GTP Cool Wall: 2012+ Volkswagen Jetta GLI (A6)

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 63 comments

2012+ Volkswagen Jetta GLI (A6)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voluntarily voted seriously uncool because I own and drive this car.

Anyway, in terms of coolness, this car definitely isn't cool at all though. Regardless of the variant, it's still a Jetta, something that carries so much stigma. Also, to the average person, I think the visual differences of the GLI from the lower variants won't be explicitly noticeable. I completely agree that the base model of the current generation Jetta is the epitome of blandness. Moreover, it seems that quite a lot of car enthusiasts aren't even aware of the fact that a Jetta GLI is essentially a sedan version of the Golf GTI, and how its mechanicals significantly differ from the ones in the cheapish base model. (independent rear suspension, engine from the Mk6 GTI, disc brakes, and so on) Whatever variables you use to gauge the coolness of this car, it always ends up at seeming at least a little bit uncool.

Don't get it wrong, I really like and enjoy my car. It feels quite quick and zippy. But, there seems to be some sort of input lag when I put my foot down - it takes like a quarter of a second before the turbocharged engine starts revving up all the way toward full power. I like the reassuring click felt when the pedal's all the way down. (I know a lot of cars from other manufacturers have this feature too though) The steering feels fairly precise and direct. It's light, but not without feel. (still, could've been better if they made it just a tad heavier) I've tried using the paddle shifters, and there is lag between gear changes, taking about a quarter of a second. The atmosphere inside feels quite refined - there are still cheap, plasticky materials here and there, like for the door panel, but it's nowhere near the terrible basic Jetta. (Jetta S) There's also quite a lot of rear legroom, and massive trunk space for a compact car. It's also fairly comfy.

Yes, the exterior styling is just typical VW-style - minimalistic and clean. But unlike the totally bland Jetta S, this is not without character to me. Despite the modest feel, it still exudes sportiness, combined with the understatedness that was already in the basic Jetta. It's firm and aggressive, but in a very mild way, not in-your-face. It's well-proportioned in my eyes too.

Granted, it's far from perfect...but it's more than enough to satisfy a large portion of my needs and wants.

This is what sleep would look like if you could make it into a car.

Hmm...what would you call this one, then?

Volkswagen_Jetta_S_yeni_Jetta_wallpapers.JPG

The perfomances themselves don't look too bad, but I simply don't get why people would buy a Jetta in the first place.

Well, take it from my perspective. Firstly, the branding or the name has little to do with my decision. It's more about what the car can do in the end. Let's just get this one out of the way though - I would not think of buying any variant of the current generation Jetta that is less than the GLI. It's just not worth it, you're better off with a base model Corolla or Civic. For the people who buy the Jetta S, I think they fall into the deceptive, feel-good trap distributed through the marketing of this car. Perhaps, in their heads they're like, "Yeah!! German engineering!! Affordable price!!", not even aware of the outrageous cost-cutting VW went through in the making of the car

Ok, so why this Jetta GLI? Simply put, I was looking for a four-door compact sedan that is quick (i.e., can go from zero to sixty miles per hour in under seven seconds) and can carry a family of four in sufficient comfort, while having a price of less than US$30,000. Previously, I actually thought about getting a Golf GTI, but my dad said that he didn't want me to get a hatchback, because it would be more unsafe in a crash. Also, long before that, in high school, I was asked by my dad about what I thought I would choose for my first car. I said Mazda3, but both him and my brothers advised against it, because to them it's too small, the rear legroom's not spacious enough, and my father does not trust Mazda's build quality. I also once mentioned Subaru Legacy, (not really a wise choice when I think about it now) and again my family doesn't trust the manufacturer. One of my brothers said it's ugly, while also reminding me that there's no Subaru dealership near the place I'm going to live in during my university years, so it could be inconvenient. Anyway, in the end, it ultimately ended up with two mild, compact sports sedans, the Honda Civic Si Sedan and the Volkswagen Jetta GLI, to choose from. I preferred the GLI because of the extra 10bhp for the 2013 model, I liked its looks more, and I wasn't very proficient with a manual anyway. (the Si's only available with a manual, and I only had five outings of driving a manual car in my life - it was in the driving school when I was learning how to drive for the first time, and all my family's cars are automatic) After reassuring myself through reviews of the car, I made up my mind. The final price I got was US$25,500, including tax and everything.

