• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2012 Volvo S60 Polestar nominated by KM964

volvo-s60-polestar-concept-2012-l-a-auto-show_100410768_m.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2012
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: B6304T4 180 ci/2953 cc DOHC turbocharged (rated 508 HP & 424 lb-ft)
Transmission: M66C Reinforced 6-speed manual gearbox
Layout: Front-engine, All-wheel-drive
My take? Pretty sweet car. Also costs almost $400,000 to build, and only 10 of them were built.

Could have been a Sub-Zero but a $400,000 price tag bumps it down to cool.

Uncool, no matter how awesome it is, it looks like a regular Volvo, which means people will expect a soccer mom to be driving it.

A little expensive (just a little), but the world does need this car.

Cool.

AWD, turbo nutter Volvo. Uncool. Especially at $400k. If Volvo returns to British Touring Cars with a racing V60 estate, then I might take them seriously.

The 1st thing I thought when I saw this thing was: Just another Volvo... :rolleyes: Then I looked at it's numbers... and wow!!! :eek: I mean... WOW!!!

BUT... Does it look like a $400K, 500hp car??? Or, would you buy a 400K Volvo if you had the cash???

Looks great, it's fast, but as much as I want to give it a cool, it will have to go with a meh... it's missing something for me at least...

Uncool. I love the Polestar stuff and I really do like the S60, but how in the world would you ever explain to anyone that you spent nearly a half-a-million dollars on a neon blue Volvo?

Uncool. I love the Polestar stuff and I really do like the S60, but how in the world would you ever explain to anyone that you spent nearly a half-a-million dollars on a neon blue Volvo?

This sadly, because I think the car is gorgeous, but there is no way you can justify it's price tag.

Meh. The power is great, but looks wise it's nothing too pleasing and that bring it down significantly. Would be a awesome sleeper if it didn't cost a ton of money to have built.

I have no problem with it being a Volvo whatsoever. The current S60 being one I quite like anyway without it having the Polestar treatment.

That price for a rebel blue Volvo, though? Regardless of how much power it produces or what engine produces it, it's uncool.

Cool.

Silly-fast sport sedan that isn't a BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Also for the surprise factor that is almost unavoidable when Volvo makes something ludicrous, like the BTCC 850 estate car.

Misses out on Sub-Z because the Volvo badge still has preconceptions associated with it, unfair as those preconceptions now are.

I'm ignoring the price. I don't really see how it's relevant to the car's coolness. All it makes the car is stupidly priced, rather than uncool.

Even though Volvos are sub zero in my book. But who in the right mind would spend that kind of money on a sedan??? For that price alone, I knock it down to uncool.

Absolutely without a doubt Sub Zero.

500+ Hp in a awesome blue package, with the safety badge on the front and rear. It looks awesome and agressive. And it is called Pole Star.

Totally justified to buy if I had the money.

As much as I want to like it for those horsepower numbers, I just can't. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but something about its design leaves me feeling disgusted, and the color definitely isn't helping...that's a terrible shade of blue for a car. It looks like the sort of color someone would paint a nursery. I keep expecting to see a badly painted Winnie the Pooh somewhere on it.

And the price! For a Volvo that looks like any other Volvo with ugly paint and what might as well be aftermarket wheels, that's asking a lot. I don't usually mention the price here in the cool wall threads, but in some cases it makes a difference...this is one of them. What went into this car to make it $400k to build?

With all that said, I only voted Uncool rather than Seriously Uncool. For all the terrible things about it, that kind of power goes a long way toward making things right. Not long enough, but it's a start.

Price notwithstanding the S60 on its own is cool as a cucumber. The Polestar is Sub-Zero. THIS Polestar is 0° Kelvin.

This

Absolutely without a doubt Sub Zero.

500+ Hp in a awesome blue package, with the safety badge on the front and rear. It looks awesome and agressive. And it is called Pole Star.

Totally justified to buy if I had the money.

And this,

I love the look of the thing, 500+ hp and awd, yeah it's brutally expensive but still sub-zero to me

Virtually any classic car, then?...

Well, many times a classic car can indeed be overpriced, but most of the time the really expensive ones (many of them in the money level of this car) are backed up by legendary names, rarity, racing pedigree and such stuff. None of which any Volvo has, much less an S60.

That depends on what you consider to be a classic car. You can buy a classic muscle car in near mint condition for as low as $18k, sometimes lower.
You can, and at the same time you can spend hundreds of grand on a Shelby 350GT. You could build one far cheaper than that, but it doesn't make the original any less cool.

Same goes for virtually any other classic that sells for ludicrous money. The bits of metal just aren't worth that, but pretty much anyone here would overlook things like that because there's far more to cars than just the financial value.

Works at the other end of the scale too - you might buy a rusty hunk of crap for $50. Most people would see it as a cheap piece of crap, but to you it might be the coolest barn find ever.

So I maintain that money is irrelevant to coolness.
Well, many times a classic car can indeed be overpriced, but most of the time the really expensive ones (many of them in the money level of this car) are backed up by legendary names, rarity, racing pedigree and such stuff. None of which any Volvo has, much less an S60.
Ten examples isn't rare? ;)

Edit:

Also, W&N actually wrote that each cost $400k to build. Unless that's a misunderstanding or typo, it doesn't mean Volvo is actually selling them for that much. I've no idea if they're selling them at all - they might just be fun corporate toys, like the Juke-R was originally destined to be.

Edit #2:

There's actually a less powerful production version, it seems. So this one is literally just a fun concept. Even less reason to consider the price...

Sub Zero. Now, if only they would've given the C30 Polestar similar limited availability..

As far as I knew, this would've went for around $400k, if it were sold, due to the build costs. Volvo also apparently had some interested parties, but the much weaker, warmed-over-T6 version on the road is all we really got out of this concept.

Solid cool, for the awesome blue, and crazy performance package. If only they could've found a way to get it to customers for M3/RS4/C63 money.

Ten examples isn't rare? ;)

Edit:

Also, W&N actually wrote that each cost $400k to build. Unless that's a misunderstanding or typo, it doesn't mean Volvo is actually selling them for that much. I've no idea if they're selling them at all - they might just be fun corporate toys, like the Juke-R was originally destined to be.

Edit #2:

There's actually a less powerful production version, it seems. So this one is literally just a fun concept. Even less reason to consider the price...
Indeed - just about every figure in the opening post is tripe.

Like the Ferrari/Dino semantics last week, this car's actually built by Polestar Racing - not Volvo. Originally there were planned to be 10 cars for Sweden only, identical to the Concept. Then there were 100 cars for Australia. Then the production cars were detuned to 350hp/370lbft - and as far as I'm aware, nothing has been delivered yet despite supposedly hitting the streets in June.

The car in the first post is the Concept - which cost £250k to build as a one-off. If that's what we're voting on, all concepts are seriously uncool. If we're voting on the production car (which would be 2013 if any have been delivered), the opening post needs an overhaul.

Seriously uncool.
400k for that makes the LFA at 300k look like a bargain.
Sorry but there's no way you can drive a S60 with only 500hp and say it's worth buying when it costs 400k. For that kind of money I think I'd buy a slightly used M5 and an LFA. 👍 (or a ton of other stuff :lol: )

Not going to really comment on the price or factor that in since this wasn't something Volvo ever intended to actually market to the public & merely made 10 for whatever nutty butters who more than likely already had the cars in hand before it gained fame. I give it a cool, though, because it's just unexpected performance out of a Volvo & this thing is right on the verge of a terrific sleeper-ish vehicle. It would be Sub-Zero if it ever actually made it to the showroom floors, though.

Back