Ipod

• Thread starter Spock
  • 40 comments
danoff
...or are Ipods just the best bang for the buck? Are they just superior mp3 players?
With linux installed, the iPod Video and iPod Nano are insanely versatile mp3 players. Granted, they still lack the audio recorder and fm tuner, but the linux installation allows for games, unsupported video formats, as well as unsupported audio formats. It also kills your dependance on iTunes 👍. Other than that, iPods really are just your run of the mill mp3 player (although, they are quite likely the thinnest mp3 players I have ever laid eyes on)

danoff
This has always bothered me. I can't understand why people want Ipods - other than to put their itunes output directly on them. Is that it? Is it simply a compatibility issue? Ipods are compatible with itunes but other mp3 players are not? Because that's a lame reason to buy hardware. It's not like you can't convert the mp4 to an mp3.

...or are Ipods just the best bang for the buck? Are they just superior mp3 players?

Somebody help me out. What's the deal with the Ipods?

Like any player that has proprietary software this isn't any different but what I like about is the transferring actually works and is fast unlike other players like my Neuros. I think that's the iPods strength. Other than that it's just another player with it's own set of problems. I guess you could say the wild card is the video though because it opens up a whole new world from just a music player. That part has been really kick ass! The thing that bothers me the most and seems fed up is that if you use itunes you can't use it on any other computer nor can you take your music off the player. That's where the control comes in because of the copyright crap. :rolleyes:

emad
With linux installed, the iPod Video and iPod Nano are insanely versatile mp3 players. Granted, they still lack the audio recorder and fm tuner, but the linux installation allows for games, unsupported video formats, as well as unsupported audio formats. It also kills your dependance on iTunes 👍. Other than that, iPods really are just your run of the mill mp3 player (although, they are quite likely the thinnest mp3 players I have ever laid eyes on)

As messed up as this will sound somehow using linux sounds like I'd be giving up ease of use since I've brainwashed myself into being comfortable using iTunes. Ideally I'd like to use Anapod but I'm holding out to buy the full license for it.

I bought one of these just now......
itripdock.gif

It docks to your iPod, drawing power from it. I liked how portable it was, and the not-so high price of $50. Thing is a POS. :guilty: Sound is extremely muffled & fuzzy, plus I lost the reception several times on the way home. That thing is broadcasting from inside my car for god's sake! :lol: Perhaps the power is weak, since it can't get adequate power from the iPod?(No surprise there).

VIPFREAK: How good is the reception on your transmitter? Is it pretty reasonable? For now, I'm definitely sticking with CDs. :ouch:

a6m5
I bought one of these just now......
itripdock.gif

It docks to your iPod, drawing power from it. I liked how portable it was, and the not-so high price of $50. Thing is a POS. :guilty: Sound is extremely muffled & fuzzy, plus I lost the reception several times on the way home. That thing is broadcasting from inside my car for god's sake! :lol: Perhaps the power is weak, since it can't get adequate power from the iPod?(No surprise there).

VIPFREAK: How good is the reception on your transmitter? Is it pretty reasonable? For now, I'm definitely sticking with CDs. :ouch:

Basically, transmitters will never be as good as you hope because the FCC has a limit on how far these things can transmit. They don't want you taking over Howard Stern's show. :dopey: So that's why there's a lot of static or it's low quality. Like I said if you get a batt powered one it's not going to be as good as an ac adapter version because it's using less power so there's a weaker signal.

I really really wonder why car companies don't just include a damn headphone jack in their production cars. That would solve all these damn problems. It would pretty much put all transmitters and other crap they want you to buy out of business that's why. :dopey: :rolleyes: 💡

My transmitter is decent, the best one I've had so far but again like I said if you are in anyway picky and need sound quality transmitters are not for you and never will be.

VIPFREAK
My transmitter is decent, the best one I've had so far but again like I said if you are in anyway picky and need sound quality transmitters are not for you and never will be.
You are right. I am very picky about sound quality, and what I heard from my iPod-Car Stereo tonight, I will never forget. :ill: I can't wait until more iPod/MP3 compatible stereo becomes available.

a6m5
You are right. I am very picky about sound quality, and what I heard from my iPod-Car Stereo tonight, I will never forget. :ill: I can't wait until more iPod/MP3 compatible stereo becomes available.

:scared: Prepare to pay a lot I'd almost say it's cheaper just to get a new headunit with AUX and a headphone jack input. :dopey:

VIPFREAK
:scared: Prepare to pay a lot I'd almost say it's cheaper just to get a new headunit with AUX and a headphone jack input. :dopey:
Nahhh, they'll come down(in a few years!). :D If I do buy a new car next year, that'll be a big selling point then.

a6m5
Nahhh, they'll come down(in a few years!). :D If I do buy a new car next year, that'll be a big selling point then.

Yeah, I guess that's the beauty of being on a bandwagon with everyone else. They have endless crap for it and it's always getting attention like constant firmware updates. :dopey:

VIPFREAK
Yeah, I guess that's the beauty of being on a bandwagon with everyone else. They have endless crap for it and it's always getting attention like constant firmware updates. :dopey:
I never looked at it that way, but that's so true. I love bandwagons....... feels so good to be part of the club. :embarrassed:

So I got a cheap iPod A/V Cable and wasn't expecting much, I mean it's connection is though the headphone port. Surprisingly, it actually works pretty damn good. I'm thinking it comes down to how well the video file is encoded. I'll be trying it on the '50 inch in the family room.

I had something odd happen to me the other day. Since switching from my laptop to my desktop I figured I'd want to keep iTunes on my laptop since iTunes only lets you have one puter to connect with. I put iTunes on my desktop anyway thinking it'd be a paperweight and to my surprize it actually worked? I can't figure out why it did? It didn't work at my friend house on their puter... ? :odd:

Back