• Thread starter Stiggy
  • 34 comments
Australia
New South Wales
thestig-13
StiggyGTP
The 2009/2010 GTP V8 Supercars Series
2009gtpv8.jpg

Race Length & Information:V8 Supercars/Class 1 - 12 laps, V8 Production/Class 2 - 6 Laps

This round is the first street race to use the new tyre rules. You have the choice between hard, medium and soft compounds. You only have one set of the soft tyres and there is no mixing of tyres allowed.

Car Specifications:
Ford Falcon XR8 Race Car: Power - 600hp (+0) Weight - 1309kg (-3)
Chevrolet Camaro Race Car: Power - 593hp (+0) Weight - (approx.) 1250kg (+8)
FPV GT: Power - 391hp (+1) Weight - 1660kg (-9)
Holden Commodore SS: Power - 390hp (+19) Weight - 1608kg (-3)

Entrants List

V8 Supercars/Class 1
5. LSX, Camaro, LSX Engineering
33. AyJay, Camaro, Garry Rogers Motorsport
38. CAMikaze, Falcon XR8, Team GTP
44. LancerEvo7GSR, Falcon XR8, East Coast Motorsports
54. viperin, Falcon XR8, Map O'Tassie
56. oldmodelt, Camaro, Vintage Motors Inc.
60. Irons, Falcon XR8, Honor Tuning Motorsport
77. C-ZETA, Falcon XR8, Corsa dell'Italia-Australia
87. oscarhardwick, Camaro, Tal-ko Performance Racing
90. GTsail290, Falcon XR8, Paul's Offshore Racing Team
95. TheStig13, Falcon XR8, Ford Australia Racing Team

V8 Production/Class 2
1. Pitracer100, FPV GT, Swift Pits Motorsport
02. Irons, FPV GT, Honor Tuning Motorsport
13. TheStig13, FPV GT, Ford Austraila Racing Team
16. oscarhardwick, Holden Commodore SS, Tal-ko Performance Racing
23, LancerEvo7GSR, FPV GT, East Coast Motorsport
34, AyJay, Holden Commodore SS, Garry Rogers Motorsport
55, LSX, Holden Commodore SS, LSX Engineering
56. oldmodelt, FPV GT, Vintage Motors Inc
88. C-ZETA, Holden Commodore SS, Corsa dell'Italia-Australia
90. GTsail290, Holden Commodore SS, Paul's Offshore Racing Team
98. viperin, FPV GT, Map 'o Tassie (Guest car)

Rookie Of The Year competitors:

Cougar23
Irons
TheStig13
oscarhardwick
viperin
LSX
C-ZETA

Round 4 Results & Series Standings
attachment.php

Points: 1st: 10, 2nd: 8, 3rd: 6, 4th: 5, 5th: 4, 6th: 3, 7th: 2, 8th: 1, bonus point for fastest lap

Race Rules- Standard online rules apply
- No shortcuts and try to keep at least 2 wheels on the track at all times
- No wall-riding
- You MUST use the specifications provided
- Forced pit entry is to be used
- You must make at least 1 compulsory pitstop for tyres. If you don't make a pit stop (drive-throughs don't count) you will get a 40 second penalty
- TCS & ASM can be turned on
- AI - any level
- If you submit your time late you will recieve a 30 second penalty
- Tyre wear must be set to strong

PM me with the following details filled in before the deadline of Saturday 21st November 11:59pm GMT. Times will still be accepted until the Tuesday after the deadline, but a 30 second penalty will be applied.

User Name:
Class:
Car:
Number:
HP:
Weight:
Total Time:
Fastest Lap:
No. of Pits + Drive Through Penalties:

Hope you will enjoy the race

TheStig.

Attachments

• V8 Round 4 Results.jpg
    V8 Round 4 Results.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
After 30 mins. of unconsistent driving I pulled out a 1.49.819.

I could have gotten a 1.47.xxx time, but I needed to pit.

1:30:075 on on previous setup. I've tested with the new and dipped a bit over a full second off that. Then Viper will come and knock 2 seconds off that :lol:

Greetings all - Are you enjoying the sights of New York?

TheStig13 must have made a large donation to the city to get them to clear the streets for our practice runs.👍 I've only had to avoid a few taxi's during my warmup laps!

After two stints in my Commodore, I've been able to post a terrible looking lap with a time of 1.47.948. My braking zones are all messed up:yuck: because I've been running in a Formula GT for the last two days at Suzuka. With a few more runs, I hope to knock a full second off this time.

BTW - I just found out that the Commodore has a sixth gear! I did not even know this before today, because in all our previous races I've never gotten the Commodore up to a speed to use it or even try it!

