Keep on Truckin'! - The Second Wave

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 59 comments
JohnBM01
There are some people who say that GT4 rallying is a joke and that many more people want narrow roads, dense forests, vast deserts, and all that. However, I still think that there should be a nice mix of off-road courses suited for rallycross. ... I'd surely want to maybe see something like Baja 1000, maybe a condensed Dakar, something to really suit off-road trucks, in addition to rally cars.

What kind of environment would be very suitable for trucks to race with, in terms of off-roading? If Pikes Peak made a return to GT, it would be very welcome for all sorts of autos in the game. ...

Keep on trucking along, GTP. What are your ideas and contributions?

I keep considering, for a minute, the idea of having a completely seperate rally spinoff to Gran Turismo. More courses, more variety, real point-to-point, etc. Sounds appealing, doesn't it?
In reality, you'd be loosing a lot. The equivalent tarmac-only GT would probably not include rally cars at all, and you wouldn't be able to discover what street cars really make surprisingly good rally cars either. Trucks would be lost too, obviously the race trucks would go in the rally game, but what about the normal consumer market ones? They could really go either way, but would probably be shoved off to the side in the rally GT to beef up it's car count.
No, I think it's better to keep both together. I like being able to drive my Levin on dirt, and my Ram on asphalt.

The issue comes back to tracks again. If we really want these offroad machines included, where do we want to drive them?
While I think enviroments like Paris-Dakar and the Baja 1000 would be really great answers to that question, I don't think even the PS3 will be capable of rendering large, free roaming enviroments like that with a 'Grand Turismo' level of detail. GTA can do it, but really; there's more polygons in a Suzuki Escudo's spoiler then an entire block of any city in San Andreas. I'm reminded of an article I read somewhere (around here, I think) that lamented the PS3's technical specifications as being geared more toward making things prettier then making them more expansive. Perhaps even to the extent that the PS3 would be little more capable of rendering 100 square miles of Baja then the PS2; it could just not do it with sextuple anti-aliasing, volumetric dust, and dynamic reflections.
That in mind, I still think some kind of modified, plus sized, supercross track would be a good solution. I think they do something like that at monster truck shows (tuff trucks?).
What else? Uh, I donno, somebody take this and run.

I'd love to see the European SuperTrucks series of vehicles... 1400 bhp, 150 mph. In a semi. :drool: I'd also like to see maybe vintage trucks and a separate racing series... Like a '46 Dodge Power Wagon mixing it with '56 F-100's and Suburbans.

I know this is an EXTREME jump from trucks. BUT... how about busses? I know this most probably won'y happen, but how about racing a SETRA against a Blue Bird? That would be hilarious. How about an MCI(Motor Coach Industries) against a VanHool. I would be roflmao! It would definately add a new dimension to driving in this game. You'd better make sure you start turning at the right time or the rear end will run over the crowd!

Emohawk, sir... let me tackle the question of tracks. As you know, I usually like to be passionate about certain aspects of Gran Turismo games. This time, I'm no different from the past. Would people care to race with machines like Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's championship-winning Toyota truck? Like Rod Millen's Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak (my number one truck favorite)? I say, "well, if you have Dakar machinery at tracks like Swiss Alps, Cathedral Rocks (both configurations), and Tahiti Maze, then can you REALLY say that it is possible." I'm not going to be one of the GTPlaneteers saying that I'd want a 200-mile long race track in the desert" so I can off-road in my Subaru 360. That's one of my main issues about rallying, not to bring up a topic I've already brought up. With all these different stages and all of us wanting authentic rally racing, can there actually be a big enough environment to have all sorts of trails and all sorts of race areas? I think if a desert environment can't be formulated, they can make it a race between canyons and such.

I'd even road race the Toyota Tacoma Pikes Peak if it was in the next GT. I'm sure if PD steps up their off-road racing and come up with environments to impress the rally faithful, we'll have PLENTY of race tracks to rally race these trucks with. What PD can muster with the next GT will be the only true determinant as to having these machines in the game in environments that will wonderfully suit them.

