Mad Max

• Thread starter Strittan
  • 337 comments

Strittan

Premium
Sweden
Sweden
Strittan
This is something I'm very excited about, being a fan of the movies and all (First two of 'em anyway.)

It's open world, you play as Mad Max obviously and there'll be car battles. You can customize your car as well as drive over 50 authentic Mad Max vehicles(!) as revealed in this GameSpot interview.

For you who doesn't know about about the movies I suggest you check them out and I'm pretty sure you'll get excited for this game!

Last edited:
I want to be the road warrior already! :dopey:
Me too!

I can't stop thinking about the "over 50 authentic Mad Max vehicles" statement. There's so many cool cars in the movies, and 50 should be a figure big enough to cover most of them! :drool:

madmax-interceptor-bigbopper-pursuitspecial-01.jpg

I'm not a fan of movies made into games, but this looks good. I'm a massive Mad Max fan so it's going to be hard to sell me on this, without feeling the legacy of the movie is being trashed.

I'm not a fan of movies made into games, but this looks good. I'm a massive Mad Max fan so it's going to be hard to sell me on this, without feeling the legacy of the movie is being trashed.

Last I heard was that it isn't playing in Australia, which slightly pisses me off.

Last I heard was that it isn't playing in Australia, which slightly pisses me off.

Why will the the characters have Australian accent then? And how come the steering wheel is on the right hand side?

Let's be fair Ace, they were going to film in New South Wales but had to move because of nature. The area received high rain levels and flourished with plant life, making it unfit. Namibia is in a drought still and thus makes for a good apocalyptic movie setting. Either way I'm sure Namibia desert looks on par with the scenes of Mad Max 2, which is what I envisioned when we first heard about the movie. Also New South Wales is the setting for Mad Max 2 I think.

Also Strittan has a point they are still emulating a Australian local, just not really in Australia, which isn't a surprise there have been plenty of movie that claim to be one place but shoot the movie elsewhere for many reasons.

This one is on my watch list. Seen the films, hope this game doesn't suffer the same fate as all other movie tie in games.

I don't really care about Mad Max (haven't watched the films in yeaaaaaaars, too put off by Melanie Gibstein's well documented misogyny and anti-semitism to watch them now), but if it holds a candle to Just Cause 2 in terms of hilarious gameplay, I'm sold. Problem is, it seems unlikely there will be a grappling hook and infinite parachutes. And helicopters, jets and boats. And flying nightclubs. Still, I'm ready to receive more data on this.

What slightly annoys me, and I've no doubt a lot of other people, is that Mel Gibson is Mad Max, mad swiveling eyes and all, and giving him a rather generic angry guy look will ruin the atmosphere and feel of the game/movie crossover.

That fact also slightly annoys me, but i'm willing to look past if the rest of the game is up to speed so to speak.

Let's be fair Ace, they were going to film in New South Wales but had to move because of nature. The area received high rain levels and flourished with plant life, making it unfit. Namibia is in a drought still and thus makes for a good apocalyptic movie setting. Either way I'm sure Namibia desert looks on par with the scenes of Mad Max 2, which is what I envisioned when we first heard about the movie. Also New South Wales is the setting for Mad Max 2 I think.

Also Strittan has a point they are still emulating a Australian local, just not really in Australia, which isn't a surprise there have been plenty of movie that claim to be one place but shoot the movie elsewhere for many reasons.

As an aussie, I can assure all that there would have been plenty of desert left.

On the topic of accents: the only thing worse than a bogan aussie accent, is someone trying but failing to replicate a bogan aussie accent. So, lesser evil for me I suppose.

The look of the game reminds me of Powerslide, coincidentally(?) a game developed in Australia. I did like the tone of the announcement trailer, though the "gameplay" trailer inspired less so.

As an aussie, I can assure all that there would have been plenty of desert left.

On the topic of accents: the only thing worse than a bogan aussie accent, is someone trying but failing to replicate a bogan aussie accent. So, lesser evil for me I suppose.

The look of the game reminds me of Powerslide, coincidentally(?) a game developed in Australia. I did like the tone of the announcement trailer, though the "gameplay" trailer inspired less so.

