HD Music Videos via PSN - UPDATE: Launch of Free VidZone Service

It's also annoying to find an artist you like, and then find out there's only 2 of their tracks. It needs more tracks for every artist.

Before doing more tracks for every artist can it have some tracks for other popular artists such as Green Day and Muse? Muse is listed as being a artist, but no tracks appear under it. I'm hoping this will change soon, and Green Day just doesn't exist. Apparently.

But I have been using the system more often and I'm definately enjoying it. Could be excellent once the library of songs and artists is built up more. 👍

One thing I can't understand is how this service is better than streaming YouTube through my PS3. I understand that the Videos are in HD on VidZone, but not all of them are. Eerily, I was listening to Michael Jackson's Billy Jean the other day, and that video was not in HD, I don't think it was even in SD!

If you want to listen to music, I would say that YouTube is much better than this service, simply because YouTube has a vastly bigger collection of songs to choose from. But, if you want to watch the videos, then this service may or may not be better than YouTub, dependant on the quality of the video.

Overall, I'm neutral about this application. It could do with some major improvements to its back catalogue, and the search functionality could do with a little tweaking, but the idea itself is sound. Lets hope that Sony build upon this. 👍

It's also annoying to find an artist you like, and then find out there's only 2 of their tracks. It needs more tracks for every artist.

Your lucky you found an artist you liked! I flipped over to the dance section hoping to find enlightenment, but was presented with 30 tracks from the likes of Cascada and Basshunter! FFS, that's not dance, it pants! :lol:

One thing I can't understand is how this service is better than streaming YouTube through my PS3.

Doesn't Youtube on the PS3 still stop UK citizens from watching most official music videos? 👎

One thing I can't understand is how this service is better than streaming YouTube through my PS3. I understand that the Videos are in HD on VidZone, but not all of them are. Eerily, I was listening to Michael Jackson's Billy Jean the other day, and that video was not in HD, I don't think it was even in SD!
Vidzone isn't HD, its just a much better resolution and much higher bitrate than YouTube, both in terms of picture and sound quality.

Older videos are also going to suffer a lot in comparison to modern ones, mainly down to the tech used at the time, and that will apply in particular to stuff from the '80s. Even when its shown on the likes of MTV, videos from the 80's almost always look very, very soft.

If you want to listen to music, I would say that YouTube is much better than this service, simply because YouTube has a vastly bigger collection of songs to choose from. But, if you want to watch the videos, then this service may or may not be better than YouTub, dependant on the quality of the video.
YouTube does have a much better range to pick from, mainly because a lot of the content is not legally licenced, and also because its been up and running for a lot longer. If we were to be fair about it, I don't think that YouTube would have been that impressive two weeks in.

It also has a wide range of quality issues with it, some of the stuff on YouTube is great, but just as much sounds awful.

Overall, I'm neutral about this application. It could do with some major improvements to its back catalogue, and the search functionality could do with a little tweaking, but the idea itself is sound. Lets hope that Sony build upon this. 👍
As long as they grow the catalogue at a good rate I certainly will use it, I already do a lot, and have found some tracks that I certainly didn't expect to find. On the flip side the lack of Muse tracks still annoys.

The search tool however needs a revision, having to add 'The ' at the start of names is just daft.

Your lucky you found an artist you liked! I flipped over to the dance section hoping to find enlightenment, but was presented with 30 tracks from the likes of Cascada and Basshunter! FFS, that's not dance, it pants! :lol:
Don't bother with the search by genre tool, it seems to not want to include huge parts of the catalogue. The 'search by artist' and then when a track is playing the 'Find similar' are the best tools to find stuff.

Regards

Scaff

Slightly off topic:

For those that don't have access to VidZone I can recommend this:

http://labs.joost.com/tv

Is still in very early beta so the search is semifunctional, but it is ok quality on the material.
Above youtube and probably a bit below Vidzone at its best. This is the same service as the joost you can access thru the browser but with a simpler frontend.

And how do I access this?

It's available as a download on the Playstation Store, however it is only available in these countries, UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Australia.

Found this after I saw TM mentioning it. Impressed so far, still early stages and plenty to improve on. Disappointed with a lack of Chili's. Decent variety of Foo's to make a Foo's playlist (though if the PS3 is on, I chuck their Blu-Ray on from Wembley, which is just epic).

What's it like for AC/DC, Led Zep, Iron Maiden, etc?

I wish they wouldnt put adverts every 20 seconds or so throughout the song, I would prefer static adverts between songs for a few seconds or so (so its more like real music tv channels).

So far Vidzone has been ok but out of the 2 times Ive used it its crashed 3 times back to the XMB, still really buggy. :ill:

Robin.

I've asked in another thread already, however I can't use Vidzone anymore!
It always tells me "Fatal Error" and something like it's not available in my country. This is really bugging me as I'd like to use it sometimes and I also want to know what's wrong there - I am in Germany (supported country ) and it worked before 3.1 system update. I delete and reinstalled Vidzone, but still won't work.
Any ideas what's wrong with it?
I could call Sony, but I doubt that be very helpful ( from my experience they have very little knowledge about their network...). :(

Edit/ update:
LOL ok nobody's reading or bothered to reply, but it's really gotten even more mysterious... I'm at a friend's house (in another city) with my PS3 and Vidzone works! Superslow, but works. :) Question how can my internet at home be so mess up that Vidzone doesn't recognise in which country I am?
I WILL call Sony soon, but I'm sure they gonna tell me talk to my ISP and vice versa :banghead:

Last edited:
Back