Looking for a budget wheel!

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 42 comments
Canada
Oak Bay, NB, Canada
Bic44
Does anyone know where I can get a good wheel at a budget price? I want a decent one with 900 degree rotation and good force feedback. I used to have a driving force gt, and I was happy with that. I don't want to get a worse wheel than that, but I don't have a lot of money so that is important. I remember getting the DFGT for about $100 brand new on Amazon. Now I can't get it on Amazon Canada, unless I want to pay $300 (!!!!). Ebay ranges from $160-$400....for a used one :eek::crazy::crazy::yuck:. Being in Canada definitely hurts sometimes.

I am willing to pay close to $100 for a used one, and MAYBE up to $150 for a new one, taxes and shipping included. I work two jobs because my wife is not well, so paying for a T500 is way out of the question. And I looked into the Hori ones they sell at Gamestop, but based on the reviews they don't help you with lap times at all. (If any of you know where I can get a deal on a G25/27 that would be awesome!👍) Thanks!

DFGT is actually what I want (Well, I WANT a T500, but that is not going to happen). I just can't find any. Maybe if I was in the States I could, but not where I live. I'm looking for alternative places to shop online really. I don't think they sell the DFGT new anymore

DFGT is actually what I want (Well, I WANT a T500, but that is not going to happen). I just can't find any. Maybe if I was in the States I could, but not where I live. I'm looking for alternative places to shop online really. I don't think they sell the DFGT new anymore

Yeah the DFGT is out of production from what I've heard. It's discontinued (here in the States at least).

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is not well, the only thing I would suggest is to keep an eye out for second hand wheels. Its unfortunate you don't live in Australia, I have a G25 I'd be happy to give you but postage to Canada will be a killer and it has a 240V Australian plug and power supply, I suspect you will need a 110V one.

I'm sorry to hear that your wife is not well, the only thing I would suggest is to keep an eye out for second hand wheels. Its unfortunate you don't live in Australia, I have a G25 I'd be happy to give you but postage to Canada will be a killer and it has a 240V Australian plug and power supply, I suspect you will need a 110V one.
Thank you punknoodle! My wife does not have anything life threatening, just some problems that prevent her from working. And yeah, Ameer, I think it is discontinued everywhere. Best budget wheel and they cancel it. Leaving us with a choice of very low end wheels, or high end. It seems there is nothing to fill the gap in between

About 3 years ago I had to move when looking for work and I sold everything, including my dfgt and a custom made cockpit made from exhaust pipe and a seat from an Accord (my father ran an exhaust shop)

About 3 years ago I had to move when looking for work and I sold everything, including my dfgt and a custom made cockpit made from exhaust pipe and a seat from an Accord (my father ran an exhaust shop)

That's a bummer.

The next thing in line I'd say is the G27. Runs in the $200s.

You're outta luck. Second hand Driving Force GT is your best bet.

$200 might be doable if I can be patient and save. I also might eventually get a deal on ebay

I got my G27 off of amazon for a great price! DFGT is a good intro wheel. Mine had an issue where the wheel was wobbly... But you have to think about setup before a wheel... G27 has 2 clamps on the wheel, a retractable carpet grip on the pedals, and 3 clamps on the shifter.

I got my G27 off of amazon for a great price! DFGT is a good intro wheel. Mine had an issue where the wheel was wobbly... But you have to think about setup before a wheel... G27 has 2 clamps on the wheel, a retractable carpet grip on the pedals, and 3 clamps on the shifter.
Yeah...I'm going to build one, probably out of small pvc like a couple people have done on this site. There is also a couple ideas I have in my head to try.

G27s are definitely worth the extra, but don't bother getting anything less than a DFGT - they're not worth bothering with.

G27s are definitely worth the extra, but don't bother getting anything less than a DFGT - they're not worth bothering with.

Yeah, that is kinda what I thought. I want a wheel partly for fun, but a lot because I want to get faster. And I used to be faster with the DFGT

^ Yes. It's better to save money for a few more months and get at least a DFGT. Otherwise you're just throwing your money away.

Like most of the others said, if you can get your hands on the Driving Force GT you definitely have a fairly decent wheel.

