McLaren F1 GTR: Most Overpowered GT Car in GT5?

• Thread starter Dan
  • 8 comments

Dan

Premium
United States
United States
So I normally do the 650pp Nurburgring race in Online A-Spec Challenge #4 to rack up cash and XP. But one problem I frequently have is that the 1st car is always the McLaren F1 GTR Race Car. It is twice as fast as the other AI cars. I usually use my own F1 GTR Race Car so I can get an easy win, but when I decide not to use it, I always get my bum handed to me. I can cycle through the event till there is a field of cars that are easier (Corvette C5R, Citroen GT, etc). I am a decent driver, but not a newbie. And I am aware of other seasonal events that offer the same cash/XP.

What are your opinions on the F1 GTR and other overpowered cars?

The McLaren F1 GTR is the quickest car in this class, not so much because of ultra high HP, but because it is so light and handles wonderfully. The 2J is also very quick, as is the Zonda R. Personally I lower the PP level significantly then race allowing even bigger payoffs.
BANG

Many Seasonals have one or two elite cars/AI drivers. But like you mentioned, a cycle or two of the grid kills it off.

The McLaren F1 GTR is the quickest car in this class, not so much because of ultra high HP, but because it is so light and handles wonderfully. The 2J is also very quick, as is the Zonda R. Personally I lower the PP level significantly then race allowing even bigger payoffs.
BANG

I rarely have problems with the Zonda R, but the 2J is a pain as well. I'm still trying to buy one!

Thankfully there hasn't been any hate-filled comments yet.

"0MFG DAN U SUK AT DIS GAME!!! I R A UBER 1337 PRO AT GT5!" -probably drives with auto transmission on and uses TCS.

What?

Mclaren F1 GTR is a monster. At 650pp its capable of running in the 5:40's at the Nordschleife. No other car in its class can touch it speed wise. In an endurance race, it would have to be slowed down a bit to try an negate tire wear. Single lap, or no tire wear sprints its unbeatable.. From what I can remember, only LMP cars can hang with it.

What?

Mclaren F1 GTR is a monster. At 650pp its capable of running in the 5:40's at the Nordschleife. No other car in its class can touch it speed wise. In an endurance race, it would have to be slowed down a bit to try an negate tire wear. Single lap, or no tire wear sprints its unbeatable.. From what I can remember, only LMP cars can hang with it.

I've had it do 6:20 lap times on the Nordschleife. Probably because I'm on a controller, not a wheel.

But it seems out of place amongst a field of slower GT500 SuperGT cars, and other GT class cars.

I'm pretty sure the Peugeot 905 is capable of keeping pace with the mclaren. I run 5:58 with it and i'm not an fantastic driver by any means

Back