior is surprisingly pleasant for an '80s car. Yes, the build quality is flaky, and out of the three electrical devices in my car, I had to fix the central locking, one of the windows is tempremental, and the clock tells whatever time it pleases. But nearly all of that is irrellevant, because any car that makes any drive feel like an exciting event must be cool.

I'm watching how you all vote very closely :P
m0vNyH3.gif

It just looks and feels effortlessly cool. Sure, it's a bit raw, a bit rattly, and a bit dated. But pull up in one of these and it's simply sub zero.

Just because something isn't competitive doesn't mean it isn't good or cool.
Didn't say it did, but if it were just another hot hatch, then it would be a meh. Boring styling, with nothing to make it stand out.

But...

For the benefit of those who are automatically going to say "uncool because four cylinders," or "uncool because FWD" let me try to suggest why those things aren't really a problem here, and why in some ways it makes it even cooler.

First of all, it is a fantastic car to drive. The steering feel is brilliant, and the throttle response and gearchange are genuinely better than anything else I've driven. Back in the '80s, the 205 had a reputation for scary amounts of lift-off oversteer, which reulted in many examples flying backwads through hedges. Modern tyres have eased this silghtly (I've had it happen to me twice; once intentially, the other less so..)
Exciting to drive, to the point of being intimidating? Cool

dsc_5945.jpg

For those who think that 130hp is not enough power, remember that it weighs nothing. Depending on whose figures you believe, it'll hit sixty between 7.5-8 seconds, which can hardly be considered sluggish. That low weight means that on the right road it has a genuine giant killing quality, too, as the owner of a Maserati GranTurismo I once came across found out to his cost :D
A car which can humble more expensive and "faster" machinery? Cool

Beyond the ability of the actual car, the 205 GTi is rare these days, too. It turns heads simply because you don't really see them anymore.
Rare? Cool

The 205 is also a car with a genuine motorsport pedigree, which can trace it's roots back to one of the coolest forms of motorsport, Group B rallying. And then there were the Pikes Peak versions, too.
Motorsport pedigree? Cool.

Anything that makes it uncool? If some people still get a whiff of chaviness about the GTi, then I can understand that to some degree - anyone growing up in the mid-to-late nineties will have seen Max Power cover cars painted bright orange and dressed in horrific body kits. Thankfully nearly all of those cars have long since died off, just like (in my opinion) the connotations that go with them.

I know this is more subjective, but I love the way it looks - the styling is clean, well-proportioned and with just the right amount of agression, the little pepper pot wheels look great, and it's teeny size makes you realise just how bloated modern cars have become. Even the interior is surprisingly pleasant for an '80s car. Yes, the build quality is flaky, and out of the three electrical devices in my car, I had to fix the central locking, one of the windows is tempremental, and the clock tells whatever time it pleases. But nearly all of that is irrellevant, because any car that makes any drive feel like an exciting event must be cool.

I'm watching how you all vote very closely :P
m0vNyH3.gif

This threw some interesting points out.

But is that good compared to other cars of that class from that era? What about power, is that above par?
This debuted around the time where Volkswagen decided they were going to try dragging the Golf kicking and screaming upmarket, so this is essentially the real followup to the first generation Golf GTI

These cars became affordable second handers when I got my license. Having a Peugeot minded buddy helped a bit too. We destroyed so many engines in these things. We once placed a brick on the gaspedal of a 1.9 to see how long it would keep on revving, and without overheating it lasted a little under 20 minutes. Bottom half of the engine bits went everywhere!

Great cars to suddenly lose control in the rear while going waaaaaay to fast on a long sweeping corner. I prefer the 1.6 over the 1.9, it loves to climb the revs a bit better. The 1.9 however, is the better vehicle to go mud climbing with. :D

Cool. For all the great memories.

This debuted around the time where Volkswagen decided they were going to try dragging the Golf kicking and screaming upmarket, so this is essentially the real followup to the first generation Golf GTI

In 1984, the Golf was still as spartan as a car could be.

Performance wise, the 205 and Golf 2 were pretty much twins. Both handled like an 80's hot hatch.

Last edited:
We destroyed so many engines in these things. We once placed a brick on the gaspedal of a 1.9 to see how long it would keep on revving, and without overheating it lasted a little under 20 minutes. Bottom half of the engine bits went everywhere!

Why would you do this? :lol: For any car really, but just for :censored:s and giggles?

Back