GTP Cool Wall: 2005-2009 Vauxhall Vectra VXR

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 63 comments

2005-2009 Vauxhall Vectra VXR

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2006_chevrolet_malibu_sedan_ss_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Considering that the Vectra VXR was also that, and that had a 3.9L OHV V6 that was automatic-only... Yeah. It could have been worse.

E28
Seriously Uncool. Vauxhalls aren't that bad these days, but the Vectra was a truly special piece of engineering, as in, no-one knew it was possible to make a car with absolutely no redeeming or vaguely exciting features.

This isn't true at all: Mitsubishi would gladly still sell you a Galant at the time of this Vectra's life.

So, while the Vectra VXR isn't really a cool car, I'm curious about something. Can someone (particularly the European members) explain to me why Vauxhall= SU?

This car created the TLA for torque steer. Depending of the side of canal you're on, it's either VXR or OPC. Seriously Uncool.

I just went meh for it. I can't think of many things that would tip the scale in either direction other than it's a fast family sedan or that you would have to tell someone that it's not a normal Vectra. So yeah, it stays in the neutral zone for me.

As many uncool qualities that this car possesses the most important quality is that it is suicidal and that is cool. I love a suicidal car like the Dodge Viper. It wants to plow into oncoming traffic and kill you and then laugh over your corpse. Also I don't have the heart to give any true VXR/OPC an uncool or SU. It has earned from me the lowest of cools.

Front wheel drive can massively improve the following according to rigorous experiments I have performed in my head:

Microwave ovens
Labradors
Newfoundland and Labrador
Lamborghini Miuras
Tea cosies
Spelling
Filing cabinets
Hamburgers
Billy Mays

AND MANY MORE!

:crazy: :confused: :boggled:

Hotter up sedan, has a BTCC version, should be cool but it's not because, too much power going through the front wheels, for a performance car it's probably quite boring because it's a Vectra, I like it but it's Seriously Uncool.

Cool because BTCC version exists. But the BTCC version actually bothered to try and make corners though.

The funny thing is, I didn't even like the Vectra as a touring car. I liked a Nissan Primera as a touring car, but I still couldn't bring myself to like a Vectra.

So, while the Vectra VXR isn't really a cool car, I'm curious about something. Can someone (particularly the European members) explain to me why Vauxhall= SU?

In general, most of their cars are very below average, for example; Fiesta/Clio/208/Polo>Corsa, Focus/Megane/308/Golf>Astra, Everything>Insignia. However, 'yoofs' drive Vauxhalls around as if they are the best cars in the world. The Astra is more guilty of this than the Vectra (a shame, as each generation of the Astra tends to look quite nice on their release) but it afflicts every model to some extent.

The fact that the best-selling variant of the Corsa is a 1.2-litre with big black alloy wheels and comes supplied in a choice of garish colours says it all. It's also known as the "Limited edition", which seems an odd name for the most popular car they make...

@GTP_Ingram People my age think the 'Limited Edition' Corsa is the best car in the world. It's really not very good at all.

It really isn't, I've had the misfortune of driving a couple of them. At least if someone owned a regular Corsa people would just assume they didn't care about cars...

Gone with meh.

The baggage that comes with Vectras are really uncool and with it being a VXR model makes it slightly worse. Although there are only 3 groups of VXR owners.
1 - The chavs in the Astras and Corsas.
2 - The more wealthier ones with the Holdens.
3 - The quiet lot in the corner with the Vectras, Zafiras and Merivas.

However, the car itself was great, with ours being an automatic version it was a nice car to drive and understeer wasn't as apparent as we never thrashed it around a track or B road. Plus my dad used it as an everyday runaround.

It really isn't, I've had the misfortune of driving a couple of them. At least if someone owned a regular Corsa people would just assume they didn't care about cars...
The new model actually looks like a massive improvement, but it's still lagging behind the Polo and Fiesta in tests. And it's still a Vauxhall.

The 'Limited Edition' model actually has people fooled, thinking it really is special or rare.

Vauxhall brand nowadays just seems like a cynical exercise, and the Vectra screams FLEET! I think GM really need a rethink about what they want to achieve in Europe. Uncool, not SU cause it's not a bad car in isolation.

Vectras are Opels, Opels are uncool.

I know this is Vauxhall we're voting on, but for me post 80's Vauxhall means Opel with RHD

Last edited:
Can someone (particularly the European members) explain to me why Vauxhall= SU?

There are (stereotypically) two types of people who drive Vauxhalls. People who drive them because it's their company car, and chavs.

Neither of these groups are cool groups to fall into.

Voting becomes a little easier when the OP's info excludes the coolest variant.

In this case, the VXR estate.

The fact that the best-selling variant of the Corsa is a 1.2-litre with big black alloy wheels and comes supplied in a choice of garish colours says it all. It's also known as the "Limited edition", which seems an odd name for the most popular car they make...

Trying to cater to the same crowd that would have chased after a Saxo VTR a decade ago. It's a world of brazen exteriors and higher insurance groups.

Last edited:

The car rated at #1 by my friends? The Corsa SXI. And they're serious. Argh.

As for this, I will give it props for being genuinely quite fast, but then again, that's all Vauxhall focused on. Straight line speed, lairy bodykit, big wheels. That's it; nothing else really done to accommodate the newfound performance or make it decent to drive apparently. Same with the Zafira VXR, which was touted as being the fastest MPV on sale for the time (as if that's actually a crown any car company wanted), yet was a bit of a howler to live with.

I'll give it a solid uncool. The Mondeo ST220 of the same sort of vintage was a lot more appealing in my opinion, and this doesn't hold a candle to the Lotus Carlton or even the Insignia VXR.

Back