Maserati Tipo 54 450S 1957

Sick_Cylinder
Maserati 450S.jpg

Between 1957 - 1962 the Maserati 450S notched up 31 wins in 119 races. It was the most powerful sports car of its time with a 400bhp 4.5 litre V8. I would definitely like to have this in the game to compete with its rivals from Ferrari, Aston Martin (refer to DBR1 thread), Jaguar (refer to D Type thread) and Chevrolet (refer to 1960 Corvette Racer thread).

Maserati 450S Engine.jpg

Magnificent twin ignition 4.5 litre V8. NB some cars were raced in the SCCA and had their engines enlarged to 5.7 and even 6.6 litres!

Great clip hosted by former professional racing driver Alain de Cadanet.

One chassis was rebodied by Zagato to a design by Frank Costin (of Vanwall, Lotus, Marcos and Cosworth fame). Please vote for that car by following this link:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/maserati-450s-zagato-costin-coupe-1957.301336/

Last edited:
Hey Sick Cylinder, looks like you and me have to same car taste! Another great classic racecar!

I love V8s with all my heart, and the noise that V8 in the video you posted makes is so beautiful I almost cried. It would be great to have this car in the game (especially the 400 cubic inch version!)

The body looks kind of similar to the 1950s Ferrari Testarossa, don't you think?

I think the cars were built between 1956 and 1958, but raced 1956 - 1962.

Here's Carroll Shelby next to the 450S he raced in 1957:
CarrollShelbyAtVirginiaInternationalRaceway2007.jpg

-Sonny

You are right Sonny - they carried on racing them for a number of years after they were built and some privateers enlarged the engines to keep them competitive.

The 300S was also a lovely car - very similar looking, but with a six cylinder motor.

Maserati_300_S.jpg

Yes - we do have a similar taste in classic cars - I particularly liked the Ferrari Daytona Spyder that you used to drive around the streets of Miami!

Yes - we do have a similar taste in classic cars - I particularly liked the Ferrari Daytona Spyder that you used to drive around the streets of Miami!

Yeah well that was actually a '76 Corvette with a 3 speed automatic. But hey, that's pretty good too, right?

The 300S looks great, but I'd rather have the 450S (V8 fan-boy)

I'm sure I'll see around again, as we have a tendency to bump into eachother here at the forums.

See ya!

-Sonny

Back