There would have to be diesel trucks in the game to since the popularity of them is growing fast. And the ad ons for them are amazing. The other day at work I got to drive a Silverado 3500 Dually with the Duramax 6600 V8 (300hp 520lbft), however it was equipt with the Bully Dog 6 gun system with a heavy mod list which when the 6 gun was set on the highest level put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 700hp and 900lbft. Yes it did 0-60 in about 6 seconds and yes it could pull a loaded gravel train if I wanted it to.

I think it needs cars like the Ford Explorer, Chevy Silverdo, GMC Sierra etc. Thats all i would like to see in the game.

blazinxtreme knows his stuff. im a car guy, its who i am. i like being low to the ground and going very very fast. but trucks bring something different to the table. my friend has an s10 with the HO v6 and theres a neighborhood our near his farm that never got developed. just a twisty circle with altitude changes and he can get sideways as hell. drifting is a major love in my life and i think smaler trucks are gonna hit that scene in the near future. high power..no weight in back...whats to lose??

u guys got my vote for more trucks.

also a baja type deal in gt5 would make me wet my pants.

and the ford explorer doesnt deserve to belong anywhere. its a POS and a deathtrap.

My list of trucks is as follows-

1962 Willys Wagon
1965 Dodge A100
1966 Chevy Suburban
1969 Chevy Blazer
1970 Chevy ElCamino SS 454 LS6
1972 International Scout II
1974 Chevy C10 Reg. Cab Stepside
1979 Dodge Li'l Red Express
1979 Dodge Warlock Pick-up
1989 Dodge Dakota Shelby
1991 Chevy C1500 454SS
1991 GMC Syclone
1992 GMC Typhoon
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
2004 International CXT Pick-up

Oh yeah, any suv's with IRS suck, along with the Honda Ridgeline and any crossover suv's! Body-on-frame's rule! Solid front axles rule!

3-Wheel Drive... pretty creative screen name. Just wanted to say that.

I can understand you on big rig trucks. Don't think that I'm going to want to outlaw that kind of racing or make fun of them. I just don't know if there will be GT tracks to really support these things on the road. I'm sure that you'd want a lot of permanent circuits that favor the capabilities of these machines. So, it would be a nightmare to have big rig trucks on Opera Paris.

I do think more pickup trucks should be in the game. Why? Because GT is all about the drive. Do you want a game to have only sports cars and very little variety? Part of what made GT games great is the variety of autos. Say all you want about too many Skylines and too many Lancers and all. At least it's better than having only sports cars that handle like Formula One cars driving down a twisty one-lane street. In terms of pickups, I'd like to see some good old American trucks, some of the trucks by Japanese companies, but especially those Utes like in Australia. Holden can surely be expanded in GT games with some Utes, not to mention a Holden V8 Supercar, but this is about trucks.

Speaking of Australia, would it be nice to have Brute Utes in GT5? Would you want these racing Utes in?

JohnBM01
I can understand you on big rig trucks. Don't think that I'm going to want to outlaw that kind of racing or make fun of them. I just don't know if there will be GT tracks to really support these things on the road. I'm sure that you'd want a lot of permanent circuits that favor the capabilities of these machines. So, it would be a nightmare to have big rig trucks on Opera Paris.

Not a problem, The Truck EC (European cup) races on Catalunya, Nogaro, Nurburgring, Jarama and Bugatti, and other well known national/international circuits. The Brazil truck cup uses these kinds of race tracks as well. Im sure it would be no problem to throw the trucks on tracks like Suzuka, Motegi and let them run loose.

