• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 59 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, you may recall my GT4 thread entitled "Keep on Truckin'!" whereas I discussed the possibility of trucks in Gran Turismo 4. Fast-forward now. It's been more than half a year in Japan, and almost half a year in America since GT4's release. One of the most pleasant surprises was being able to rock and roll with a big ol' truck. My favorite was the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. With tuning, it felt so much like a car, that I didn't want to call the X-Runner a truck. With light weight tuning, the Tacoma X-Runner weighs just under 3,100 lbs. For a truck, that's pretty light. I tuned my Tacoma to about 400 or so horsepower, lowered it, gave it some Racing Tires, and this bad boy was a mean Japanese truck that's even more of a racing machine than... 36 other trucks racing on ovals in some popular oval racing series, I forget the name of it. GTPlanet, boys and girls, chicos y chicas, we've seen a good number of trucks and vans in GT4. I recently bought a red Honda Element, and a dark blue Honda Odyssey in the game. But what would you want in the next Gran Turismo in terms of trucks? As the author, I'll start.

I don't know if "BlazinXtreme" would agree with me, but I kind of feel that I'd want a street Silverado, not so much a concept truck. In terms of modding trucks, I'd sure like to add one of those covers on the truck bed, so that I have a flatbed truck like in... that oval racing truck series. It would probably give oppurtunities to maybe fix up a wing on the machine. If we won't see mostly trucks, I'd surely like those Utes down in Australia. While America had the Chevy El Camino and the Ford Ranchero, an Australian Ute or maybe one of those Brazilian Utes like mi amigo bueno Johnny in Brazil. Maybe I got a little Australian in me, so how about some Ute racing racing machines? Myself, an American, wrestling around some Australian manpower in the form of a wicked Aussie Ute.

We've seen what GT4 had in terms of big trucks and mean Dakar racers, how would you like things in the next GT? Remember, I don't ask "will this be in?," but "would you want this in?" or "what would you want out of this?" Keep on truckin'!

Actually, there are a few trucks I would like to see.

Not much of a truck guy here, but the "chevy cyclone" would be a great addition to gt5.

Not only was the cyclone a mirror image of the chevy blazer, but it was also a mean, mean machine.
Fastest SUV/Truck ever made. 👍

Besides that I would love to see the silverado just as you had mentioned.

Trucks might not be a huge part of the gt scene but anything with 4 wheels and power can be included with an open mind. ;)

As always, I'd rather not see anything with four wheels (or six, or eight :D) and an engine excluded from GT solely based on the arguement "this shouldn't be in GT". As the automotive encyclopedia that it's creator hopes it will become, I think GT should definatly include commercial vehicles. However, this is probably an unrealistic hope for GT5 (or 6).
Backpedaling a little; while it's unlikely that GT5 will include such manufacturers as Mack, Freightliner, Tatra, or MAZ, I think it would be a step in the right direction to add a fuller range of trucks from the manufacturers already present. Mainstream trucks like the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger, Chevrolet Colorado. Including trucks in GT4 was a bit of a leap, adding things like this is just another small step now, and I think it's one that PD can be realistically expected to take. For one, I think it's almost certain that the Honda Ridgeline will be included. KY seems to like vehicles that make a splash, and Honda's debut in the truck market (good or bad) has most certainly done that.
A set of less likely inclusions (but ones I would encourage no less), are the full size truck set. Not F150 full size, I mean the just-short-of-commercial grade full size. F350, Ram 3500, and Silverado 3500. These giants really have what it takes to muscle their way around a road course. Think about it, huge tires, massive brakes, stiff suspention, and bottomless torque reserves. Sure they're heavy, but they're designed to operate normally when loaded with several tonnes over their curb weight in payload and/or trailers. Take all that weight away, and you've got something great.
So, that's what I want, and that's the case for what I think they'll give me.

Different variants of the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge pickups. The Continental pickup truck. :P

Just something different. Although this is a racing simulator I'd like some twist on it.

