United States
New York
Mind_R1ot
Hope this comes out right.

Japan today > japan > crime
Send to a friendPrint

2,240 police, 460 patrol cars, copter mobilized for car chase in Osaka

Friday, January 25, 2008 at 03:01 EST

OSAKA — Police on Thursday arrested a wanted man after a two-hour car chase that involved 2,240 officers, 460 police cars and one helicopter. Hirofumi Fukuda, 27, who had been wanted for assaulting police officers on Jan 21, was arrested after a chase through central Osaka. Around 11 a.m., police received an emergency call saying that a car was driving recklessly, ignoring traffic lights. When a patrol car approached the vehicle in question, it took off.

Police were mobilized throughout the area and a helicopter called in. The chase ended when Fukuda's car crashed into a bridge column. He sustained light injuries but no one else was injured in the chase.

I can't even imagine... Anybody know how to find a vid?

From what I read, it's about the same size as Baltimore. Guess it isn't that small, but I'm sure we've all seen the vid where a guy gets run off the road in his Mitsubishi SUV & shot by the police. (I think he had a rifle & a hostage) Wasn't that in Japan? How could this have taken so long? IDK, I'm thinking Ronin & all 3 Bourne movies rolled into one 2 hr. chase. Maybe it's more like The Blues Brothers or Smokey & the Bandit. I'd love it if someone finds news footage!

Has it occured to anyone that maybe this chase wasn't so intense, and the Japanese police just suck at chases, since they rarely have to do them, and maybe their patrol cars suck really bad too.

Thats what I'm thinking.

Yeah, they probably just followed him until he crashed. Most Japanese police are on foot, though. I can only imagine what 2 thousand of them running after a car looks like.

How the hell do you commit a 2-hour car chase through Osaka, Japan?!

My thoughts EXACTLY. And, whats even more bizarre is the fact that he was in a regla-ass Lexus LS460. Not a supercar, not some turbo'd out coupe...just a regula-ass Lexus. :lol:

Has it occured to anyone that maybe this chase wasn't so intense, and the Japanese police just suck at chases, since they rarely have to do them, and maybe their patrol cars suck really bad too.

Thats what I'm thinking.
police_gtr.jpg

jcop9.jpg

gto.jpg

I guess these aren't based in Osaka.

And as far as I know, Osaka is the home of the Japanese tuners.

I think the car wasnt' the Toyota/Lexus, but the much more pedestrian Mark II/Chaser (?) that they had wrecked a bit more violently. but,yeah, that's ridiculous. did anyone think to get in front of the criminal and, you know, create a roadblock? they've got radios, right?

With 460 cop cars, you'd think they could have pretty much gridlocked the entire city if they'd tried.

Actually, I think the cops could've gotten him sooner but were too busy taking pictures of the chase on their camera phones.

Back