Ipod

• Thread starter Spock
  • 40 comments

Spock

Not In My Name
Premium
As Much As I Would Hate To Say It, I Want An Ipod; Yes Even With Me Being As Anti-Mac As I Am, I Really Want An Ipod.

Now Don't Get Me Wrong, I Will Never Ever Switch To The Mac Platform, But I Am Really In A Predicament Right Now. Currently I Have 3 Computers, 2 Windows And A Linux, 2 Of Them Work Just Fine, (Totaly ****ed Up Mobo On My Gaming Rig :/ ) But The Total Space On Both Working Systems Is, Well, Dismal.
Less Then 25 Total Gigs, With 18.9 On My Laptop, And Only 3 Gigs Free Total. I Do Have A 80 Gig'er, But My Fricked Up Mobo Fails To Recognize It, And Only 15 Is Usable On It Anyways ( The Other 60~ Is All Of My Aquired Goods And Game Save's Over The Past 3-4 Years).

So As You Can See My Main Concern Right Now Is Space (Where Is He Anyways?), And While I'd Sure As Hell Like A New Hard Disk Drive, It Would Only Be Good In My Laptop, But I Have No Way Of Transfering Files From The 2 HDD's.
Since My Laptop Has 2 USB2 Ports That Are Never Used, And I Cant Burn Anymore MP3 Cd's For My Car Or Cd-Player (Dead Mobo Computer Has Only Useable Cd Burner, 1x Is Not An Option For Burning Cds), I Have Come To The Conclusion That I Need, Yes Need, An Ipod.

Now I Want To Know A Few Things Before I Just Go Out And Buy An Ipod.

1. When I Plug It In/Dock It To My Laptop Will It Show Up As A Mass Storage Device Accessable Though My Computer, Or Will I Need To Use Some Special Software To Transfer Files From My Lappy To It?

2. Space-Wise How Much Space Is On The 30/60Gig Models, You Know Like How My 80Gig HDD Showed Up As 74.5 Gigs.

3. When I Put My Extensive MP3 Collection On It, Will I Be Able To, Uh, Access Thoses MP3 Files On Say, My Career Centers* Macs? Or Are My Music Files Locked Into My Ipod, As Ive Heard Some People Talk About

4. Does Using An Ipod Make Me A Mac User?

5. Man, Do I Love The Italic Tag Or What?

*Look Up "Billings Career Center" For More Information On What A Career Center Is, As There Is Only 3 Or 4 In The Entire US ( Or So They've Told Us).

1. When I Plug It In/Dock It To My Laptop Will It Show Up As A Mass Storage Device Accessable Though My Computer, Or Will I Need To Use Some Special Software To Transfer Files From My Lappy To It?

Yes i use mine to transfer large files from one pc to the other :) but you have to set it in I-Tunes.

2. Space-Wise How Much Space Is On The 30/60Gig Models, You Know Like How My 80Gig HDD Showed Up As 74.5 Gigs.

Not sure, some space is taken up by the various files that are needed to run the I-Pod but not much, as for the actual space like you have described im not to sure but im guessing that its the same as any other mass storage device.

3. When I Put My Extensive MP3 Collection On It, Will I Be Able To, Uh, Access Thoses MP3 Files On Say, My Career Centers* Macs? Or Are My Music Files Locked Into My Ipod, As Ive Heard Some People Talk About

When you first plug it in to your pc it will ask if you are formating it to pc or mac, but once done i dont know if macs will see it as a mass storage device or not, most HDD drives can be read by a mac and by a pc if its formated in FAT32 so i guess it might be possible, but i have not done it.

Not sure how to answer because i have alsways had a dislike for mac, but i wanted an I-Pod so i got one then i started to see what all the fuss was about with macs and their equipment and have since been wanting one, so it dosnt make you a mac user but it could turn you into one :D

????????? :)

Yes i use mine to transfer large files from one pc to the other :) but you have to set it in I-Tunes.

So I Will Have To Install I-Tunes :/

Not sure, some space is taken up by the various files that are needed to run the I-Pod but not much, as for the actual space like you have described im not to sure but im guessing that its the same as any other mass storage device.

Ok

When you first plug it in to your pc it will ask if you are formating it to pc or mac, but once done i dont know if macs will see it as a mass storage device or not, most HDD drives can be read by a mac and by a pc if its formated in FAT32 so i guess it might be possible, but i have not done it.

Ok, Thats What I Thought.

Not sure how to answer because i have alsways had a dislike for mac, but i wanted an I-Pod so i got one then i started to see what all the fuss was about with macs and their equipment and have since been wanting one, so it dosnt make you a mac user but it could turn you into one :D

Hmmm... Maybe I Should Get An I-River Then...

????????? :)

Totaly.

spock
Now I Want To Know A Few Things Before I Just Go Out And Buy An Ipod.

1. Yes. On the primary computer, install iTunes, and set the iPod to "enable disk use". It will then show up as a Removeable Disk on any computer you connect it to, irrespective of whether that computer has iTunes installed. You will have to remember to carry the data cable around with you.