A Silverado 3500 with rear-wheel steering would be quite an interesting addition to GT...

More trucks would definitly be nice in the next installment. Although I am not a fan of trucks I would purchase them and test them out, hoping that the law of physics would apply and it might roll over if not driven correctly. I think it would be interesting to include more off road races too. It would only make more sense.

I'm not really a truck guy either, but they were pleasant surprises. I'm telling you. The Toyota Tacoma in GT4 is a great truck to race. To call this a truck is almost unfair. Of the trucks, the Tacoma is the lightest. But at the same time, it also has the least horsepower. I don't have a Dodge Ram in my GT4 garage, but it's the heaviest in weight and horsepower. This is, of course, in terms of available trucks. I think a Silverado production truck, not just the concept, would be good.

I had a thread about the Honda Ridgeline, and many people think the Honda Ridgeline is good, but could have been much better. My thing is, they are just starting in the truck market. You can't expect a car to just completely dominate on their first try. One of the disappointments people mentioned was that the machine has a V6 rather than a V8. I think it has 4WD as well, which is always good for a truck, especially off-road. Would it make it into the next GT? Maybe.

The truck that's been my favorite before the Tacoma has been the SVT Lightning. When my B-Spec racer lost two straight Sport Truck races, I was like "f:censored: it. I'll do this s:censored: on my own." Turns out, I was 3 for 3 in A-Spec there with the trucks. I'd recommend the Lightning and the Tacoma. Many American car lovers may disagree with me, but I'd like to see more Japanese trucks to mix things up with the American trucks. Think about it. While Silverados, Lightnings, SSRs, and Rams are good, I'd sure like to race a Toyota Tundra or even a Nissan Titan. A Nissan Frontier would also be a nice addition, even a good deal to have a Toyota/Nissan rivalry. My favorite truck in racing? The Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak that ran Pikes Peak in 1999 and 2000, not to mention a Goodwood Festival of Speed start. I'd love to see that. The first Rallisport Challenge game had it and sure like to see it in the next GT if PD can secure it into the game.

Lastly, stop saying "being forced to buying/racing..." You don't have to get them if you don't want to. But if you want to complete the game and move up the Gran Turismo ladder, you have no choice then, now do you?

CHRYSLER CORPORATION

Dodge Ram Rumble Bee
Dodge Ram Daytona
Dodge Ram SRT-10
Dodge Rampage
Plymouth Scamp
Dodge Sidewinder
Chrysler PT-10

FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Ford F-150 SVT Lightning
Ford Ranchero
Ford Falcon Ute

GENERAL MOTORS

GMC Typhoon
GMC Syclone
Chevrolet Blazer Xtreme
Chevrolet Colorado Xtreme
Chevrolet S-10 Xtreme
GMC Sprint
GMC Caballero
Chevrolet El Camino
Chevrolet Lumina Ute
Pontiac LeMans El Camino
Holden Ute

I'd definitely like to see some of our Diesel trucks in there. While they may not look it, those things can really move. :D

Maybe that semi/pickup truck that semi company made. (International i think it's called?)

The Continental pickup truck. :P

You mean the Blackwood?

kent
Not much of a truck guy here, but the "chevy cyclone" would be a great addition to gt5.

Not only was the cyclone a mirror image of the chevy blazer, but it was also a mean, mean machine.
Fastest SUV/Truck ever made.

Its a Syclone and it was the S-15 or Sonoma if you will. The Typhoon was the Jimmy. But how can one go wrong with a 285hp, AWD, turboed, truck?

niky
A Silverado 3500 with rear-wheel steering would be quite an interesting addition to GT...

The 3500 is the dullay, you wouldn't want rear wheel steering on it. The Denali line comes with quadarsteer which is really friggen useful when you are pulling a trailer.

