Headphones

• Thread starter Dose555
  • 34 comments
United States
Arizona
Stan-Halen--
Hi everyone. I assume a lot of you wear headphones like I do while playing GT Sport or any other game. I've had a pair of Turtle Beach Earforce X11's since my old XBox 360 days, they're about 8ish years old. I bought a PS4 when it came out, but liked those headphones so much that I ordered the adapter thing to make XBox headphones compatible on a PS4 (it's called an earforce DAC1 or something). However, I think the headphones are finally checking out. I'm getting some occasional static in my right ear and it's steadily getting worse.

I was wondering what kind of headphones you guys/girls wear while playing and if you're happy with them? Of course I'll do some additional research online but wanted to check-in with others that play the same (racing) games. I'd also be using them on my PC to listen to music, etc... Obviously, comfort and sound are most important. Thanks.

First of all, gaming headphones are almost always a waste of money. At the very best, you'll get something roughly as good at something worth a quarter of the price. Turtle Beaches or Astros are so poorly-made that I'm incredibly impressed that they lasted eight years at all.

If you have half an hour to spare, watch this. The whole thing. He covers a wide variety of cans, how they sound, differences between open and closed cans, a **** load of brands and price ranges, DACs, amps, what it takes to drive high impedance headphones etc. Anybody interested in looking for the 'right' pair of headphones should definitely watch that video.

Personally, I use a pair of Philips SHP9500's - probably about the best you can get for the price point. Buy these and a V-MODA BoomPro and you've got a pair of very quality cans and a great microphone - for a fraction of the cost, and it'll last you far longer. I could pelt these headphones at my wall as hard as I could and I would be reasonably confident they would still work. Plus you can unplug them at the ear if you wanted to get a longer or shorter cable or what have you, something most gaming headsets won't do.

I use my Bose QC 25 since I built my rig , But noise cancelling is over kill, so im shopping myself. Ive got em running off a denon receiver in pure direct mode. Sounds good. Before I built the rig I was playing in the theater which features full atmos surround . The surround mix in granturismo is excellent , I really miss it , but the headphones do a good job though they can never compare.

After doing a bit of research, I settled on the HyperX Cloud Revolver. Have to say I'm very happy with the choice. The sound is very good and they are built to last. The expanded soundstage works great in games and also makes music more enjoyable also. HyperX makes a full lineup for any budget and they all have positive reviews. Too bad you can't use the mic in Sport Mode.. or maybe not. :lol:

I just found the headphones with the best spec, which I took as the largest driver unit. The sound is phenomenal in GT-Sport.

My problem with over ear headphones is my ears get hot and itchy after a few hours, i would like some tcup headphones that dont touch my ears and are just suspended over them.
The PSVR in ear headphones I could wear all day. I expect there are some better quality ones I could get, but my cats chew the lead when Im in VR and they want my attention. The cheap ones are cheap to replace, Im on my 3rd pair.

OH WOW I have just found wireless in ear headphones exist - boooo they rely on bluetooth so couldnt be plugged into PSVR 360 surround audio.

Last edited:
I would never recommend you buy what I have since my budget for audio equipment is stupidly unjustified. (I spend way too much)
That being said, the PS4 controller can't support proper headphones if you're going to plug it in to the 3.5 on it. good headphones require more power.

What I could ask is, what is your budget? if its the same as the previous headphone price than for 60$... it will be difficult to get a good pair. (sound/build quality). If you're willing to spend a bit more (roughly in the low hundreds) i could recommend..

1. Bower & Wilkins P3 Series 2 (if you dont mind on-ear)
2. Sony MDR-XB950AP (on-ear)
3. Focal Listen (over ear)
4. Sony MDR-1A (over ear)
5. B&O Beoplay H2 (on-ear)
6. AKG Y50 (on-ear)
7. AKG 550 MK2 (over ear)
8. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (over ear)

This is a rough list of headphones i've tried at stores, hifi events, can jam. etc...

The headphones I use for my PS4 controller is the Bower & Wilkins P7. because its efficient enough for mobile use and open enough for gaming with enough bass to satisfy my needs. I'm not a bass head so too much bass is something im not really into, i'd rather have crisp punchy bass, not booming muddy bass.

If you have any questions, let me know.

its a shame this thread isn't general audio, I'm pondering a cheap soundbar instead of my tv speakers. Im already using the optical out port for my butt kicker, so it would need to plug into the tv.
I would love a general audio thread for GT Sport fans. because hearing engine noises or the lounge music in the Home is enjoyable.

If i were you however, i would ditch the soundbar and sub and get a pair of KEF LS50's (not self powered).
I love my pair, they sound amazing without a sub and for a normal sized room. perfectly adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
...googled kEF ls50 {wiping tea off keypad}

My budget is less than £200

Oh it was only the first few google ads at £2000, £750 is still a bit steep for me.

Titan here, I really rate them tbh
Do you have a model number?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like my Sennheiser Game One headphones, bought two years ago.
Great sound, and really nice mic. Very comfortable, and lots of compatibility in connection.

I have the Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum headphones. They are a bit pricey, I think mine costed me around $230-260 CDN total. They have great sound quality, very comfortable and work on all my platforms so I'm happy with them.

Great for racing games but I like them best for PubG. The surround sound is excellent, I can hear exactly where engine noises, footsteps, etc are coming from.

Last edited:
...googled kEF ls50 {wiping tea off keypad}

My budget is less than £200

Oh it was only the first few google ads at £2000, £750 is still a bit steep for me.
Yeah, im in Canada, so i paid roughly $1,300 + Tax for a pair of non-self powered. i got the piano black finish with copper center.