I would say it's good value for money. Say, it's faster to sixty miles per hour than a W204 C250 and an F30 320i, and these cars can cost up to US$10,000 more. Yes, their market positioning is meant to be different, overall they're still much better cars, but...well, I guess you can get what I'm trying to convey. Actually, my father offered to get me a BMW after I passed my US driving test, but I refused since I didn't think I deserved it. (also remember how I mentioned the US$30,000 limit too)

...and if you're wondering, yes, this is my first car! That's how privileged and lucky I am. The fact that my father wanted to buy me a car alone means I'm certainly more than privileged enough. Perhaps, it may seem strange, but most of my fellow countrymen who come to the US for their university studies (ahh yes, I did not mention the context of me currently living in the US...) had parents buying them their first cars for transportation. Also, I have never known a case of the child getting a used car. It seems like the parents of my country who send their children overseas just do not trust a second-hand vehicle.

Sometimes, I also wonder whether I actually deserve this car I'm driving now. I'm aware that a lot of car enthusiasts with mechanical expertise, people who are constantly looking forward to spend a lot of time with their cars, doing their own maintenance, changing their own oil and tires without going to the dealership, often only get a used car with a four-figure price, like a beater Camry from the 90s. Sometimes, they also just drive their parents' car.

But, in the midst of my fellow countrymen who are driving Bentleys, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis as their first cars, I suppose I shouldn't feel too undeserving...? Also, my oldest brother drives a 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupé, and my second older brother drove a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupé 3.5 SE V6, and they cost around US$29,000.

Meh, doesn't even get a current GTI engine.

Well, this one's still the sixth-generation model, and it was released when VW was still selling the Mk6 GTI. Also, when they bumped up the power to 210bhp, the Mk6 GTI still remained at 200bhp.

Here in America, manuals on cars like these are a rare sight.

Mind you, the direct competitor to this car, the Honda Civic Si Sedan, (also a front-wheel drive, entry-level, compact sports sedan that produces around 200bhp) is offered only with a manual transmission.

Cool, because coolest ad ever.

Uhh...that one's for the Passat. Also, if there's anything about Volkswagen that truly relates to the Dark Side of the Force, it's gotta be its Nazi-related roots, and referring something which slightly pertains to that seems uncool.

...where was I again? Well, this turned out to be a stupidly long post. Anyway, yeah, seriously uncool. Thanks to those who think my car is cool though! :)

Looks good, German build quality and decent amount of power.

Blends in massively and does catch a whiff of the 'stance, stretch, bagged, bro' crowd.

Meh.

Well, take it from my perspective. Firstly, the branding or the name has little to do with my decision. It's more about what the car can do in the end. Let's just get this one out of the way though - I would not think of buying any variant of the current generation Jetta that is less than the GLI. It's just not worth it, you're better off with a base model Corolla or Civic. For the people who buy the Jetta S, I think they fall into the deceptive, feel-good trap distributed through the marketing of this car. Perhaps, in their heads they're like, "Yeah!! German engineering!! Affordable price!!", not even aware of the outrageous cost-cutting VW went through in the making of the car

Ok, so why this Jetta GLI? Simply put, I was looking for a four-door compact sedan that is quick (i.e., can go from zero to sixty miles per hour in under seven seconds) and can carry a family of four in sufficient comfort, while having a price of less than US$30,000. Previously, I actually thought about getting a Golf GTI, but my dad said that he didn't want me to get a hatchback, because it would be more unsafe in a crash. Also, long before that, in high school, I was asked by my dad about what I thought I would choose for my first car. I said Mazda3, but both him and my brothers advised against it, because to them it's too small, the rear legroom's not spacious enough, and my father does not trust Mazda's build quality. I also once mentioned Subaru Legacy, (not really a wise choice when I think about it now) and again my family doesn't trust the manufacturer. One of my brothers said it's ugly, while also reminding me that there's no Subaru dealership near the place I'm going to live in during my university years, so it could be inconvenient. Anyway, in the end, it ultimately ended up with two mild, compact sports sedans, the Honda Civic Si Sedan and the Volkswagen Jetta GLI, to choose from. I preferred the GLI because of the extra 10bhp for the 2013 model, I liked its looks more, and I wasn't very proficient with a manual anyway. (the Si's only available with a manual, and I only had five outings of driving a manual car in my life - it was in the driving school when I was learning how to drive for the first time, and all my family's cars are automatic) After reassuring myself through reviews of the car, I made up my mind. The final price I got was US$25,500, including tax and everything.

