• Thread starter Stiggy
  • 29 comments
Australia
New South Wales
thestig-13
StiggyGTP
2009gtpv8.jpg

Round 6: High Speed Ring

The first GTP V8 Supercars Series has reached its halfway point with the fastest race on the calendar here at High Speed Ring.

Race Length & Information:V8 Supercars/Class 1 - 12 laps, V8 Production/Class 2 - 6 Laps

This is a sprint round so you can choose from hard and soft compound tyres and only one set of the soft tyres is allowed.

Car Specifications:
Ford Falcon XR8 Race Car: Power - 600hp (+0) Weight - 1309kg (-3)
Chevrolet Camaro Race Car: Power - 593hp (+0) Weight - (approx.) 1250kg (+8)
FPV GT: Power - 391hp (+1) Weight - 1660kg (-9)
Holden Commodore SS: Power - 390hp (+19) Weight - 1624kg (-2)

Entrants List

V8 Supercars/Class 1
5. LSX, Camaro, LSX Engineering
33. AyJay, Camaro, Garry Rogers Motorsport
38. CAMikaze, Falcon XR8, Team GTP
44. LancerEvo7GSR, Falcon XR8, East Coast Motorsports
54. viperin, Falcon XR8, Map O'Tassie
56. oldmodelt, Camaro, Vintage Motors Inc.
60. Irons, Falcon XR8, Honor Tuning Motorsport
77. C-ZETA, Falcon XR8, Corsa dell'Italia-Australia
87. oscarhardwick, Camaro, Tal-ko Performance Racing
90. GTsail290, Falcon XR8, Paul's Offshore Racing Team
95. TheStig13, Falcon XR8, Ford Australia Racing Team

V8 Production/Class 2
1. Pitracer100, FPV GT, Swift Pits Motorsport
02. Irons, FPV GT, Honor Tuning Motorsport
13. TheStig13, FPV GT, Ford Austraila Racing Team
16. oscarhardwick, Holden Commodore SS, Tal-ko Performance Racing
23, LancerEvo7GSR, FPV GT, East Coast Motorsport
34, AyJay, Holden Commodore SS, Garry Rogers Motorsport
55, LSX, Holden Commodore SS, LSX Engineering
56. oldmodelt, FPV GT, Vintage Motors Inc
88. C-ZETA, Holden Commodore SS, Corsa dell'Italia-Australia
90. GTsail290, Holden Commodore SS, Paul's Offshore Racing Team

Rookie Of The Year competitors:

Cougar23
Irons
TheStig13
oscarhardwick
viperin
LSX
C-ZETA

Results & Series Standings
attachment.php

Points: 1st: 10, 2nd: 8, 3rd: 6, 4th: 5, 5th: 4, 6th: 3, 7th: 2, 8th: 1, bonus point for fastest lap

Race Rules- Standard online rules apply
- No shortcuts and try to keep at least 2 wheels on the track at all times
- No wall-riding
- You MUST use the specifications provided
- Forced pit entry is to be used
- You must make at least 1 compulsory pitstop for tyres. If you don't make a pit stop (drive-throughs don't count) you will get a 40 second penalty. This rule does not apply to V8 Production any more as it was unnecessary
- TCS & ASM can be turned on
- AI - any level
- If you submit your time late you will recieve a 30 second penalty
- Tyre wear must be set to strong

PM me with the following details filled in before the deadline of Saturday 19th December 11:59pm GMT. Times will still be accepted until the Tuesday after the deadline, but a 30 second penalty will be applied.

User Name:
Class:
Car:
Number:
HP:
Weight:
Total Time:
Fastest Lap:
No. of Pits + Drive Through Penalties:

Hope you will enjoy the race

TheStig.

Attachments

• V8 Round 6 results.jpg
    V8 Round 6 results.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Got my two runs in. Might try it again if I get the other races done this week.

Edit. Have both V8 and S GT races done. V8 submitted.

Last edited:
I did three races, I'm submitting, I think I got the good out of it without sticking it in the wall searching for a fast lap.

G'Day all !

Have not started yet, but will have some time tomorrow night and Saturday as well.

Please give me your honest opinion if I should take up LSX's offer to drive a LSX engineering Commodore in the production class this round, or stick with the FPV or do both ? 💡

If it would upset anyone ( besides my sponsors !! ) please let me know.

Thanks.

