GTP Cool Wall: 1993-2000 Aston Martin V8 Vantage

1993-2000 Aston Martin V8 Vantage

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It has very individual design. After this, nearly every "new" Aston Martin has been a slightly tweaked DB7.
That doesn't really explain how the others haven't been proper Aston Martins. Is the DB5 not a proper Aston Martin because it's largely similar to the DB4 in design?

And if I'm really nit-picking, modern Astons look very little like the DB7 at all, other than featuring a similar grille. They look a great deal more similar to the first-gen Vanquish, which is where both Aston's current chassis architecture (the DB7 was a reskinned Jaguar XJS) and its current design language began.

Proper. :D

aston-martin-cygne_1544666c.jpg

Yes, just looked it up and was about to edit. I'm quite surprised to learn that both were grafted onto the XJS platform.

Yes, just looked it up and was about to edit. I'm quite surprised to learn that both were grafted onto the XJS platform.
As is often the case with platform sharing, it's a fairly loose comparison - there wasn't a great deal of XJS in the XK8 or DB7, but it's certainly a long way removed from the Vanquish and its aluminium, pre-VH platform underpinnings.

Big, heavy, lazy British bruiser with pulverising performance and 2 tonnes of charisma.

SZ.

Easiest SZ I've ever given.

I like modern Aston's - it's hard not to - but everything since this has looked somewhat feminine, and I prefer this brutish animal of an old-school English rip snorter from back in the day when the door panels were beaten out by grey-haired guys with wooden mallets.

Always been my favorite Aston of them all. Just about perfect for a 90s take on the Daltonmobile. Shame Bond was wrecking BMWs when this was on sale.

When you actually compare them side by side, it really is impressive just how much more presence these have than the dumpy looking Virage even though they are so fundamentally the same. Even the earlier Virage 6.3 looks wimpy in comparison, even though it had similar changes.

Last edited:
It's cool, but there are cooler Astons out there (The original "V8" comes to mind, with its ludicrous sound) so this one gets a cool from me.

Back