GTPlanet Cool Wall: BMW 750i/iL

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 56 comments

BMW 750i/iL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But it didn't when Mercedes actually manufactured that engine at that size...

V12s from that time are weird.. But you're right.

That engine was turbocharged.

I didn't notice .. fail for me. :ouch:

The 70's and 80's were not a great time for big engines. Fours and Sixes were the primary order, eights were starting to come back, but 12s wouldn't start seeing big power regularly until the 90's IIRC.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by 2000s standards... :indiff:

Still not cool.

Uncool. Some BMWs are cool, I won't deny it. This one...isn't. Not a big fan of 4 door luxury cars, either. It just barely stayed out of Seriously Uncool due to rear wheel drive and a V12.

Sub-zero. back in the 90's, my mechanic had an '89 750 in his workshop. it's black w/beige leather, clear windows and BBS RS wheels. nothing special. I asked him what it's here for. he said the helicopter pilot that owns it is leaving it here for a week, as it needs a tune up. okaaaayyyyy... he lifts the bonnet and there is one turbo on the left and another turbo on the right. he then says, the work is already done, he has 4 more nights before pick up and he doesn't know how fast it goes because the speedometer isn't high enough!

It's okay for a sleeper but it's just an ordinary BMW so it's a meh from me.

The older they get, the cooler they get, though not quite as cool as the 560SEL.

Doesn't stand out and blends in with other on the street. Has anemic power for a V12 and is just not appealing to me. Uncool.

Actually modifying it, giving it a manual and two turbos and it'd be cool or maaaaaybe sub-zero becuase awesome sleeper.

But we're still judging the cars while stock. :indiff:

Has anemic power for a V12 and is just not appealing to me. Uncool.

But you so adamantly defend Mustang Cobra II's 140 HP out of a 5.0L V8? An engine with the same displacement but less than half the power?

E31 is ten times cooler.

Bmw_e23_Park.jpg

The E38 isn't bad, either. :drool:

But you so adamantly defend Mustang Cobra II's 140 HP out of a 5.0L V8? An engine with the same displacement but less than half the power?

I could give a 🤬 about horsepower. I'm in it for the torque. Then again, this car has 4 more cylinders and still doesn't put out a whole lot, as its something a lot of V8s can do quite easily. That 5.0 can easily churn out that kind of power at a lower RPM for not a lot of green. In fact 3 or 4 cheap mods will get you 350 in crank horsepower and equal torque,

If you're in it for the torque, the 750i has more of it, 330ft. lbs. to be exact.

Also what any car can do with modifications is largely irrelevant when discussing the merits of the vehicles in question. As soon as you start playing the modification card you can literally make any car faster/quicker than any other car.

I'm sorry but I still find that pathetic for a V12. Guess that's just me.

But a Ford V8 of the same displacement that makes 155 less horsepower and 70 less lb-ft of torque is A-Okay in your books? Seems legit.

I could give a 🤬 about horsepower. I'm in it for the torque. Then again, this car has 4 more cylinders and still doesn't put out a whole lot, as its something a lot of V8s can do quite easily. That 5.0 can easily churn out that kind of power at a lower RPM for not a lot of green. In fact 3 or 4 cheap mods will get you 350 in crank horsepower and equal torque,

Torque?

Mustang II: 250 ft-lbs
750i: 330 ft-lbs

Oh hai, that's over 30% more than a V8 engine of the same displacement.

If you have a 1L V12, do you still expect it to make gazillions of torque?

Here's a fun fact, the M70 was the basis of the engine that powered the McLaren F1. What a pathetic engine.

Also what any car can do with modifications is largely irrelevant when discussing the merits of the vehicles in question. As soon as you start playing the modification card you can literally make any car faster/quicker than any other car.

^This.

Displacement is irrelevant when you have more cylinders firing on a single crank.

I don't consider a 5.0L V8 to be large either.

What is the point of comparing a BMW V12 to a Ford V8 from different eras?

Because Slashfan thinks it's unacceptable for BMW's V12 to have 300 horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque, but will defend Ford's 302 V8 that has 140 horsepower and 250 lb-ft to the death. :crazy:

Doesn't stand out and blends in with other on the street. Has anemic power for a V12 and is just not appealing to me. Uncool.

If you're in it for the torque, the 750i has more of it, 330ft. lbs. to be exact.

Slash, BMW V12s are also severely limited. Only downside is weight of the 7 series. But let me ask you this, then.

What are the classes of a Mustang, and a 7 series? Are they in the same class? Do they have the same intentions?

Let me give the answers:
Different classes. No. No.

Two completely different cars. The BMW engine is for refinement, not for brute power.

They also made a V16 version as a test bed.. 'Goldfish' or the 767iL

The E32 is probably my least favourite of all the 7ers, but I do like sevens, especially V12 versions, I just don't like the lwb varieties, they always look disproportionate.

I'm torn, since I'm a massive BMW fan I would vote cool, because if I see a mint one rolling around town I do think its cool, but too many that I see have aftermarket wheels 100% black tint windows.. And have been badly looked after.

Hmmm

Uncool, because it looks like a generic BMW of the the time. The best thing I can say about the exterior is that it looks unoffensive.

Slash, BMW V12s are also severely limited. Only downside is weight of the 7 series. But let me ask you this, then.

What are the classes of a Mustang, and a 7 series? Are they in the same class? Do they have the same intentions?

Let me give the answers:
Different classes. No. No.

Two completely different cars. The BMW engine is for refinement, not for brute power.

Fair enough.

Not meaning to butt in or take sides, but I just thought I'd throw something in the pot here: sometimes the ease of modification is what makes an otherwise plain or unremarkable car cool. It's not common, but it's not exactly the rarest thing, either.

But anyway, I don't think that's the case for either of the two cars in question; just something to take into account in future Cool Wall votes.

Edit: By 'Ease of Modification', I don't mean something like throw two turbochargers on some random car and calling it a day.

Last edited:
Back