Help: FWD (FF) "Drift?

• Thread starter Khalym
  • 33 comments
Khalym
Hey,

I was just wondering if it's possible to actually drift/powerslide with FF-drivetrain cars without a permanent E-brake. If you do know, could you explain how to do it, settings, tyres and aids? :)

If it's not possible to do without permanent, how can I make it look a bit nicer WITH permanent? Priority on non-permanent way, though. :)

Thanks,

-Khalym

I regret to inform you but the probability is very unlikely for you to get the FF drivetrain to slide very well in the "drift" favor..just simply because the second you get some angle, if you even think about giving it some throttle it just powers right out of it and straightens out :(

Not sure how to guide you on this, most people will probably flame which is really a waste of space. But I like your wanting to be creative, it's just not in the best of interest to powerslide with a fwd car. Learn to slide with all wheel then convert to the awesome rear-wheel :) You will have fun. Trust me.

I had a good laugh 'drifting' my mogul civic doing the SE7 on Tsukuba. I slid around a few turns but they were only slides as its impossible to drift a FF car

heheh.... you can always try racing soft front and comfort hard rears. You wont have to hold the e brake on but you'll still need use it quite a bit. i've managed a lap or two that *kinda* looked like drifting in a FWD before.

But honestly, it's more of a silly diversion than anything else. you'll soon grow bored.

Take stunts advice.

its more like power sliding. i have tried drifting in my RL FF car lol and you can have fun power sliding but thats about all

The way to slide an FF is not by holding the handbrake on but to tap it persistently as needed to slide the back end out while still keeping the throttle on.

This can actually help with normal driving as well to be honest, I've done a couple of the FF license tests this way as it kills understeer.

I thought AWD drifting was bad... But FF "drifting" is the WORSE!

CHAPTER I: Participating Vehicle Regulations

1. Only stock car bodies of mass production vehicles manufactured and sold by automobile manufacturers are allowed. Vehicles with pipe-frame structures are not allowed to enter.

2. Participating vehicles must always perform vehicle registration

Note: Submission of a registration certificate is required at the time of application for the first entry of each year.

3. Open-top vehicles must attach a hard top.

4. Vehicles with radically different outward appearances from the original production vehicle are prohibited.

5. The only drive methods allowed shall be FR, MR, RR, and FF.

So, do we need to post another sticky regarding drivetrain bigotry?

FWD can drift. What it can't do is maintain the lurid powerslides that make RWD and AWD drifts so spectacular.

It's very difficult to maintain a constant and consistent angle with a front driver in GT5. Depending on your preferences, it's either an invigorating challenge or a controller smashing annoyance.

FWD can not drift, the back end just slides out. So the proper wording would be skidding.

as for the question the OP asked, I find it best to go into the corner a little faster then you should. I can get the back end out pretty far with my race mod EK CIVIC, it's kind of tricky because each corner you might have to go fast into the corner or slow a little until you start turning then gun it. 1 of 2 things will happen

1) you will go around the turn roasting your tires (always fun to do in a FWD)
2) you will get the back to kick out

sorry there are 3 things

3) you will under steer really really bad...lol

Thanks for all the comments. I was just wondering now, how can I make the rear of the FF cars, say Integra TYPE R, to slide out like the Civic video above? What settings/tyres/aids should I use, and how do I make it slide? :) Or "powerslide".

Thanks so far,

-Khalym

Thanks for all the comments. I was just wondering now, how can I make the rear of the FF cars, say Integra TYPE R, to slide out like the Civic video above? What settings/tyres/aids should I use, and how do I make it slide? :) Or "powerslide".

Thanks so far,

-Khalym

Should be as stiff as you can on the back and normal setup on the front?

You need to get as much oversteer from the end as you can manage to..

Thanks so far,

-Khalym

Just hold down Circle like the guy in the vid did.

"FWD drifting" isn't so much a drift as it is "ass dragging" as the entire layout of a FWD car basically causes a car not to want to slide it's tail end out. There are a few cars over in Japans D1 a while back that were FWD and they never made it past qualifying. It wasn't because they weren't showy. It was just because they basically bald spotted their back tires and little else.

Just watch the above vid and Borodi's and look at the back tires. It's Ebrake all day. Sure your sliding the back end out but are you honestly pushing the back tires out or are you just swinging them out with an Ebrake?

Though I guess this falls into a personal opinion that if anyone who uses the ebrake "excessively" doesn't know what the hell drifting really is.

Last edited:
FWD can not drift, the back end just slides out. So the proper wording would be skidding.

So true! In fact...

Wait...

Dear Lord! Stop it! Stop committing crimes against nature!

But seriously... last I looked, you had to "skid" to "drift."

ZSPaulus
Niky; stop trying to make a point that is simply incorrect. If thats the case;

this dog is drifting through the kitchen;
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vRm5cvZMrc">YouTube Link</a>

Oh wait bike "drifting"!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brD43o1jLOg">YouTube Link</a>

Some very nice drifting in this vid too:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiE-RyTQPlg">YouTube Link</a>

Never mind man; lets call everything where a tire looses grip a "drift"; yeah lets do that...