Then you must not like Mel? Also for the shooting of the movie from what a fellow Aussie and the mind behind the film saw, clearly didn't think there was enough for a post-apocalyptic film. Also considering how much it'd cost to shoot in Namibia then move to New South Wales...it'd be stupid to do so.

This reminds me of old PSone game, called Vigilante 8 and the other one Twisted Metal.

Doesn't remind me in any way post apocalyptic game of any kind like Fallout or something like that. I hope world would be interesting. :)

Bit of details from Game Informer :
  • Events in the game take place before the new movie, Mad Max: Fury Road. Although this is still Avalanche's own take on Max and the Wasteland.
  • Director of the Mad Max movies, George Miller, was directly involved in the beginning of development before being occupied with filming Fury Road. Avalanche still kept him and his company KMM updated on the development of the game.
  • Your main nemesis in the game and warlord of the Wasteland is Scrotus. His gang attack Max in the beginning and steal his Interceptor and leave him for dead.
  • Early in the game you come across Dog like from The Road Warrior. Dog is able to sniff out water and other supplies. (WOOHOOO !)
  • Bit of a spin on invisible walls: You can travel beyond the borders and limits of the in-game map to an area called The Big Nothing, a volatile part of the wasteland where no food or water is present and is consumed by dangerous sandstorms. If you can survive a few seconds in the area you'll sometimes find some rare parts for your car that the storms throw around.
  • Within the Wasteland you'll need food and water to replenish Max's health and both are scarce. Avalanche point out to try looking in the sky for circling birds, this usually means there could be something dead and decomposing they're flying over which means...maggots. They're a good source of protein for Max and you can consume rodents for health too.
  • While food and water are scarce fuel isn't. From Emil Krafting, senior game designer: "We want resources to be scarce, but we also want a car game, we want to drive a lot and so on. So gas can’t be super scarce, because otherwise it would be a walking game instead of a driving game,”.
  • On foot hand to hand combat still feels like the Batman: Arkham games. Rhythmic button presses, counter-attacks, and being able to roll or dodge attacks.
  • You have access to your Garage from the pause menu allowing you to upgrade your car on the fly. The original plan was to have Garages scattered across the Wasteland but Avalanche felt it interfered with gameplay.
  • You can find various "Vantage Points" around the wasteland that are tethered hot air balloons. Going up in these you can use your binoculars to scout the area to find resources, landmarks, strongholds, scarecrows and even see enemy convoys. Discovering these adds them to your map similar to State of Decay. Some of the Vantage Points however might be chained up meaning you'll need to use the Magnum Opus's harpoon gun to free them or the hot air balloons might require fuel.
  • Save/Checkpoint system is described as "forgiving". If you find scrap or a collectible you don't lose it despite dying and when you do die the game respawns you at the nearest Vantage Point or liberated stronghold.
  • You can take out Scrotus' strongholds and doing so reduces his influence in the Wasteland and the vacant strongholds allows for other wastelanders to move in and take refuge. Likewise, totemic scarecrows littered around the Wasteland to terrorize wastelanders can be destroyed to further reduce his influence.
  • You meet Max's companion, Chumbucket, fairly early in the game and rides along with you in the Magnum Opus wielding a harpoon gun. He can use the harpoon gun to rip off tires and other parts on enemy vehicles, pull enemies out of the drivers seat and even use to impale enemies on foot.
  • An upgrade to the harpoon is called The Thunderpoon....Yup I'm serious..
  • Chumbucket can also improve his skills if you acquire some new new tools, goggles or a head lamp. His skills become vital because Chum is responsible for fixing your car should you take too much damage.
  • Chumbucket also acts as a sort of GPS by pointing interesting landmarks.
  • GI heads to a fortified lighthouse stronghold lead by an NPC called Jeet. Himself and his small group of people in the stronghold are sick wanting medicine with Jeet described as a bit of tweaker suffering from extreme head pains and controls them by embedding shards of metal in to his body to cause pain elsewhere.
  • Another NPC encountered is a race announcer/organizer who is decked in Christmas lights head to toe with a lackey following behind carrying a generator to power the lights.

It looks promising and exciting to play! 3.5 years of developement and with all the Mad Max goodies inside. Sound and looks great!

Back