GTsail290

What kind of tire strategy are you guys using for the V8 Supercar class? S/M?

LSX
1:30:075 on on previous setup. I've tested with the new and dipped a bit over a full second off that. Then Viper will come and knock 2 seconds off that :lol:

I wish !
1 ' 30 xxx looks pretty good actually for RM
Still working out an AI strategy so the buggers do not get in my way too much.

So far, I have done races on a M/M and M/S strategy. If I do not make too many boo-boos on Mediums, I can have them last 7 laps before going to Softs for the last 5. After doing a race with the aforementioned strategy I compared the times with a race I did the night before going 6 and 6 on Mediums. Turns out the times a very close together.:eek:

No thankfully, I just stay along the wall after I come out of the last turn and never lift :lol: not that I think there is another way to do it. I've had problems breaking late for the first hairpin on lap one and punting my competition :lol:

Anyone go sub 1:28 or low 1:28 yet?

So far, I have done races on a M/M and M/S strategy. If I do not make too many boo-boos on Mediums, I can have them last 7 laps before going to Softs for the last 5. After doing a race with the aforementioned strategy I compared the times with a race I did the night before going 6 and 6 on Mediums. Turns out the times a very close together.:eek:

Same with me. I lost the time I had saved the 4 laps on RS on the 5th lap. And my 7th on RM was suffering also.

I really picked up a lot of time going S/M. Over 12 seconds from going M/M. I've not ran production class yet though, not sure how I'm going to work that out as of yet.

Edit: 11.512 seconds total time and 1.295 for fastest lap pickup using that strategy.

Last edited:
Greetings all -
My best in the V8Supercar class so far is a 1.28.824 My braking points are pretty good, I just need to get better at a couple of corners. Boy, does the Ford Falcon wear out its front tires!

I have yet to work out my AI strategy. But my laps are starting to become consistent.:)

My best so far in the V8Production class is now down to 1.47.230 This is about as low as I can get it. It was a very good lap.

GTsail290

Last edited:
Greetings all -
My best in the V8Supercar class so far is a 1.28.824 My braking points are pretty good, I just need to get better at a couple of corners. Boy, does the Ford Falcon ware out its front tires!

The slower you go, the longer they last. 💡 GL

Don't listen to him ! It's a trick !

So how is everyone going ?
My first laps in the GT during practice did not bode well. Smacking into the Pit Lane wall not really my fault as did not know where pit lane was :dunce:
Anyway, the boys worked all night to repair Car and I must admit they did a great job.
The car felt very toit.
Yesh. Very toit.
Excellent brakes helping to reel off some pretty consistent times.
I went for safety first as there is no margin for error here.

I was particularly cautious with the Supercar as well, places to stuff it into a wall are legion.Nice and steady, the only thing being hit was the rev limiter.
Clean as a whistle but I doubt I will trouble the scorers for best lap or total this week.
Made it round though !

My braking points are pretty good, I just need to get better at a couple of corners. Boy, does the Ford Falcon wear out its front tires!

Ah, I've been having this trouble for a good deal of my time in the Camaro! Not so much this race though, wear worked out quite manageable. Times submitted 👍

Thanks for the tip Oldmodelt!

I followed the slow in and slow out method thru the corners, and I can now make my tires last the entire race! The tires stay a nice shade of blue/green. Which I find is much more soothing to the eye. Plus my team sponsors are quite happy since this has cut our tire costs in half!

GTsail290

Thanks for the tip Oldmodelt!

I followed the slow in and slow out method thru the corners, and I can now make my tires last the entire race! The tires stay a nice shade of blue/green. Which I find is much more soothing to the eye. Plus my team sponsors are quite happy since this has cut our tire costs in half!

GTsail290

And a no pit race will reward you with a 40 sec. bonus. 👍

Times submitted.

Wish I put more time into the V8 Production, I only just ran that race today, so I know it's lacking. My fastest lap being off by at least 2.5 seconds, likely even more.

My V8 Supercar run however did feel good, BUT I WONT COUNT ON IT! I've felt confident before and been whacked over the head by reality when the results come up :lol: Good race though, I really like NY, more than anywhere we've been thus far.

:D -Fingers cross for a podium- :D

I've submitted my times as well.

In the V8Supercar class, I have found that if I push even harder to set a single fast lap, my overall time suffers because my tires are gone by the last lap.:grumpy: So I stopped trying to set a fast lap and just maintained a fast overall pace.

In both classes, I ended up with one slight fender rub.:guilty: How clean has everyone else been able to do?

Just to see what the Falcon could do, I tried one race where I threw caution to the wind and went for broke. My best lap time was a smoking 1.27.767 (my overall time in this race was not very good, and it was a two stopper on racing soft tires both times).