Other truck to add to Classic Anycar's list would be:

Dodge Dude (the original sports truck)
Dodge Mini Ram

Chevy LUV truck (shutters...did I just say that)
Chevy 454 CK truck from the early 90's
Chevy S-10 SS
97 Chevy Blazer Indy offical truck

But I would love to see trucks although you wouldn't be able to really do suspension tuning to them, since the rear end has leaf springs most of the time. Also in the tuning options there needs to be an option to switch the rear suspension over to a link suspension. Also I don't want to see anything about Mickey Phi's on there either.

I would love for more trucks to make it into the game, although I would want truck only off road races (under ralley section) and street tracks. This means you could get lift kits or lowering kits for your truck. There also could have two new sections to the tuning area where you could get Beltech lowering kits and Skyjacker lift kits.

I agree there needs to be real trucks in the game instead of concepts. I SS concept is cool but really Silverados look nothing like that.

Finally if there was a Blazer Xtreme in the game I would buy GT5 for solely that reason.

What about the European racing big-rigs? A set of those, with ECUs limited for top speed and a special racing series... that'd be awesome.

Then you could just buy the ECU upgrade to remove the limiter.

I kept my trucking mostly as street performers. I could do off-roading, but I'm a circuit-racing guy. Don't get me wrong. I keep saying the Toyota Tacoma was one of the best performers in my virtual garage. It's really shown me something. It was a truck I really liked using in my GT racing. I even won the Japanese Championship in the Japanese Race Events with it, beating an 20th Century Impreza, (maybe) a Skyline, and a few other Japanese rides.

I didn't know this, but the group tuner group Hennessey is out of my hometown of Houston. I'm a big fan of the Ram SRT-10, and I heard Hennessey modded up a Ram to being a sick bastard confined to a truck. I do feel a bit saddened that the SRT-10 Ram didn't make it into GT4, so it would be very nice to have the SRT-10 Ram in the game. It would EASILY be my favorite truck to race with. I'll lower it, lighten it, give it grippy tires... I want to make it shine. And if there's a Paint Shop option for cars, I'll surely paint up my Ram SRT-10 in whatever color combination I choose.

The thing I'd REALLY like to see is racing trucks. These websites list racing trucks I'd surely want to race.
CORR (Championship Off-Road Racing) - http://www.corracing.com/
Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Trophy Truck - http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1997/11b/
http://www.motorsportsetc.com/champs/dakar.htm

It's weird that what many of us would call SUVs or trucks, Dakar considers as "cars." In addition to Dakar-style machinery, I'd like to see some sort of desert rally, even if it is a fictional desert. CORR, or Championship Off-Road Racing, usually has a lot of 2WD and 4WD trucks racing around dirty race tracks. All the mud slinging and truck flipping is pretty action packed. To see some real or fantasy race trucks would also be interesting. Carry on, folks.

I love to see a FPV Tornado, FPV Pursuit 290, HSV Maloo R8, Holden SS and the other high performance utes out of Australia. I reckon they would own in a Trucks series due to some pretty damn beastly engines combined with way less weight than the Americans. But if only one I'd have the Maloo R8 with the LS2 297 :drool:

Trucks in GT4 are I think a nice addition that many questioned before the game came out, but now I think most feel they are okay. They should include vintage, classic trucks, and a few trucks from each decade. Why not have some dirt circuit tracks where at least 10 or more can compete at the same time. How about some indoor off road course, with jumps and whoops, maybe even a few very long baja type of courses, imagine the scenery for pictures etc.
Include a few say a dozen full blown off-road race trucks, they would tear up the current rally tracks. Would certainly be better then the ice courses which to me is a waste.

I would like to see the finished product Silverado SS and the new Trailblazer SS. The Chevy Extreme and the GMC version woulde be ok but they aren't my favorite.

You know, a favorite among American hot rodders, you have those 1932 Ford Willys. I've seen some hot Willys trucks modded up. Okay. Trucks aren't Saleen S7s, Ford GTs, or even Dodge Vipers (would you rather me say "Ferrari Enzos, Carerra GTs, and Bugatti Veyrons?), but who says they should be relegated to hauling cars off the road and having tailgate parties at college football games? There are some performers out there. You can start with the CORR racing trucks and the Toyota of the legendary Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart. Some of you may remember playing the 1990s arcade game endorsed by Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart.

