GTP Cool Wall: 2002-2007 Ford Mondeo ST220

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 65 comments

2002-2007 Ford Mondeo ST220

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newer Ford. Meh.

The US version absolutely blows, can't say a lot about the Euro versions so I don't think it would be all that much better. Fortunately it looks better, so that bumps it up to a meh.
We never got it in the US.

An mk IV GTI? I have no doubt.
Or a Mk5. Or a Mk6. Or in fact any Golf with a GTI badge.
Though they weren't competitors, and being able to out-drag the worst GTI of all seven hardly makes the Mondeo cooler.
Who said anything about just out-dragging them?
This is also half an Aston
That's true, some Astons really did have nasty slushboxes.
Ford sold around 900 of these in 2005.
Aston Martin sold 1050 DB9s.
Therefore it's rarer than a DB9. Cool.
I recall it was also outsold by the M3.

Actually, the current generation of 3 Series outsells the Mondeo. And the Insignia. Put together.

European Fords are generally typical, asinine, all-round, nice, good, average, jack-of-all-trades cars. That is, not cool. Dressing it up in a touring car bodykit (despite Ford Europe having already pulled out of all motorsport) doesn't hide the fact that it's a Mondeo; the safe, woolly jumper Mr. Rodgers of its class.

I can understand where @Danny is coming from on it; he's just put it in simple, blunt terms.

Ford Europe =/= Ford USA

I don't really understand the US comparison, because apart from the GT, in my opinion Ford USA haven't made a cool car since they stopped making the 1st gen Mustang in the early '70s. Off the top of my head, I can name ten cars Ford Europe have produced since which I consider to be cool.

I share the same view of Europe's fast Fords as I do with BMW's M cars: When they're brand new they're probably not cool, but 15-20 years down the line, as they become rarer, they become high cool/sub zero.

I don't really understand the US comparison

I was merely touching up on why European Fords aren't particularly cool by default as they're wooly jumper, mass market cars, and I was doing so for the benefit of our resident Slash Fordfan, who might hold a contrary view that, on the other side of the water, Ferds r kul.

Therefore it's rarer than a DB9. Cool.
That is straight off Top Gear and if I recall that was in Britain. But however you look at it it is understated and quite underrated. For that alone it's cool and cause I'm an Aussie I actually think driving a Mondeo is cooler than driving a Falcon cause your your more likely to see a Falcon.

Speaking of which if I could I would like to nominate the current FG Falcon?

imgres

This generation Mondeo never came over the pond.

It caaaaaame. Just not to the US :D

We very very very surprisingly had the ST220 here. A friend of mine had one for a daily driver and it was a greeeeeat car, very fast and agile for what it was, he enjoyed blasting trough any turbo whatever and then keeping up with it at 2+ kilometers above sea level just to see the face of the other guy. And I always thought it looked awesomke in that electric blue with the understated looks and those awesome wheels. Very high cool from me.

And they only sold about 600 ST220s in 2006. A year before production ended. Although the number of DB9s and ST220s on UK roads today appears to be almost identical (just shy of 4,500).

Or a Mk5. Or a Mk6. Or in fact any Golf with a GTI badge.

Well, perhaps "rip the tits off" means something a bit less dominating across the pond then, so maybe I misunderstood. An MK5 has very similar performance stats to the ST220 (faster 0-60, but lower top speed, incredibly similar p/w ratio), and while I can't find many lap times around the 'net - and we both know those are hardly indicative unless they were done on the same day by the same driver, and even then there's issues - the Golf is the quicker of the two. One big exception I found was high speed acceleration; the Mondeo knocks it away for 0-200kph. The MK VI is faster still.

Actually, the current generation of 3 Series outsells the Mondeo. And the Insignia. Put together.

It's pretty wild that the balance has changed so much. I was just reading an article about how the whole New Labour "Mondeo Man" comment really put a dent in Ford's sales, and I wouldn't expect it not to. But are "Premium" cars really Premium if they're the default?

I really like this thing, more than the one that came after it too, I hope the next one coming up will be as cool as this. I think the Mazda 6 MPS would've been a better car, (bit newer, 4WD), but I think this is cooler.

Definite cool.

EDIT: And cooler in the ^^estate^^ shell above.

Last edited:
Mondeo ? >>> uncool

ST220 ? >>> Trying hard to be cool

Look at that antenna ! >>> meh

Meh... because deep down, its just a Mondeo wannabe cool... but its not.

Brilliant, brilliant car to drive... the steering is just about as good as you'll ever find on a family car. The suspension is compliant, yet they have lovely handling. Reasonably solidly built. Reasonably decent inside. Plenty of space.

Not sure you'd could ever call a Mondeo cool though!

I actually saw an estate st220 this morning on my way to work.. Thing is, if weren't for this thread it wouldn't have even registered in my brain. Maybe that's one of it's strengths (bit of a sleeper), but for me it's just too much Blandeo, so had give it a meh.

Voted yesterday, seeing one in the flesh today just confirmed it more-so.

It's too laid back and restrained for me to be cool, and doesn't have any pedigree. For the same reason, it's not laid back or restrained enough to be uncool.

Meh.

Not that Powerful. and weighs quite a bit, but wouldn't stand a chance against a V6 Toyota Aurion, uncool.

Back