Honestly, it's no big deal either way. I just saw you were looking to drive a loaner car. Figured I'd throw it out there. It would help Holden in the constructors and LSX-E in the team points, so I completely understand if you want to decline. :lol: Anyhow, the seat is open for HSR if you or anyone would like to drive it!

*Waxes up the #55 Production Commodore* Mmm shiny!!! :D?

LSX
Honestly, it's no big deal either way. I just saw you were looking to drive a loaner car. Figured I'd throw it out there. It would help Holden in the constructors and LSX-E in the team points, so I completely understand if you want to decline. :lol: Anyhow, the seat is open for HSR if you or anyone would like to drive it!

*Waxes up the #55 Production Commodore* Mmm shiny!!! :D?

I like shiny things.

You got yourself a Driver :)

Times submitted, earlier rather than later since I'm not sure I'd be able to get up early enough to run more races before the deadline. Which is a shame, since my Class 1 race would have been much better were it not for one-too-many wide corner exits and a rather unfriendly rumble strip next to a wall... :ouch:

Best of luck to everyone! 👍

Greetings all -

I have finished my runs in the V8 Production class and sent them in. I was able to crack the 1 minute and 18 second barrier with my Commodore.

Even though the High Speed Ring is quite high speed, I still don't use 6th gear in my Commodore! I don't know why I bother to carry it around on the race track. I'm thinking of asking TheStig13 if it would be ok to leave sixth gear in the pits. I would get a slight weight advantage that no one would know about.

Team PORT is now working on the Ford Falcon. Tire stategy is key since the Falcon just burns off its front tires. I think I will run against difficulty level 9.

Happy racing!
GTsail290

G'Day all.
Times submitted as I had a pre Christmas family lunch on today.
I tried a RS strategy to start ( 4 laps ) and then RH ( 8 laps ) for the V8 Supercar Race.
Seemed to work well, AI @ +10 but with RSS tyres so they were no problem.
I think this will end up being quicker than two stints with RH tyres.

My first exposure to the SS Commodore ( beautifully prepared in Purple by LSX Engineering I might add :) ) was pretty satisfying but I am unable to match the sub 1 '18 managed by GTsail. Nice work 👍
I don't believe I got into sixth gear either, from memory, so a bit redundant.

I think I may do a Race in the FPV GT as a comparison tonight to see if they are evenly matched or not.
Strategy was Start on SS for 5 laps then last lap on RH.
Both races clean as a whistle although I had to put the AI for Production Race a bit lower ( +2 ? ).

Good luck all.

Strategy was Start on SS for 5 laps then last lap on RH.....

Viperin - You mention a pit stop in the V8Production class. I thought that TheStig13 changed this, and the pit stop is un-necessary?

I ran all six laps on one set of soft tires. Did I do it wrong?

GTsail290

Viperin - You mention a pit stop in the V8Production class. I thought that TheStig13 changed this, and the pit stop is un-necessary?

I ran all six laps on one set of soft tires. Did I do it wrong?

GTsail290

More likely I did it wrong, oops :dunce:

Misinterpreted the info I guess ( Oldtimers disease is a terrible, um ?, you know, um ? thing ! Yes thats it !! :dopey:).

No problem I guess if I rerun it the 30 second penalty for late entry would equal doing an unnecessary pit stop so not much point.

I think my Supercar race is good enough to keep me in the hunt though.

Later !

Congratulations to GTsail290 for winning both classes this round.
See you at Motegi East for the seventh round of the series on the 8th of January 2010.

Nice Job everyone!

I have my V8Production race in my trusty Commodore, loaded to Youtube, so here it is:

I got a very nice draft off the Zonda on lap two! After that it was just smooth sailing!

A couple of the turns could have been better, but overall, I was happy with the race.

I also notice that the fastest lap time was: 1.17.722, not the 1.17.772 that I submitted to TheStig13. I'm afraid that this was a typo on my part.

I actually ran an earlier race for 8.00.550, but I did not submit it because it had a slower "best lap", and I wanted the fastest lap trophy! You can see it on my replay theater just at the start when the race is loading.

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Last edited:
Congrats GTsail!!! 👍 to Viper for fastest lap in Supercar class! And also I want to thank Viper 👍 👍 for the effort in the LSX engineering Production class Commodore, aside from the pit stop snafu, it would still have been better than I would have managed! :lol:

Is the V8 Supercar finish order correct as far as the race times go? Or was there a typo?