I would say it's good value for money. Say, it's faster to sixty miles per hour than a W204 C250 and an F30 320i, and these cars can cost up to US$10,000 more. Yes, their market positioning is meant to be different, overall they're still much better cars, but...well, I guess you can get what I'm trying to convey. Actually, my father offered to get me a BMW after I passed my US driving test, but I refused since I didn't think I deserved it. (also remember how I mentioned the US$30,000 limit too)

...and if you're wondering, yes, this is my first car! That's how privileged and lucky I am. The fact that my father wanted to buy me a car alone means I'm certainly more than privileged enough. Perhaps, it may seem strange, but most of my fellow countrymen who come to the US for their university studies (ahh yes, I did not mention the context of me currently living in the US...) had parents buying them their first cars for transportation. Also, I have never known a case of the child getting a used car. It seems like the parents of my country who send their children overseas just do not trust a second-hand vehicle.

Sometimes, I also wonder whether I actually deserve this car I'm driving now. I'm aware that a lot of car enthusiasts with mechanical expertise, people who are constantly looking forward to spend a lot of time with their cars, doing their own maintenance, changing their own oil and tires without going to the dealership, often only get a used car with a four-figure price, like a beater Camry from the 90s. Sometimes, they also just drive their parents' car.

But, in the midst of my fellow countrymen who are driving Bentleys, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis as their first cars, I suppose I shouldn't feel too undeserving...? Also, my oldest brother drives a 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupé, and my second older brother drove a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupé 3.5 SE V6, and they cost around US$29,000.

Wow, I am stunned, that's one of the most comprehensive answers that I have ever seen to something I said. Seriously, I am baffled. :bowdown:👍

But I understand your point. You had certain pointers; you wanted to buy a car that suited those pointers and the choice of a used car was veto'd by your parents (kinda unusual for me, since that would be the first choice for many teenagers in my own country looking to buy their first car). Therefore, after much pondering, you chose the Jetta. It's obvious that not all car buys can be done by heart; some have to be done in a realistic mannner. By that I mean buying a car that can suit your needs as opposed to buying a car that you like. Of course, you did like some things about the Jetta, but you were more focused on seeing if it fitted your pointers.

And yes, you were a bit privileged in this, I'd be incredibly lucky to buy an economic-spec Jetta, much less a GLI like yours. At best, I could only buy something like a semi-new cheap-spec car like a Dacia Sandero or something similar. But obviously, when I do buy my first car, I'll probably get a used car around the 4 figures mark (somewhere around 2.000 Euros to be slightly more precise). Money here doesn't come so easily; you'll need a part-time job if you want to gather the resources to buy a car. And let's not start with the fuel prices and ridiculous taxes that cars pay around here... Then again, I am more likely to just drive my mother's car (a three-cyllinder Polo TDI, a second-gen IIRC), since the car money can only stretch so far, that and th fact that there are already two cars in the familiy (the other one being my father's Peugeot 307).

Perhaps you don't have to feel too underdeserving, if most of your countrymen own expensive luxury cars like Maseratis and Lambos. And your brothers drive pretty neat cars, ariund the same price range of your Jetta. Although they have bigger engines. All in all, you shouldn't feel bad if your car was the choice you had in mind. If it works as the car you envisioned, it's a car you can be proud of. Regardless of its reputation.

Hey, I drove one of those, in diesel, last month for an ecorun.

With the windows rolled up, the AC off and coasting with a dead engine, I damn near put my passenger in a coma. :D

Uh... uncool. It was very, very hot in there.

I've been in all the current VW models, the Jetta is by far the most boring. Even the GTi engine can't save it from a solid meh.

Ignoring the crippling reliability woes, unimaginitive styling inside and out, ridiculous pricing, and insufferable customer base... The GLI is a pretty reasonable choice if you want a performance oriented sedan that can still cruise around comfortably as a daily. But, man, VW really lost its way with the GLI over the years... One of those ad-wizards up at VW suddenly decided that the MKVI model had to become a luxury car, as opposed to the cheap performance option it had been earlier. I still don't get it. Even worse, the MKVII GTI is a bazillion times better, and, the MKVI will soldier on here for some time. Yeesh.

So, decidedly meh.

I'm sure it's a decent drive and reliable etc... but it's just so yawn inducing.

Uncool.

Meh...I would've expected a bit more hp from a modern day turbocharged 2 liter. Nice car without over the top styling though.

Mk VI was the point when VW finally, fully divorced the Jetta from the Golf. The Jetta became larger, fatter, softer, blander, uglier, and unremarkable in almost every way. That the GLI brings a few of those GTI parts back into the mix isn't enough. Uncool.

I quite like the GLI, and some changes here and there can make them look really good. Even still, its not cool, but its not uncool either. Meh.

Latest Posts

Back