Is this a good buy?

• Thread starter Borna12345
  • 40 comments
Croatia
Croatia
I'm thinking of buying this octa-core AMD FX and this Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard to replace my aging AM2+ board and my Sempron 140 and I was thinking: Is this a good buy, or should I be happy with a hex-core AM2+/AM3 Phenom and stick with my current board? I'm also not sure can my PSU support it, but that shouldn't be a lot of money compared to these two. I'll be using this GPU
with it, my old 80GB Seagate HDD (SATA II? Can I use it?) with it, I know it's a huge drop compared to the processor but I don't need an extremely powerful GPU and I don't use much HDD space. BTW, 4GB of 401mhz RAM with it, bad buy IMHO, will replace. So, is it a good buy, or should I look at something else?

Last edited:
Well I'd rather suggest a Intel build because of the lacking performance. And i3-2120 is faster than the FX-4100 despite being a dual core. But then again get a better cpu for slightly more than the FX-8120, like an i5-3550. Get a regular LGA 1155 motherboard(Since you are not doing anything extreme look at Hxx chipset motherboards) and you'll be golden. Also get 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory(2x2GB set). As for the PSU, what computer are you upgrading?

No idea about the PSU, half the cores for 120% of the price is not exactly interesting, don't like paying a premium for the Intel badge.

You don't pay a premium for the Intel badge, you're paying for a lot more performance. There's a reason AMD's given up competing with Intel in the desktop CPU market, because Intel's offerings are vastly superior - don't be fooled by that Bulldozer chip having 8 cores, more cores doesn't automatically mean it's better. That video card is woefully weak too.

If you really want to upgrade from your Sempron then by far the best option is getting an Intel 1155 board and going with a Sandy Bridge CPU + a GTX 560Ti video card (if you want to game on it). This is a well-known fact in PC circles and is not a point that is able to be debated.

I agree, but I do have a budget in mind, around 1800 - 2000 HRK (some 300-325$)BTW, the GPU is a huge upgrade from my current one.
Actually, the budget is even less, but the main reason I went with AMD as a first choice is because I've use 3 Intel processors, and the Sempron is my first AMD and I find it better. The Intels were a Core 2 Duo@2.0GHz and a relatively new Atom, but both had issues with overheating and were generally disappointing, with their puny stock coolers and weak chipsets. I find the Sempron gave more for my money and wanted to try a AMD for my next CPU.

Last edited:
Hmm yes. That's the reason why it seemed disappointing. My last CPU was a Core 2 Duo @2.93GHz(E7500) and it was quite a good performer. A lot better than your 2GHz Dore 2 duo. Even a i3 cpu(2nd lowest one, which is an i3-2120) with 4GB of ram and your gpu choice would be better than the FX-4100.

But I'm not planning on the FX4, I'm going as good as I can afford, FX8 8120. I'm starting to debate whether I will buy Intel or AMD. Intel seems unreasonably repulsive, buuuut... We'll see.

A car with 4 exhausts isn't necisarily faster than a dual exhaust car. Its the engine that matters. Same with CPUs. Its the architecture that really matters. Even though AMD has a large number of cores, they are quite inefficient compared to its Intel competitors. Think of it as the old Mustang Engine (the 4.6 Litre) versus the 370Z engine Sure the old 4.6 litre has more cylinders, but the V6 in the 370Z has better fuel economy and more power. (Bad example, I know)

I would reccomend an Intel SB/IB CPU over any AMD FX CPU, as it has a better Performance/Value ratio. I always used to be an AMD CPU fan, but let me tell you. You will not regret your decision for going with Intel. It runs cooler, faster, and has a better value for the money.

As for that GT 520, you're better off with the integrated Intel HD graphics.

I put high trust unto Nvidia. I have a 512 MB graphics chipset in my motherboard that pulls off amazing feats for so little power. I do know the AMD's cores are somewhere between Intel and Cell cores in efficiency, but that FX is value for money - the Intel i5 recommended above has slightly more power for a slightly higher price.
FYI:Even I don't know why I'm defending AMD. :dunce:

If you do go with AMD I have heard that Phenom IIs are better than the FX series, If you are on a budget and don't mind buying used this might not be a bad CPU, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHENOM-II-B93-X4-PROCESSOR-SOCKET-AM2-AM3-QUAD-CORE-CPU-/380453056001?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item5894c4ee01
I was going to buy it after having done plenty of research when building my PC on a spend as least as possible budget.
This might help you choose a motherboard http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/motherboards/8-of-the-best-am3-motherboards-713409

If I get that Phenom, I don't need a new board. On the other hand, I actually want to upgrade 2 computers, my own with new parts and my grandma's with the Sempron and the board I have now. So, I do want a new board, and I think I'll get an Intel.
What about this board and this processor? Would the Micro ATX be a problem to fit in my tower or can the smaller board attach?

Last edited:
Thanks saidur_ali, I think that's exactly what I will go with. BTW, does that CPU come with a fan and heatsink?
I don't know German but it looks like it is retail version so should come with stock heatsink and fan. Might be best to get both items from actual amazon.de seller, might be cheaper postage than private sellers.

Remember you need to buy some RAM too.

I do? 401 mhz RAM won't work with it?
I do have a 1GB 1333 MHz stick lying around somewhere, temporary solution until I buy more.

Should be fine then but lower voltage for ram is recommended. Anything above 1.65V is not good especially for low speed ram.

Will try, all i know is that it replaced that 1333 MHz stick without any issues, no voltage changing needed.
I think it's Apacer RAM, but not sure on the model name.

It is probably 1333MHz too. You can use something like CPU-Z to find out, SPD part. If it is PC3-10600 then it is 1333MHz ram.

Great! It will take a week or two for me to finish up my work and get paid, and then I go to my old aunt in Germany and buy the stuff there! (Cheap shipping in Germany.)

I checked my PSU online and it's 400W. Will I be able to run this setup with it?
BTW, I changed the motherboard to Micro ATX, this one in particular. The CPU remains unchanged (Intel i5-3450), GPU too (Nvidia GT 520[crap, I know]), 80 GB Seagate ST380811AS and 4GB od 401MHz DDR3 Kingston RAM.
Can I run it with 400W?

I checked my PSU online and it's 400W. Will I be able to run this setup with it?
BTW, I changed the motherboard to Micro ATX, this one in particular. The CPU remains unchanged (Intel i5-3450), GPU too (Nvidia GT 520[crap, I know]), 80 GB Seagate ST380811AS and 4GB od 401MHz DDR3 Kingston RAM.
Can I run it with 400W?

Tell us the manufacturer and model of your PSU and we'll check if it has enough amps.

MSI GOLD-MS400 ATX P4
caps

I would get that one replaced as it only has 14 amps on the 12V and much more amps on the 3.3V and 5V lines.

You should go with brands like Corsair, Antec or XFX. 400-500w with good amps should do the trick.

Back