LSX
Congrats GTsail!!! 👍 to Viper for fastest lap in Supercar class! And also I want to thank Viper 👍 👍 for the effort in the LSX engineering Production class Commodore, aside from the pit stop snafu, it would still have been better than I would have managed! :lol:

Is the V8 Supercar finish order correct as far as the race times go? Or was there a typo?

If your time is correct as posted, I should be third not second.My time is correct.

The less said about the Production Race the better !

Nice race LSX in the V8Supercar class!

What pit stop strategy did you use?

I ran the first 8 laps on the hards and then the last 4 laps on softs. Thankfully the race was only 12 laps long, because in both cases, if I tried to run another lap, my tires would have gone off.:eek:

Very fast laps Viperin in both classes:tup:

Respectfully,
GTsail290

Thanks GTsail! I used a Soft/Medium strategy. I will say the final lap on soft was pretty scary, especially on exit of the first turn. Though though thankfully, I kept the car out of the wall and was able to make something of my race.

G'Day all !

Hope you are enjoying your holidays, I most certainly am ( a 10 day break is just the job for relaxing).

Nice work everyone, I was just pleased to keep it off the walls, so probably just a tad conservative.
I used 4 laps RS then changed to RH on my fifth lap.
With the Commodore I started on SS then changed for the last lap.
I realise now what caused my confusion on not having to pit, I read the new rules but it did not register. I thought it was referring to supercars not needing to have a rule about enforced pitstops as it is a given you have to stop anyway as it is impossible to do any of the Races without stopping.
I guess i just assumed that the Production Race pitstop rule was to introduce a bit of tactics to the racing.

My bad ( I realise what the problem is - I have been taking the Purple tablets at Lunchtime :dopey:!!! ).

It is New Years Eve ( here in the future ) and I am due to go out to a Party tonight so just in case I go missing for a couple of Days - Happy New Year everyone !

Last edited:
Mediums? I hope that's a typo... :P

It sure is not a typo, I got her home on some bright red tires if I remember correctly. I'll have to look at my notes. I thought we can choose any of the three compounds? But only one set of soft.

Edit: I see... I was using street race rules. I thought I had seen somewhere in one of the race posts we can use H/M/S compounds on any track now. I guess I was mistaken? I can't find it, so I must have been. I'll take whatever reprimands come my way. Run the rest of the season on RH or something :lol:. No, but in all seriousness, I'm sorry guys, I don't know how, but I've misinterpreted the rules, or maybe I was drunk and imagined it, sorry, I really thought I could run medium compound.

So what happens? Sit out Motegi? Points docked? Tire penalty? Pit penaltys?

*Fires crew chief for the second time this season*

Last edited:
LSX
No, but in all seriousness, I'm sorry guys, I don't know how, but I've misinterpreted the rules, or maybe I was drunk and imagined it, sorry, I really thought I could run medium compound.

So what happens? Sit out Motegi? Points docked? Tire penalty? Pit penaltys?

Everyone makes mistakes now and then.

I'm just trying to think how something like this would be handled in the real V8 Supercars... You'd possibly be made to start from the rear, and/or points docked from the championship. Not sure how to replicate/approximate starting from the rear, since we do anyway. Perhaps a pit penalty or something, or... extra ballast?

As a test, I went back to the High Speed Ring in my Ford Falcon and did a race with mediums and softs.

I was only a little bit faster on mediums than hards (the Falcon is drag limited so its no faster on the straights just faster in the turns). And then I lost a little bit of time on the last lap when the tires go orange. So overall the time difference was small.

Its up to TheStig13, but I would say let it stand and make LSX run with some extra ballast in the current race at Motegi.

Anyway its not LSX's fault, he's just the driver!

His pit crew probably didn't tell him when they snuck on those medium tires. They probably put "hard" decals on the tires to fool the race stewards!

Respectfully,
GTsail290

As a test, I went back to the High Speed Ring in my Ford Falcon and did a race with mediums and softs.

I was only a little bit faster on mediums than hards (the Falcon is drag limited so its no faster on the straights just faster in the turns). And then I lost a little bit of time on the last lap when the tires go orange. So overall the time difference was small.

Its up to TheStig13, but I would say let it stand and make LSX run with some extra ballast in the current race at Motegi.

Anyway its not LSX's fault, he's just the driver!

His pit crew probably didn't tell him when they snuck on those medium tires. They probably put "hard" decals on the tires to fool the race stewards!

Respectfully,
GTsail290

The result stands and LSX will have to race at Tokyo R246 (not Motegi as tomorrow is the deadline) with weight set at +9.

Back