Acura
-MDX '05
Audi
-allroad quattro Concept '05
-Q7 4.2 '06
Bowler
-Wildcat '03
BMW
-X5 4.8is '05
-X5 3.0d Rally Raid Edition '04
Buick
-Rendevous Ultra '05
-Rainier CXS '05
Cadillac
-SRX V8 AWD '05
-Escalade EXT '05
-Escalade ESV Platinum Edition '05
Chevrolet
-Suburban Carryall '35
-Cameo Carrier '55
-El Camino 348 '59
-Corvair Rampside Pickup '64
-El Camino 327 '64
-Blazer K-5 '69
-El Camino SS 454 '70
-Astro '85
-El Camino '88
-C1500 454 SS '90
-Tahoe LS 4WD 2 Door '99
-S10 ZQ8 Reg. Cab Stepside '00
-Astro LT AWD '02
-SSR '05
-Colorado ZQ8 3.5 Reg. Cab Short Box '05
-Suburban K2500 LT 6.0 Quadrasteer '05
-Silverado SS AWD '06
-Trailblazer SS '06
-Silverado K2500HD LT Crew Cab Short Box Duramax '06
-Vortec Engines Trailblazer Desert Racer '02(?)
Dodge
-Power Wagon '46
-Lil' Red Express '78
-Caravan '84
-Rampage '84
-Ramcharger '93
-Ram T-Rex Concept '98(?)
-Dakota 5.9 R/T '99
-Ram 1500 SLT Laramie Quad Cab Hemi '04
-Ram SRT-10 Reg. Cab '05
-Durango SLT 4WD Hemi '05
-Nitro Concept '05
-Grand Caravan SXT '05
-Ram 2500 SLT Laramie MegaCab 4WD Cummins '06
Ford
-F-1 '49
-Ranchero '57
-Bronco '64
-Courier '72
-Aerostar '85
-Explorer XLT '90
-SVT Lightning '93
-Bronco XLT '96
-SVT Lightning '03
-Bronco Concept '04
-SVT Sport Trac Adreneline Concept '05
-Escape Hybrid 4WD '05
-Explorer XLT V8 '06
-F-250 Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed 4WD Powerstroke '06
GMC
-Syclone '92
-Typhoon '93
-Safari SLT AWD '04
-Sierra Denali '05
Herbst
-Truggy Desert Racer '02
Honda
-Odyssey Absolute (J) '02
-Odyssey Touring (J) '03
-Odyssey EX (US Model) '05
-Pilot EX '05
-Ridgeline RTL '06
Hummer
-H1 SUT Alpha '05
-H2 '05
-H3 '06
Hyundai
-Santa Fe V6 '05
Infiniti
-FX45 '05
Izuzu
-Pup Turbodiesel '84(?)
-Trooper '85
-Amigo '92
-Rodeo '94
-VehiCross '98
-Axiom '04
-Ascender V8 '06
-i350 Extended Cab '06
Jeep
-Willys CJ1 '45
-Willys Jeepster '47
-Cherokee '84
-Commanche '87
-Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited '99(?)
-Liberty Sport CRD '05
-Liberty Limited V6 '05
-Wrangler Rubicon '05
-Hurricane Concept '05
-Grand Cherokee SRT-8 '06
-Commander Limited Hemi '06
Kia
-Mesa Concept '03
-Sorrento V6 '05
-Sorrento Desert Racer '03
Land Rover
-Series I '48
-Range Rover '78
-Range Stormer Concept '03
-Range Rover '05
-Freelander 4 Door '05
-Range Rover Sport Supercharged '05
-LR3 V8 SE '05
Lexus
-RX 400h '05
Lincoln
-Blackwood '02
-Navigator '05
-Mark LT '05
Mazda
-Rotary Pickup '72(?)
-Navajo '93
-B3000 Extended Cab Sportside 4WD '05
-Tribute ES '05
-MPV '05
-MX Crossport Concept '05
-5 '06
Mercedes-Benz
-280 G '79
-ML 320 '98
-ML 55 AMG '02
-G 55 AMG '05
-R 500 Long Version (US) '06
-ML 320 CDI '06
-ML 63 AMG '06
Mitsubishi
-Pajero Mini '98
-Airtek Turbo (J) '02
-Raider Extended Cab V8 '06
-Pajero Rally Raid '85
-Pajero Evo Rally Raid '03
Nissan
-Patrol (J) '68(?)
-Pathfinder EX '89
-Patrol (J) '00
-Quest GXE '05
-Frontier Extended Cab NISMO Off-Road '05
-Titan Extended Cab NISMO Off-Road '05
-Xterra 4WD '05
-X-Trail (J) '05
-Pickup Crew Cab Rally Raid '04
Oldsmobile
-Sillouhette '90
-Bravada '02
Saturn
-Vue Redline '05
Subaru
-Brat '78
-Baja '02
-Forester STi (J) '05
-B9 Tribeca '06
Suzuki
-Samurai '88
-XL-7 '05
-Grand Vitara '06
Toyota
-Land Cruiser FJ '69(?)
-Previa S/C '91
-FTX Concept '04
-Tacoma X-Runner '05
-Tundra V8 Double Cab 4WD '05
-RAV 4 '05
-FJ Cruiser '07
-T100 Desert Racer (Ivan "Ironman" Stewart) '99(?)
Volvo
-XC90 V8 '05
Volkswagen
-Transporter Type 1 '55
-Caddy/Rabbit Pickup '82
-AAC Concept '00
-Eurovan VR6 '03
-Touareg V10 TDI '04
-Race Touareg Rally Raid '05