There are some interesting trucks. In fact, let me not go American, Australian, or even Japanese. Let me talk about some European picks. Land Rovers would be interesting in rally, maybe even road racing as well. One of the more interesting autos from Europe is the Volkswagen Touraeg which has some Dakar/rally experience. I remember seeing the BMW X5 and X3 in the Dakar race (I think the X5 more). And in the rare circumstance that PD secures licenses from the bigtime European exotics: Porsche Cayenne Turbo!

Keep this thing moving, GTP.

I really wouldn't mind having trucks into the game. There was one episode of Fifth Gear where Tiff Needell was drifting a BMW X5 on the racetrack. I didn't know that was even possible with SUVs.

xXSilencerXx
I would like to see the finished product Silverado SS and the new Trailblazer SS. The Chevy Extreme and the GMC version woulde be ok but they aren't my favorite.

It's Xtreme not Extreme....jeesh some people.

Street trucks are one thing, but the hardcore offroading race trucks would need some kind of terrain to match their capabilities. Something like a widened rally track after a light bombing run, or maybe a sort of plus sized supercross track.
Failing either of those, I'd still be more then happy to drive a baja truck on the normal rally stages, or a race track; but what's the point of having two feet of suspention travel if the biggest thing you're going to hit is a four inch curb?
JohnBM01
Some of you may remember playing the 1990s arcade game endorsed by Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart.
I love that game. There's actually an arcade around here that still has one, it's probably the only game there (or anywhere, now) where you can get a half hour of play from a quarter.

There are some people who say that GT4 rallying is a joke and that many more people want narrow roads, dense forests, vast deserts, and all that. However, I still think that there should be a nice mix of off-road courses suited for rallycross. I know what someone's going to comment that GT rallying IS rallycross with no point-to-point action. I don't know about if the latest rally courses would be greatly suited to trucks. I'd surely want to maybe see something like Baja 1000, maybe a condensed Dakar, something to really suit off-road trucks, in addition to rally cars.

What kind of environment would be very suitable for trucks to race with, in terms of off-roading? If Pikes Peak made a return to GT, it would be very welcome for all sorts of autos in the game. CORR-style race trucks would be nice to race with. I think Big Rig Truck racing (as in Europe, Brazil, and the defunct(?) STRANA series) would be nice. My only concern would be how many on track would there be, because if you remember TOCA R.D. 2, you may remember seeing 6 Ford big rigs race on a track from Laguna Seca to Catalunya and all. I don't want to overwork what the PS3 may be capable of, so I don't think we're going to see 20 big rig trucks in circuit racing. My final idea for this thread would be the Bowler Wildcats, also in TOCA RD 2. These machines were completely made for off-roading. Everything from the four tires in the back to that overall MEAN look, those Bowler Wildcats mean business off-road.

Keep on trucking along, GTP. What are your ideas and contributions?

Actually, I think the PS3 will be able to handle a dozen big-rigs. The question is, is there a track wide enough? :D

If we're wishing here, I'd go so far as to ask for Norwegian hill-climbing buggies, but let me digress...

GT4 is inherently a game about road-racing. The rallies in GT4 may be a joke, but they aren't the main focus of the game. If they do a Paris-Dakar type "Hall" or "Series", it will require a lot from the physics engine. It might require a whole new game.

But the big-rig series is definitely a must. And in line with that, I think an hp and/or speed restrictor for series like this, as well as custom on-line series in future GT iterations, is a must. That is to keep the racing interesting and challenging.

My reason for there being trucks put into the game and more of them is that there are people that love trucks and would rather do nothing than drive trucks. That and now that we all know trucks are more powerful than they ever have been with the Chevrolet Duramax desil and Allison Transmision the Fords new V8 Enigine that they have recently put in there F150 and The Viper SRT 10 motor in the Dodge Ram SRT 10 We must have trucks i'm an truck lover and I have always liked trucks!!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

Back