Appreciate the replies everyone. Just wondering, though, if you know of any online store I can purchase a wheel for a fair price. (I do not consider $200+ a fair price for a DFGT) I have tried Amazon (Amazon Canada is not the best),tigerdirect, ebay and kijiji. I am willing to wait for shipping even if it comes from overseas

200+ for a DFGT? I bought mine for 150 NZD not on sale .. (124.93 US Dollar - 135.96 Canadian Dollar)

If you're willing to spend 200, get a G27 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_195_199&item_id=027366 - naturally there's a higher initial cost but frankly the jump in quality is worlds apart.

Alternatively - http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_1235&item_id=026777

Refurbed, but cheap!

I'd check craigslist and Ebay first though, people often sell their wheels when they grow tired of them - quick rub with some dettol and they'll be good as new ;)

200+ for a DFGT? I bought mine for 150 NZD not on sale .. (124.93 US Dollar - 135.96 Canadian Dollar)

If you're willing to spend 200, get a G27 http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_195_199&item_id=027366 - naturally there's a higher initial cost but frankly the jump in quality is worlds apart.

Alternatively - http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_1235&item_id=026777

Refurbed, but cheap!

I'd check craigslist and Ebay first though, people often sell their wheels when they grow tired of them - quick rub with some dettol and they'll be good as new ;)
Thank you so much UrieHusky! I googled everything I could think of but couldn't find one at this price. I will probably go with the DFGT, mostly because I don't think there has been any word on whether or not GT7 will support the G27. Don't want to waste $240 for a wheel I will use for a year or so if I eventually upgrade to a PS4. Again, thank you.

Fair enough :) just go check craigslist or your second hand trading website of choice for people selling privately, reconditioned items are cheap for a reason as you're taking a risk on their condition.

So if you do buy one just bear that in mind - sometimes it can be worth the extra buying new.

Fair enough :) just go check craigslist or your second hand trading website of choice for people selling privately, reconditioned items are cheap for a reason as you're taking a risk on their condition.

So if you do buy one just bear that in mind - sometimes it can be worth the extra buying new.
Yeah you are definitely right. Just might mean waiting for several months. I get a bonus this month at work, and if I don't get a wheel soon my money will be gone on silly things like bills:indiff:

Yeah...I'm going to build one, probably out of small pvc like a couple people have done on this site. There is also a couple ideas I have in my head to try.
My rig is a wheel stand pro and a used Volvo seat bolted to a 2x4 frame:
image.jpg

:lol: and a gear shift holder is made of iron tubing. I call it DIY :lol:

Last edited:
You only live once. Why not spoil yourself with the one you really like. You can save a bit more if you wait. Its your hard earned money. Reward yourself.

Consider it an early Christmas or Birthday present or Reward for all the years you worked hard. Don't worry that it might just be a waste of money, you could sell it later. Life is short make the most out of it. Enjoy every bit of it. :cheers:
fm4-t500.jpg

Do you like "The Price is Right"?
"show em what they're bidding on"
"Benny, your showcase includes this...beautiful collection of sim racing hardware!!, oooh aahhh

This is an expensive hobby, no way around it. Gotta pay to play. I would say the least you should pay for a decent budget wheel (like G27 and DFGT) is $150-300, middle of the road stuff like Gt500RS and CSWv2 are $500-$800, and high end wheels go for $1500-upwards... Then pedals, shifters, etc,etc.
Consoles - $400-$500
Computers - $600-upward
Screens - single or tripple, big screens, projectors or head mounted VR displays $300-$2000.
Cockpits - Diy to storebought $100-$1500.
Save up as much as you can.

All this can be yours if the price is right! Whats your starting bid?

Last edited:
Diligence is key. I have soooo much gear, but I still keep looking for deals. I'm grabbing a barely used DFGT for $20 today, just because it's a great deal. I'll give it to a friend, as I have no use for it.

Look for listings that aren't worded quite right. Some people are just not careful enough when they type things up, and sometimes a parent puts up stuff that the kids stopped using, or never really used at all. Often they just try to describe it without realising what the key words are, and often they just want it out of the way. So a parent might write "usb wheel for PS3" where they should be writing "Logitech DFGT". Happens a lot.

Back