To that makeshift car list post, three disagreements. (1) NO CADILLACS! Especially not the trucks. All I'd ever want from this company would be the Northstar LMP and maybe even the Speed World Challenge GT-bound Cadillac CTS-V. (2) Don't see myself racing Hummers either. (3) The Bowler Wildcat is an awesome machine and would be a sensational machine to race with.

That's all. Otherwise, not a bad truck list.

3895.jpg

602092.jpg

Would be nice...

A few problems: No Rendezvous' please, no Escape Hybrid, and no vans unless they are a) built on a truck frame and/or b) have AWD standard. If its an AWD minivan, at least have it be the sporty version.

Oh yeah, why forget the International Scout II of the 70's? That was one of the best SUV's on the market! Its 345 V8 had more torque than a Chevy Small Block 350! The best version was probably the Scout SSII with a factory soft-top, cut-out doors, and the 345 with dual exhaust.

I just whipped up that list with the vehicles I think PD would want to include. I know that not everyone would support the inclusion of this vehicle or that, but that's how a lot of vehicles in previous GTs have been.
Besides, in IGN's verbal account of the complete TGS trailer, they said it showed what looked like a Dakar-style desert course, similar to what was in Enthusia, so you never know... :sly:

I don't like truck racing, so hopefully that'll be something I can get out of the way quickly like I did in GT4. I don't want Polyphony reluctant to include anything, just make it possible to get overwith if you don't care for trucks or old, slower cars like I don't, or motorcycles if they decide to include them in the next GT.

As for bikes, just imagine if PD decided to have a full bore next gen motorcycle racing game with the scope of GT5, covering every aspect of bike racing from dirt bikes to TT Superbikes, with a career mode to boot! Make it so! :dopey:

Don't think of this as "PD has nothing better to put in the game, so they'll bring in trucks." I always say GT games are all about the drive. It's also about finding the thrill of the drive in almost anything you drive. Trucks are not just for towing cars, hauling cinderblocks, or off-road racing. They can still be performance machines. Don't follow the "fanboy" hoopla about Gran Turismo only being about racing in fast cars all the time. It's all about enjoying racing performance machines even if they aren't exactly "performance" machines. What's one of my favorite unusual autos? The Toyota Tacoma X-Runner. Tuned to perfection and with a lowering job, this truck is sensational. In fact, it may be an insult to call it a truck because it's too much like a car.