I would never recommend you buy what I have since my budget for audio equipment is stupidly unjustified. (I spend way too much)
That being said, the PS4 controller can't support proper headphones if you're going to plug it in to the 3.5 on it. good headphones require more power.

What I could ask is, what is your budget? if its the same as the previous headphone price than for 60$... it will be difficult to get a good pair. (sound/build quality). If you're willing to spend a bit more (roughly in the low hundreds) i could recommend..

1. Bower & Wilkins P3 Series 2 (if you dont mind on-ear)
2. Sony MDR-XB950AP (on-ear)
3. Focal Listen (over ear)
4. Sony MDR-1A (over ear)
5. B&O Beoplay H2 (on-ear)
6. AKG Y50 (on-ear)
7. AKG 550 MK2 (over ear)
8. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (over ear)

This is a rough list of headphones i've tried at stores, hifi events, can jam. etc...

The headphones I use for my PS4 controller is the Bower & Wilkins P7. because its efficient enough for mobile use and open enough for gaming with enough bass to satisfy my needs. I'm not a bass head so too much bass is something im not really into, i'd rather have crisp punchy bass, not booming muddy bass.

If you have any questions, let me know.
I'm eyeing the sony 1A . Reviews have been great.

I used the ps4 gold series for a while and they did the job but decided to buy a new pair. I looked at reviews and went with
steel series arctis 7. They are much heavier than the ps4 gold; however, they sound much better and block out more outside noise. Although heavier, they are still comfortable for long periods. I also like that the mic retracts in the base of the can, too. I haven't used the mic so I cant comment on it nor can I compare the cans to anything else but ps4 golds as my headphones for listening to music are in-ear.

Edit - Amazon has them for $150 right now but I used camelcamelcamel to tell me when they were $100

I would love a general audio thread for GT Sport fans. because hearing engine noises or the lounge music in the Home is enjoyable.

There's a "what's you setup thread" in the Rumble Strip.

If I'm using headphones, I use Sennhesier HD-580 Precision II's that I've had for good knows how long. Always liked them for music, seem good enough for GTS.

There's a "what's you setup thread" in the Rumble Strip.

If I'm using headphones, I use Sennhesier HD-580 Precision II's that I've had for good knows how long. Always liked them for music, seem good enough for GTS.
I've never heard the HD-580's. but i've tried the 600,650 and newer 660S and the PS4 controller can't really power them properly. its so quiet even with max controller 3.5 volume :(

I'm eyeing the sony 1A . Reviews have been great.
The Sony 1A are a solid choice for their price range. but again, the best thing to do is try them on at a store. bring some music on your phone or player. plug it in and try it on store. listen to 15mins worth of music. then decide if you like them.

you dont want to buy headphones online without trying fitments, headband and clamp pressure. its diffirent for everyone and you might not like the feel, weight or maybe it sqeaks if its made in plastic like certain Sennhesiers.

Last edited:
I use Steelseries Siberia V2 headset, pretty comfy- otherwise i use a bluetooth speaker connected via AUX when I don't feel like wearing them. I also have Steelseries Arctis 5 but they're not as comfortable.

I've never heard the HD-580's. but i've tried the 600,650 and newer 660S and the PS4 controller can't really power them properly. its so quiet even with max controller 3.5 volume :(

These 580's are quite old, from back in the day when I used to sell HiFi... not heard anything by Sennheiser first hand for a few years now. I run 'em off my AV amp. Used to be a bit of a bind when I had a wheel, with the cable getting snagged, but now I'm back on the controller it's no problem. They came with a 3m cable as standard which is more than enough, and my amp will push out more than enough current through the headphone socket.

These 580's are quite old, from back in the day when I used to sell HiFi... not heard anything by Sennheiser first hand for a few years now. I run 'em off my AV amp. Used to be a bit of a bind when I had a wheel, with the cable getting snagged, but now I'm back on the controller it's no problem. They came with a 3m cable as standard which is more than enough, and my amp will push out more than enough current through the headphone socket.
Yeah, I still need to find another DAC/AMP combo for my playstation 4. i was thinking Fostex HP-A4. its enough i think for a ps4. don't really need more.

I usually play through the tv but at night will change over to my PlayStation Platinum Headphones. I find them very good and they were not too expensive at €160.

First of all, gaming headphones are almost always a waste of money. At the very best, you'll get something roughly as good at something worth a quarter of the price. Turtle Beaches or Astros are so poorly-made that I'm incredibly impressed that they lasted eight years at all.

If you have half an hour to spare, watch this. The whole thing. He covers a wide variety of cans, how they sound, differences between open and closed cans, a **** load of brands and price ranges, DACs, amps, what it takes to drive high impedance headphones etc. Anybody interested in looking for the 'right' pair of headphones should definitely watch that video.

Personally, I use a pair of Philips SHP9500's - probably about the best you can get for the price point. Buy these and a V-MODA BoomPro and you've got a pair of very quality cans and a great microphone - for a fraction of the cost, and it'll last you far longer. I could pelt these headphones at my wall as hard as I could and I would be reasonably confident they would still work. Plus you can unplug them at the ear if you wanted to get a longer or shorter cable or what have you, something most gaming headsets won't do.

Just use Sony MDR5's

I use the PS4 Gold Headset. I can’t complain. The bass is a bit low, but the virtual sorround works fine. I like playing with it, more than I did using my Apple one.

I also use the heqdset, did you know there is an app for it so you change settungs? its in the ps store. Cheers

Back