GTP Cool Wall: 1985-1989 Nissan Skyline (R31)

1985-1989 Nissan Skyline (R31)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If R34 fanboys are the bros of the car world, R31 nuts are the hipsters. They're probably big fans of the S12 (unironically) and first-gen 300ZX (ironically) too. Seems like the main draw is the relative obscurity compared to its successors.

That being said, if I look past the badge, I sort of dig the origami lines of it. That greenhouse looks great with the thin pillars, but the front end is bland. Taillights are a nice take on the traditional, though.

Hmmmmmmmm...

I still don't get why GTPlanet thinks wagons are cool. When I see a wagon, I think an old person is driving the car :lol:

When I see a wagon, I see someone who realizes that it accomplishes 95% of the tasks that many people think they "need" a pickup for, and does so while using much less fuel, and not being a big, loud, obnoxious, douche-mobile. That's cool. Plus, I think most modern wagons look pretty nice.

My dad has one of the 2l Inline variants. In beige.

What little I recall of it was how highly unreliable it was, how gutless the engine was, how horrible the exhaust note was and pretty much little else.

SU.

After owning and living with a wagon: when I see a sedan, I see a car with a chunk of interior space cut out of the back end for no particularly beneficial reason. It's kinda weird.
And yet somehow americans seem to think this is normal.

Its essentially 3/4 of a car.

Wait, what's wrong with the S12?
Indeed. Or, for that matter, being a fan of the S12.

R31 got a Meh from me. I'm neither a fan of the styling nor the RB20 that resides within the top-line models.

The forgotten Skyline. Cool.
I'm not sure how forgotten it is...

16180910378_aca7eebe96_o.jpg
03281354_5153cd21a8913.jpg

Those are a couple of very "visible" (by that I mean to the public and not simply afficionados) examples.

I'm not sure how forgotten it is...

16180910378_aca7eebe96_o.jpg
03281354_5153cd21a8913.jpg

Those are a couple of very "visible" (by that I mean to the public and not simply afficionados) examples.

However, contrast that with the notability/popularity of the R32 onwards. I suspect if you were to say the word "Skyline"to a car enthusiast, they would probably picture in their head one of the R32s or later. I would say, at least relative to those models, it is a forgotten and obscure car, overshadowed by its more powerful and technologically advanced successors. Both of those cars look incredible, by the way. 👍

I suspect if you were to say the word "Skyline"to a car enthusiast, they would probably picture in their head one of the R32s or later.
I wouldn't even think of disagreeing with you, and I'd probably even narrow it down further to R34s with many even adding R35s (they're GT-Rs, not Skylines) into the mix. Still, there's a leap from merely 'less popular' to downright forgotten. How many people are familiar with Borgward, Crosley, Jowett, Marmon, etc?

This had the best promo video ever. And then some (friggin' chin spoiler!):

Tempted to say Cool for the coupe alone. The rest are marginally less mundane than the equivalent V20 Camry, though both models have retained a certain amount of 80s charm which seems to have strengthened as of late.

...screw it. Cool.

What song is that.

I wouldn't even think of disagreeing with you, and I'd probably even narrow it down further to R34s with many even adding R35s (they're GT-Rs, not Skylines) into the mix. Still, there's a leap from merely 'less popular' to downright forgotten. How many people are familiar with Borgward, Crosley, Jowett, Marmon, etc?

This is very true. It's nowhere near the most obscure car around, but it is arguably less well known than later Skylines. I perhaps should have clarified I was talking relatively. 👍

For the record, I love Borgward! :D

Latest Posts

Back