• 51-100

Votes: 68 31.5%
  • 100-200

Votes: 92 42.6%
  • 200 or higher

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
14, FTTP, NC, USA. Plays great until the Brazilian comes blowing through the track skittering all over the place and knocking people off the track like a purple shell.

For those with network knowledge - are teleporting cars being affected by high pings or packet loss?

For those with network knowledge - are teleporting cars being affected by high pings or packet loss?

It's difficult to say. There are too many unknown variables. For example, what does "ping" mean? Is it going to Sony servers, GTS servers, P2P server? Are races on dedicated servers or P2P? And we can't see others pings. And we could have low ping but high packet loss, or high ping low packet loss. And how many edge devices are affecting the user?

Just too hard to tell right now. I'd say it's similar to FPS. You want the closest geographically and optimimumly connected server for best results.

154ms in France :banghead:

else, in real life :
Débit descendant : 23413 kbps (2858 Kio/s) - Débit montant : 9141 kbps (1115.8 Kio/s) - Ping : 17 ms

I think, server re in the US

Last edited:
Always 100ms give or take a few, & four bars. Not too bad for my aged ADSL wired connection.

With all of the Ping times and locations noted in this thread, I've been able to narrow the server location to this 'little' portion of the North America:

pd-gts-servers.jpg

Sony North America is headquartered in New York (on Madison Avenue, if anyone's interested), but SIE North America has offices in Toronto.

Good analysis, @Famine.

The last time I packet-sniffed Gran Turismo network traffic (yeah, I'm a nerd), a good portion of requests were being routed to AWS's (Amazon Web Services) US-East-1 datacenter region. That's Amazon's original and most popular region, and it's located in northern Virginia... which just so happens to be near the exact center of your map.

Probably a combo. The reason cars with bad connections teleport is because the game temporarily loses track of them, so the car continues on its last known trajectory until the game receives another packet, goes "oh, this is where this car is supposed to be, and then moves it to its proper place. It doesn't help that high ping rates also mean a higher chance for packet loss.

@Jordan could probably go into more detail, but that's the skinny of it, I think.

Good analysis, @Famine.

The last time I packet-sniffed Gran Turismo network traffic (yeah, I'm a nerd), a good portion of requests were being routed to AWS's (Amazon Web Services) US-East-1 datacenter region. That's Amazon's original and most popular region, and it's located in northern Virginia... which just so happens to be near the exact center of your map.

Explains my good ping! I'm in central Ohio. Thank you Amazon Web Services! :)

Last edited:
From the beginning of Beta my ping was constantly at 125. My question: As my ping-numbers are colored yellow, does the color change when the ping is higher or lower?

Then this could be an indikator to see whether your ping is good or bad, -- or something in between.

Do we also have red numbers?

Yep also very low ping 10-20 FttH. I wish the GTS servers were in Amsterdam near the AMS-IX.
Based on the average of 100-110 in the GTS screen I assume/expect the European GTS servers are located in London.

I'm about 30 miles south of London with a wired 200mbps fibre setup and ping is still +-110 ‍♂️

Got a ping of 130-170 from Germany, 100mbits, other games are not interesting, it's where the servers are located, seems to be far far away :(

For some unknown reason, my ping today was 37 - 41, instead of the usual 100 odd.

Went from 110 to 16 here. Looking at the ping from other fellow dutchies it looks like there might be a server in PD's Amsterdam office. Can't imagine how else our ping is so low. It's the lowest ping I've had in online games so it can't be that far away for me. ;)

19 but with major lag problems,cars were all over the place.
Had to quit.
yep me too. normally 100 now 14ms but with a lot of lag.

Don;t forget that the host on the server side also can play/tweak with the access time etc. They are still beta testing :dopey:

It looks like they turned off the US servers and turned on the EU servers. My ping in the US has always been in the 30-40 range but last night it was 140 but on a good note I didn't see any warping or lagging. The EU guys are reporting lagging and warping give it a couple days and it will smooth out I hope.

Back