I think even "BlazinXtreme" can tell you that trucks can be just as much of performance machines as your average car. You want some real performance? The Dodge Ram SRT-10 is currently the world's fastest pickup truck. It's powered by a Dodge Viper motor for God's sake! For as much as I know, it's the world's fastest, either if it means fastest in the world, or "the world" as in America and some known European countries. Anyhow, there are performance machines that aren't limited to just cars. In a weird arrangement, I recently bought a Honda Odyssey and a Honda Element in GT4, trying to make sweet tuners out of both of them. I remembered seeing in an import car magazine about this Honda Odyssey modded up in Yokohama Tire livery. I'm sure it had b*tchin' performance to match. I can't find any pictures of the Odyssey in question, but I just want to experiment.

Bottom line- it's all about performance racing. Doesn't have to be in cars all the time.

Yes. Some semis( I saw one running at Pikes Peak on tv the other day!)
Maybe some unlimited tractor pulls-it's a redneck thing, but i caught on!
Definately, some pickups with liftkits, Maybe a Chevy Astro Van, had one, my dad rolled it. Any of the above wouild me cool. 👍

Oh yeah! I can't forget the Dodge Rumblebee! I think it's an SRT-10 with some minor mods. :)

Maybe this Odyssee?

494884_1_full.jpg

But anyways, yes you can turn a truck into a performance vehicle. I know I talk about this a lot but the Typhoon would lay waste to a ton of cars, hell like I say it is the Skyline of the truck world (awaits flames from fanboys). But yes it is a Skyline of the truck world, AWD, turbo, 285hp. But anyways its become quite popular for people to mod their trucks to get em tto go fast. There is finally a turbo kit for S-Trucks so people are starting to put those on and get up wards of 300hp out of a crappy 4.3L. Not to mention the full-size market where you can get trucks with power numbers in the 800's with a couple thousand bucks.

Oh ya diesels too. There are a ton of performance options out for them, and for about a grand you can get your diesel truck to have pretty close to a 1000hp.

JohnBM01
3-Wheel Drive... pretty creative screen name. Just wanted to say that.

I can understand you on big rig trucks. Don't think that I'm going to want to outlaw that kind of racing or make fun of them. I just don't know if there will be GT tracks to really support these things on the road. I'm sure that you'd want a lot of permanent circuits that favor the capabilities of these machines. So, it would be a nightmare to have big rig trucks on Opera Paris...

Thanks for the compliment, John. :sly: 👍
But I agree with what SagarisGTB said, it could be perfectly feasable. Yeah Cote d' azur and other similar tracks would be insane...but then again... :mischievous: 15+ big rigs racing at Motorland? Give me popcorn, I'll have dinner and a movie! Hell, I'll place bets!

John you could have them on a circuit like valencia

Personally i would prefer to have more SUV's rather than trucks.Cars like ML63amg's and BMW X5 4.8is. these are the sort of cars i could get something out of. the Audi pikes peak car they had on GT4 was good but not great. :confused:

they need to add more of these SUV's because by the way it is looking at the moment it would seem that they want us all to drive around in small electric chug chugs.lol:D

:cheers:

The main reason I like the GT games is because I can drive cars that I know of in real life, that I like, and it's pretty realistic. So I'd like to see trucks (and cars) that I'm familiar with, just to be able to drive them without limits. So I'd love to see some mid '90s trucks like the Grand Cherokee, S10 Blazer, Suburban, Explorer, Ranger, Cherokee, Wrangler, Pathfinder and all those regular guys. Complete with switchable 4WD and low-range gearing! (on some models) And maybe some offroading courses where the goal is not to beat other vehicles, but to not get stuck. You'd have to adjust your vehicles' suspension and tires, and figure out how to get unstuck and stuff. And I know this has been said, but a trailer-pulling contest would be fun, too.

lol this is an old post...anyways, i really do wanna see some more trucks and SUV's as well, especially the 80's and 90's models as well as some older ones and of course a few newer ones.

Back