So you're saying that even the drift competition rulebooks have it wrong? Somebody go tell the Japanese that they don't know a thing about drifting...

I'm not saying Front-drivers are great drifters... far from it... But the facts are, front-drivers can and do drift in professional drift competitions. They just aren't competitive. Even worse, as the video illustrates, they can't hold the same lines in tandem drifts, which hurts their scores greatly in a sport that's scored on its aesthetics.

And yes, you haven't lived till you've drifted a big wheel.

The word "drift" is not like the word "ballet"... It's more like the word "dance," you don't have to be able to stand on your tiptoes and wear a tutu to drift.

Never mind man; lets call everything where a tire looses grip a "drift"; yeah lets do that...

By the dictionary definition it is. The regulated sport of drifting though has restrictions as to what qualifies as a 'drift' which includes FF cars using the hand brake to lose rear traction.

In reply to Niky;

Hey, I didn&#8217;t say they weren&#8217;t aloud to enter drift comps.. you are very right in saying the D1 regulations do allow FWD cars. But the fact that there hasn&#8217;t been any entrants in the last few years (i have no data on that) proves to me that they (the FWD cars , not the drivers) cant drift. Otherwise there would be some FWD Drivers actually competing somewhere mid level of the field right?

A "drift" in my opinion is a car that&#8217;s in oversteer and can keep that oversteer for an unlimited amount of time (off course tires will burst, road will end or fuel will run out, but theoretically its possible). This is what you see RWD cars do in D1 or FD.

A "slide" or "skid" in my opinion is what i posted in my you tube examples. And an FWD car is perfectly capable of doing that in a D1, FD or any other drift comp. But as all they can do is e-brake, loose speed, grip up, and accelerate to do it all over again; they are scored far lower then the RWD cars who can make controlled initiations and continue and exit drifts nicely..

I would say a drift is a slide that doesn&#8217;t end until the car runs out of power or when the driver chooses to. FWD drivers cannot continue their slide without basically removing the rear tires (By nonstop application of the e-brake). They could also just fit rubber pads where the tires where just to create the smoke. Example; even with the e-brake fully applied; an FWD car could not drift in circles all day long. It needs the entry speed (and the loosing of it by e-brake) to let the back end step out. When the car has reached a certain speed; the rear wheels will start following the front ones again..

Finally; and this is more to point it out to you then make a smart remark; even though I don&#8217;t agree with you on the dancing; is:
The word "drift" is not like the word "ballet"... It's more like the word "dance," you don't have to be able to stand on your tiptoes and wear a tutu to drift.
You probably meant to say "dance" instead of "drift" in that last word.
But I like the comparison:
Not everyone who can dance can do ballet. It takes a lot of knowledge, technique and skill and in some cases; some equipment.
Same as: Not every car/person that can do a slide (FR, AWD, RR, FF doesn&#8217;t matter), as in pull the e-brake, slide, grip up en drive away, can drift. It takes a lot of knowledge, technique and skill. And in this case; some equipment.

As on FM.net (where we&#8217;ve also had this discussion go on for ages) I will now stop posting in these topics. You now know my opinion (cause that&#8217;s all this here is, is opinions), and I know yours.. Its just weird to hear mods try to moderate this discussion; and believe they have final say in this. LINK

they are just holding the e-brake and sliding. drifting is using the POWER from the rear wheels to maintain a slide.

granted I give them props for that and I think it's pretty cool, but it is not the same thing. They are just dragging the rear behind them.

^I agree with the post above

This stuf kept brainstorming in my mind...

Came up with a lol idea:

Take a big 4WD truck, a big rope, and a small car thats on the E-brake or Park gear for automatics..

Tie the small car to the big car and start racing around in the big car while toeing the small car. Lol, massive smoke coming from all 4 tires of the small car, or it might just start to roll over; just as good..

Anyone got a small car to spare? Who wants to be in the small car? ill be in full throttle in the big one..

I actually had a serious go at 'drifting' my civic and spoon integra and managed to all of autumn ring mini reverse. My e-brake was on nearly the entire time haha.

Then again he also did state should we have another stick about drive train bigotry?. Oddly, someone posting videos reminded me of this:

. The only reason why they close these topics is because no one helps the OP or it brings about a flame war.

...I never understood what all the fuss was about. o_O

I always thought of drift as "controlled oversteer", regardless of drivetrain layout.

...I never understood what all the fuss was about. o_O

I always thought of drift as "controlled oversteer", regardless of drivetrain layout.

Exactly. Drift literally means to move while subject to external force, in the case of cars this is lateral movement brought about by the cars momentum over powering their applied forward force. Or going sideways in layman terms.

AWD is frowned upon because as far as I know no professional league allows it within the regulations, but are still technically capable of performing a drift maneuver. FF cars are both capable of it and permitted, they just aren't competitive with FR cars.

Latest Posts

Back