How would you improve the WTCC?

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 48 comments
It would be great if they did manage to pull it off. They'd no doubt need to use the GP section too. Single seaters and full-on GT cars would be too much for that circuit these days, but lower powered Touring Cars would be ideal. Looking at the 2011 calender, they already run at some classic venues, add the Nurburgring to that and the marketing potential it offers might be enough to rejuvenate the series.

Add Bathurst and tracks like that. I don't see it being too much of a problem at the Nordschleife because the VLN seem to run there just fine, and thats low-level GT racing.
The only issue is paying for all the marshals and emergency equipment around the circuit. It would also be a challenge to place cameras throughtout the circuit - the logistics appear to be the biggest problem.

I like the idea of a dedicated stream site for a monthly fee that shows absolutely every motor race live. I'd sign up for that in a flash.

You make that happen, and there's a dollar and a tea biscuit in it for you! Sadly, we don't get much of anything but NASCAR over here in the states. Every major network channel as well as their cable affiliates has license to air programming. And that's all you see for the most part. You may occasionally comes across some 5 minutes of highlights from a GT series. You will see more motor cycle circuit racing than anything. But still even that's rare. (sigh) Mostly NASCAR, or monster trucks or motocross. :grumpy:

Simply make everyone use a tuned production engine from 1.5 to 2.0 liters. but FIA wouldn't even care about this because all they're trying recently is forcing every single category to use 1,6-liter engines which even Rebecca Black can make

The first thing is to make sure that everyone benefits from works/manufacturer budgets by mandating that a manufacturer's current cars must be avaialble to privateers, as well as imposing large fines on manufacturers/works teams that sell privateers downgraded cars without telling them.

The second is to get the cars closer to what you can buy for street use. Make sure most parts are the same as those used on the production cars, and require something like 30,000 units to be built for street use so high-priced, track-focused homologation specials can't be used to circumvent this requirement.

but FIA wouldn't even care about this because all they're trying recently is forcing every single category to use 1,6-liter engines
Uh-huh. And have you checked out the WRC lately? Those turbocharged 1.6L engines hum along at a fair rate of knots and sound pretty throaty. So much so that they easily out-strip the 2.0L variants.

I wouldn't say that interludes, they are only slightly faster on the twistier stages, as they've lost about 70-80 lb-ft of torque.

Uh-huh. And have you checked out the WRC lately? Those turbocharged 1.6L engines hum along at a fair rate of knots and sound pretty throaty. So much so that they easily out-strip the 2.0L variants.

It's probably a manufacturer led move in the first place. Emission regs are making turbocharged 1.6ltr engines a better alternative to 2.0ltr engines in road cars. Having their race cars running similar engines is a favorable boast for their marketing departments.

Just make it to the same specs as V8 Supercars. The Car of the Future set to come in in a year or two will drastically reduce the costs, and it's common place knowledge that's spreading across the world like wildfire that V8 Supercars is one of the most action packed, hotly contested, entertaining racing series on the planet.
The chassis is not based on a road car, but then this is more for safety as I see it- but the cars always look a lot like their road going versions, with aero parts that don't alter the dimensions of the vehicle, aero in a V8 Supercar is relatively low.
Out of curiosity, with everyone saying Super GT and DTM races are too long, how long is a typical race in those series?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, with everyone saying Super GT and DTM races are too long, how long is a typical race in those series?
A DTM round consists of one race of about 170km, according to Wikipedia. Super GT races, range from 300km to 1000km.

Well Super GT is practically an endurance series then, if they do that distance in one hit, but DTM is fairly on the money.

Well Super GT is practically an endurance series then, if they do that distance in one hit, but DTM is fairly on the money.

I prefer it that long too, like V8 Supercars and DTM. However, most touring car series are a bunch of short sprint races.

I can't see the WTCC existing in its current form for much longer. It's well passed it's sell-by date now.

I can't see the WTCC existing in its current form for much longer. It's well passed it's sell-by date now.

Just like the old World Cup was when it merged with the Class I DTM to form the ITC.

I must admit, I love touring cars but once aeros came in 17 years ago, it has slowly started dying. The cars either look like puffed up shells or at the other end you get pseudo-silhouette racing like DTM and V8s.

Agree with the poster who suggested no aeros. Could either be pre-1994 supertouring, which did have limited aeros or Group A. I would throw money to see Group A. It never existed during my lifetime (b.1991) but damn I do love watching the old Group A and Supertourers. But with an updated scoring system. Andy Rouse has won more than 4 titles!

Back