2. Factor a loss of about 10%. My 40GB iPod has 36GB available for use.

3. You cannot transfer an iTunes music library from an iPod to another computer with iTunes on it. You may be able to access the files on the disk and copy them manually, but I've never tried it, so don't know. Any tunes that you buy from the iTunes Music Store will only play on iTunes installations that you have authorised against your account, so .m4p files will not play on other devices. Remember also that you will have a duplicate music library: all your tunes will be on your iPod and your primary computer.

4. No. It just means you've understood that Apple have an ability to design a fine product that in this instance fulfils your needs. It doesn't make you into something you are not. And being a Mac user is not a disease.

5. Clearly so, but not as much as you like Initial Capitals All The Way Through Your Whole Damn Posts!!

You cannot transfer an iTunes music library from an iPod to another computer with iTunes on it. You may be able to access the files on the disk and copy them manually, but I've never tried it, so don't know. Any tunes that you buy from the iTunes Music Store will only play on iTunes installations that you have authorised against your account, so .m4p files will not play on other devices. Remember also that you will have a duplicate music library: all your tunes will be on your iPod and your primary computer.

Not entirly true

If you have EPH-pod installed on the second computer then yes you can swap your whole playlist over from one to the other easy as pie, but you need EPH-pod software installed on the secondry pc, or if you have a whold week free you can enable hidden files/folders and you will see a hidden folder containing lots of seperate folders and each in turn has got about 5 to 10 MP3's in then but beware they are in a random order, so searching for a whole album then removing it will take some patiance.

for more info on removing music from your i-pod then look here

I went through all the iPod forums and I didn't realize you were a bigger hater than me. :ill: I got one for X-mas and the only reason I might be keeping it is that I can watch video on it. At the moment I have Mp3s on it and... :gasps: it's not as bad as I though although I still like drag and drop. I don't think you can get more simple than that. :dunce:

So tell me boy are you having fun playing Hardball and using the oh-so-intuitive iTunes? Has the touchwheel melted on you yet (true story happened to a friend)?

Flame-returns
So tell me boy are you having fun playing Hardball and using the oh-so-intuitive iTunes? Has the touchwheel melted on you yet (true story happened to a friend)?

:sigh: At the risk of me sounding like a hypocrite... maybe you should try it.

Yeah sure iTunes takes up space and resources but it's not as "locked up" as I thought.

Now that I actually have my own I can go though how the wheel works it's not as bad as I thought and while it's intuitive it's not that superior to anything else. The manual (or lack of it) is pretty worthless too.

There's been a lot of hype obviously, oh and lets not forget scratching the pretty little thing, batt life, and cost. :ill:

I feel that I MUST get some kind of case for this thing and even then it will still get scratched to hell.

edit: I'll never use those gay ass white headphones either. Oh, and my iPod is Black. :D

I think the new video ipod is really cool. I bought a 20gb 4g ipod and it is quite a good piece of kit.

It acts like any other removable disk.

You can get the music back off the ipod but you need software.

You can authorize bought music to be played on other computers but at a limit of 4... you will need your password but then the person will be able to play it forever on their computer.

Your itunes library does not have to be identical to the one stored on you ipod... just make sure to select "manually update ipod" in preferences.

The ipod is not always the best player on the market but I love the well thought out design aswell as the UI on both the pod and itunes.... and if its down to ease of use then it is by far the best....

Robin 2223
It acts like any other removable disk.

Actually, that's another thing that really bothers me is connecting/disconnecting. I think that's how I got to black and white with the dreaded "Folder with an exclamation point". I searched all over the apple forums and there were A LOT of those kind of "Help..." which bothered me. I ended up having to call Tech support as well as go to the apple store. I didn't like either of those experiences and hope I never have to deal with thiem. :scared: Anyway, needless to say I thought I killed it somehow and tech said I'd have to get it repaired or replaced. If that was the case and if it was that easy to "kill it" I don't want it. I never did get the "disk" mode versus normal (I guess that's the other mode) either. :odd:

Robin 2223
You can get the music back off the ipod but you need software.

I'm Assuming above and below are examples of how I thought you'd be "locked in" to iTunes because you could listen to music but didn't really have control of it and they were always monitoring you. :rolleyes:

Robin 2223
You can authorize bought music to be played on other computers but at a limit of 4... you will need your password but then the person will be able to play it forever on their computer.

Another reason I hate iTunes and will never buy anything from them... :rolleyes:

Robin 2223
Your itunes library does not have to be identical to the one stored on you ipod... just make sure to select "manually update ipod" in preferences.

I'm not quite sure how this works because I have it on manual yet everytime I upload a song it automatically puts it on the iPod (I thnk).

Robin 2223
The ipod is not always the best player on the market but I love the well thought out design aswell as the UI on both the pod and itunes.... and if its down to ease of use then it is by far the best....

I don't know if it's just me but this is real frustrating.

Like the english language people use all these words or computer lingo to sound more intelligent or make themselves think they sound more intelligent but for the same reason I wouldn't take a gun and intentionally shoot myself in the foot, why would I make it harder to communicate so nobody understands what the hell I'm saying??