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Last edited:
I only got one run in and it wasn't very pretty.
I expect no podium and Swift Pits Motorsports feels ashamed of their tuning this week. Anyways, time submitted.

I feel the same way for my production class run, but some points (hopefully) are better than no points and a DNF...

Just to see what the Falcon could do, I tried one race where I threw caution to the wind and went for broke. My best lap time was a smoking 1.27.767 (my overall time in this race was not very good, and it was a two stopper on racing soft tires both times).

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Wait, was that your race or was that just goofing around?

LSX

I reckon he means his goofing around race, just to see what time he could get under no pressure.

As for me I ended up having my best race with the FPV GT, go figure.
I doubt I will continue in this class, other than the odd guest drive as I do not want to muddy the waters for other competitors.

The V8 Supercar race was an interesting exercise although probably not that productive.
I only had one finish out of about half a dozen starts.
Perfectly clean although nearly had a moment at Colombus circle on the very last lap.I went for safety first and was able to churn out laps with almost identical times the whole race ( except for the first lap and the pit stop in / out laps ).
My tyre strategy was quite bizarre (RH8 / RS4) and I am not sure why I chose it.
No lap record and probably fairly slow but I thought longevity and safety first was the best method for me.
I was fairly certain a Gung Ho approach would be doomed to failure in those unforgiving canyons....

Hopefully have videos up within a couple of days.Times submitted.

LSX

I was just trying for an "un-official" lap record. Since my race included installing soft racing tires twice, it violated the race rules. And anyway, it does not give the best overall time since you don't make up the time lost on the second pit stop. I was just trying to see if I could get into the 1.27.x's.

Like I mentioned, by the end of my races, I found that I had slightly better overall times if I did not go for broke on every lap but saved my tires for the last two laps on each stint of tires. I ended up using the RM tires for two six lap stints. So if I pushed too hard, I found that my sixth and twelfth laps suffered more than the small gain from one fast lap.

This seems to be more true to those of us running the Ford Falcon. I ran the Camaro Race Car for one race as well, and could achieve similar times, and its tires did not suffer under my heavy throttle pressure as much. Its lower weight does play a factor here. Also the Camaro turns better, so it uses less of its tires to corner at the same speed.

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Sorry, I was just wondering as that's one REALLLY fast lap. Wow I'd hate to drive the Falcon then, I thought the Camaro plowed the front end a bit much so far this season!:scared:

Mind if I ask if your using a game pad or wheel? Because I seem to get slightly better tire wear with a wheel, than I could with a game pad. (Suzuka was when I made the switch.) It might all be in my head, but I was getting 6 laps on my soft tires, falling off only as much as I would run on cold mediums when I was on my in lap to the pits at the end of lap 5. Then I ran the mediums to the end, the front being orange, but never ended up completely going off.

Anyways, major lap time man! I never threw caution to the wind and mashed it to see what I could really do. Now I want to try. :lol:

LSX
.... Wow I'd hate to drive the Falcon then, I thought the Camaro plowed the front end a bit much so far this season!:scared:

Mind if I ask if your using a game pad or wheel? Because I seem to get slightly better tire wear with a wheel, than I could with a game pad.....

Anyways, major lap time man! I never threw caution to the wind and mashed it to see what I could really do. Now I want to try. :lol:

Thanks LSX -
I normally run my fastest lap during my fastest race, since that race is where everything comes together (or at least as much as I can make it so). But in the Falcon at New York I found that pushing harder on every lap was not making me faster overall, so I backed off. This situation left me feeling that much more was possible, so hence the separate attempt for a fast lap.

Now that TheStig13 has adjusted the weight of the Camaro, I think we will see better results for it. I found both cars about equal, but I think the Camaro could be faster now. It rotates thru the turns better.👍

I use a wheel, which is something I started using about 11 months ago when I started my quest for A-spec points. You might be right about the tire wear difference between the controller and the wheel. You can make faster changes of direction with the controller (you can go lock to lock much faster with the controller), so this might wear the tires slightly faster over the course of a race. I have fully retired my controller, so I can't really compare them anymore.:)

Respectfully,
GTsail290

In both classes, I ended up with one slight fender rub.:guilty: How clean has everyone else been able to do?

Looking back on my runs, the term "rubbing's racing" comes to mind :lol: I was often dreading the drive past the pit entrance for fear of the wheel deadening and the car steering itself into the pits... No penalties were incurred in either of my submitted races, but let's just say that the paint and sponsor decals need to be 'touched up' :P

As usual. My runs were both non-eventful. But I'm a pretty conservative driver. What with the AT and all. Just try to keep the big mistakes from happening. And the little ones from hurting too much.

Back