Jaguar XK120 Parkinson Special 1952

• Thread starter JKgo
  • 3 comments
South Africa
South Africa
...Warning: this ain't no average XK120.

1950_JaguarParkingson_Special1.jpg

I fully understand if you think I lost my marbles by calling this a Jag XK. But it's true. This is a XK120.
Sort of. :D

1046147.jpg

An architect named Don Parkinson raced a XK120 as a hobby, but on May 1951, he ran out of talent in a Pebble Beach race and wrapped it around a tree. Luckily, he walked out of the wreckage relatively unscathed. Can't say the same thing for his man-pride, though.

1046158.jpg

He contacted International Motors in Hollywood, and asked for a rebuild. A mechanic named Joe Thrall, with the help of designer Robert Cumberford, CN. 670191 was turned into a lightweight racer.

49-Jaguar-Parkinson-Spcl-DV-14-MH-04.jpg

The result was this, a Jag that wasn't a Jag. It weighs less than 2000 pounds, too. So you can imagine the performance of this thing - it's immense.

1046101.jpg

Even though this car was completed and began competing from late 1951, I chose the year 1952, as that was when Mr. Parkinson thought the standard 3.4 inline six was no longer sufficient for his needs and had its displacement increased to 3.8. Poooowwweerrr...

TerryBuffum-Jaguar-ParkinsonSpecial-AA.jpg

It was fully restored back in 1983, with the help of original fabricator of the body Marvin Faw. And it has been a regular feature in historic racing scene ever since.

Here are some specs:

Power: around 250 horses at 5500 rpm.
Torque: 325 NM, or 240 foot-pounds.
Weight: 907 kilos, or as-near-as-damn-it, 2000 pounds.

As usual, if you have more info, do share!! Thanks.

...Warning: this ain't no average XK120.

1950_JaguarParkingson_Special1.jpg

I fully understand if you think I lost my marbles by calling this a Jag XK. But it's true. This is a XK120.
Sort of. :D

1046147.jpg

An architect named Don Parkinson raced a XK120 as a hobby, but on May 1951, he ran out of talent in a Pebble Beach race and wrapped it around a tree. Luckily, he walked out of the wreckage relatively unscathed. Can't say the same thing for his man-pride, though.

1046158.jpg

He contacted International Motors in Hollywood, and asked for a rebuild. A mechanic named Joe Thrall, with the help of designer Robert Cumberford, CN. 670191 was turned into a lightweight racer.

49-Jaguar-Parkinson-Spcl-DV-14-MH-04.jpg

The result was this, a Jag that wasn't a Jag. It weighs less than 2000 pounds, too. So you can imagine the performance of this thing - it's immense.

1046101.jpg

Even though this car was completed and began competing from late 1951, I chose the year 1952, as that was when Mr. Parkinson thought the standard 3.4 inline six was no longer sufficient for his needs and had its displacement increased to 3.8. Poooowwweerrr...

TerryBuffum-Jaguar-ParkinsonSpecial-AA.jpg

It was fully restored back in 1983, with the help of original fabricator of the body Marvin Faw. And it has been a regular feature in historic racing scene ever since.

Here are some specs:

Power: around 250 horses at 5500 rpm.
Torque: 325 NM, or 240 foot-pounds.
Weight: 907 kilos, or as-near-as-damn-it, 2000 pounds.

As usual, if you have more info, do share!! Thanks.

As soon as I saw this car I thought of the Fitch-Whitmore Le Mans Special which was built in 1950 and scored its first race win in May 1951. It was also based on a Jaguar XK120 and weighed 800lbs less than standard. I would guess that the Parkinson Special was inspired by the Fitch-Whitmore Special.

http://www.rmauctions.com/am11/amelia-island/lots/1950-fitch-whitmore-le-mans-special/632320

As soon as I saw this car I thought of the Fitch-Whitmore Le Mans Special which was built in 1950 and scored its first race win in May 1951. It was also based on a Jaguar XK120 and weighed 800lbs less than standard. I would guess that the Parkinson Special was inspired by the Fitch-Whitmore Special.

http://www.rmauctions.com/am11/amelia-island/lots/1950-fitch-whitmore-le-mans-special/632320

...That car is a stunner. You should make a thread for it. Or we could ask someone. That Fitch needs to be Suggested!! :D

(I'm too lazy to do it...:boggled:)

An unique car indeed ... Parkinson in the name is indeed also a little weird but that's because we associated with a terrible decease ... :embarrassed:
Good finding ... 👍

Back