So what it's the best UI or convienent or whatever... you can't get any more simple than...

see a file, click, drag, unclick to a folder, unplug, turn on player, start listening.

vs.

iTunes where you drag and drop but with a catch... you have to open up a software and then when your finished dragging and dropping you don't know wheither you've actually transferred the song.

Just my opinion...

Owning an Ipod doesn't make you a mac user, silly. It's an apple product, it's not macintosh. Mac > Windows for everything besides games, anyway.

I will say this. I never truly liked iPods, but the iPod video and Nano are quite impressive for functionality in iPod Linux form.

Borrowed an iPod for a week.

Took me 2 hours to get comfortbale with the menu and stuff.

And my Rio was almost instantaneous and cost a little over half the iPod.

i'd take one if i got some good "stolen display model" deal on it..
but i'd never pay some 300 dollars for this bland white thing with a femi azz interface..

I river or anything else...

I don't need to "flaunt" my mp3 player..so why get one because of the name?

I actually have an iPod Mini and I'm really satisfied with it. I use it for my music and also to put all my important files in case of viruses or if I need to simply format.

I suggest to everyone that need a MP3 Player and a portable storage device to get the Apple products, they do be expansive but with a good warantee, theres nothing to worry about. :D

I think out of all the iPods I'd probably only be able to deal with the Video version even then I can't bring myself to pay $300 for it.

VIPFREAK
I think out of all the iPods I'd probably only be able to deal with the Video version even then I can't bring myself to pay $300 for it.
I bought one from my brother tonight. It's $300 new, but if you are a student(like yourself), he says that you can get 10% discount.

Now, I need to get a good FM transmitter......

Cool, as for the FM trans. Maybe Monster trans. ? but don't get the iPod only one, that's bull crap and even more expensive. I got mine on eBay for $25. If you get a trans like belkin it will probably cost the same but be more ****ty. It unfortunately transmits better if it's plugged in not battery powered. I also got a cheap adaptor off ebay that changes the cigarette part to a wall outlet. Don't get one if he's looking for quality sound either because they just don't have it unless you pay an arm and a leg I suppose. Good luck

VIPFREAK
Cool, as for the FM trans. Maybe Monster trans. ? but don't get the iPod only one, that's bull crap and even more expensive. I got mine on eBay for $25. If you get a trans like belkin it will probably cost the same but be more ****ty. It unfortunately transmits better if it's plugged in not battery powered. I also got a cheap adaptor off ebay that changes the cigarette part to a wall outlet. Don't get one if he's looking for quality sound either because they just don't have it unless you pay an arm and a leg I suppose. Good luck
Thanks for the input. 👍 I've been researching the FM transmitters since last night, I think I'm going to get the one called the "Roadtrip" . It connects at the bottom dock for good "line-out", you can also use it in the car or by any PC. It recharges by the cigarette adapter(DC?) or USB. It's spendy, but I think I can find one for around $50-$60. :)

:scared: $89.00 ok... are you going on long trips?

btw, at least in my neck of the woods I don't leave anything in the car unless your planning to let someone break into it. :dopey:

a6m5
Thanks for the input. 👍 I've been researching the FM transmitters since last night, I think I'm going to get the one called the "Roadtrip" . It connects at the bottom dock for good "line-out", you can also use it in the car or by any PC. It recharges by the cigarette adapter(DC?) or USB. It's spendy, but I think I can find one for around $50-$60. :)
have you considered an RF Modulator? It costs about the same and costs a few bucks to install, but the quality of audio provided by simply scrubbing out the FM frequency on your deck and replacing it with the data on your mp3 player is supposed to be unbeatable 👍

I can't remeber the name of it, but one of my buddies has a casette adapter that's way better than the FM transmitter. Not because of quality or lack of wires, but it wins because you can use the buttons on your dash to control the iPod. It's pretty dang cool.

This has always bothered me. I can't understand why people want Ipods - other than to put their itunes output directly on them. Is that it? Is it simply a compatibility issue? Ipods are compatible with itunes but other mp3 players are not? Because that's a lame reason to buy hardware. It's not like you can't convert the mp4 to an mp3.

...or are Ipods just the best bang for the buck? Are they just superior mp3 players?

Somebody help me out. What's the deal with the Ipods?

They are as good as anything out there, with the best 3rd party support of any player.

There's no significant price premium.

They 'just work', even for people with little to no computer experience.

Thanks for more info, guys. :) Cassette sounds cool, but I don't have a tape deck. I will look into the RF Modulator in the near future.

danoff
This has always bothered me. I can't understand why people want Ipods - other than to put their itunes output directly on them. Is that it? Is it simply a compatibility issue? Ipods are compatible with itunes but other mp3 players are not? Because that's a lame reason to buy hardware. It's not like you can't convert the mp4 to an mp3.

...or are Ipods just the best bang for the buck? Are they just superior mp3 players?

Somebody help me out. What's the deal with the Ipods?
In my case, I've been using iTunes long before I got my iPod. My kid brother who just bought the 30GB one didn't like it, so he made me an offer I couldn't refuse($190 + couple of trade-ins :D). Since I am used to iTunes, it is easy to use as well.

Back