McLaren P1 Saga of a Missing Hypercar theories and discussion.

United States
Heaven
I been thinking on theories why this car is not in the game.

As you know the Porsche 918 and the Laferrari which also makeup the holy 3 from that time are in GT7.
Cypress Bowl Road_.jpegGran Turismo® 7_20240817084601.jpg
The McLaren P1 is 1 of the most voted car in the car suggestion forum with over 680 votes.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240817084309.jpg
What makes it even more puzzling is the fact the McLaren P1 GTR is in the game.

My theory on why the P1 is not in the game maybe McLaren thinks the p1 gtr is enough maybe its a pcars 2 situation.

Share your theories on why you think the P1 road car is not in the game.

To end mods please lock if you think this thread is pointless.

Also please don't turn this into a car wishlist thread.

There are threads for that here.

It's seriously weird, isn't it? I still hope we'll get it one day, to complete the hypercar trinity. At least we got them all in Forza 8, where I'll also be comparing them to each other.

It was a cover car for Forza at some point wasn't it? I assume there's some licensing thing going on, as far as I can think no Forza cover car has come to GT7.

Edit: after some research I'm talking poop but licensing still is my guess.

Last edited:
I also think it's weird that the GTR is there but not the roadgoing P1. But then, this is just one in a long list of weird choices of cars included or excluded in the game, both in GT7 and earlier iterations.

Why the Countach Anniversary and not the 5000QV, usually regarded as the pick of the bunch? Why are most convertibles, but not all, presented with their roof up and no option to drop it? Why the Miura prototype and not any of the production versions? Same for a couple of other prototypes in the game. Why is the Lotus license not affordable in GT now, but most competitors have them? Same for Porsche in the past. Why no roadgoing Alfas with a Busso V6, arguably the company's most famous engine? But we get the MiTo? In fact, why is there a huge gap in Alfa's lineup from about 1930 to about 2010 with only a single Giulia to fill it? Alfa's reputation was built in those decades.

Why no Ferrari 355? Apart from that though, the Ferrari range is pretty good.

Why no Jalpa or Silhouette when they have the 308, Pantera and Merak?

Why no Alpines between the original and modern A110s?

Why so few Jaguars? None of their roadgoing sportscars apart from the E-type? The F-type is there in GT format but not roadgoing?

EDIT: I think I'm wrong with this one. I've just watched a video in the GT7 Physics thread featuring a roadgoing F-Type. I must have forgotten about it, I'll go back and recheck next time I am on.

Why so many BMWs but no M1? Also very under-represented from the 1980s with no early M5, no M635csi, 325i, no Z1...

These are rhetorical questions. PD will have reasons for all of those choices, it will likely be different reasons for each, and they are unlikely to ever share them with us.

Ultimately, the car selection is what it is. It's enough to keep me happy, and no matter what they choose something will always be missing.

Last edited:
I don't think it's anything nefarious. PD just have seriously weird licensing and inclusion priorities.
Look at the entire car list. There's tons of weird omissions everywhere - the P1 is just another one of those. I'm still wondering where the Autozam AZ-1 is or why we don't have a C5 Corvette.

Yep. Their car list have always been bizarre, more so I think for a western palette. With GT 1 and 2 it wasn't as bright an issue as it is now because they didn't have any competition so their car list just looked huge.

It has also always been Japan focussed with some western influence. Forza is the other way around, all sorts of models of popular US and European cars, and some of the Asian stuff that has had an impact on western car culture. I'm sure Forza's car list feels as oddly balanced to someone in Japan as GT's does to someone in USA or Europe.

I also think it's weird that the GTR is there but not the roadgoing P1. But then, this is just one in a long list of weird choices of cars included or excluded in the game, both in GT7 and earlier iterations.

Why the Countach Anniversary and not the 5000QV, usually regarded as the pick of the bunch? Why are most convertibles, but not all, presented with their roof up and no option to drop it? Why the Miura prototype and not any of the production versions? Same for a couple of other prototypes in the game. Why is the Lotus license not affordable in GT now, but most competitors have them? Same for Porsche in the past. Why no roadgoing Alfas with a Busso V6, arguably the company's most famous engine? But we get the MiTo? In fact, why is there a huge gap in Alfa's lineup from about 1930 to about 2010 with only a single Giulia to fill it? Alfa's reputation was built in those decades.

Why no Ferrari 355? Apart from that though, the Ferrari range is pretty good.

Why no Jalpa or Silhouette when they have the 308, Pantera and Merak?

Why no Alpines between the original and modern A110s?

Why so few Jaguars? None of their roadgoing sportscars apart from the E-type? The F-type is there in GT format but not roadgoing?

Why so many BMWs but no M1? Also very under-represented from the 1980s with no early M5, no M635csi, 325i, no Z1...

These are rhetorical questions. PD will have reasons for all of those choices, it will likely be different reasons for each, and they are unlikely to ever share them with us.

Ultimately, the car selection is what it is. It's enough to keep me happy, and no matter what they choose something will always be missing.
The bolded question is something we have the answer to: the Miura in game won the GT award at Pebble Beach, so it was to be included. On the other hand, why do we have Stroll's 330 P4 but not the P4 which
won that same award? Who knows...

This clip springs to my mind when I read the thread title:

TL;DW is that Ferrari and McLaren are a bit picky about having their respective cars compared against each other's. Maybe someone didn't want a vanilla P1 being compared against the ludicrously lightened LaFerrari in this game and being led to think that the P1 is rubbish (the LaF weighs 1,255kg (2,767lbs) in this game; Motor Trend reports theirs to be 1,585kg (3,495lbs)). I think we got a happy compromise with the P1 GTR being included in the game, but not as a direct apples to apples comparison as a non road legal car.

Again, this is just speculation; other shows have since been able to bring all three together for a direct comparison. This is just one possible reason why there's friction in getting the vanilla P1 into the game.

maybe i do knot know the minutiae of McLaren but what is the difference between the P1 and the P1 GTR?
The P1 GTR is a track only version of the P1, like the F1 GTR was for the road going F1, except I don’t know of the P1 is built to any existing race regulations. I don’t think it is from what I can tell from the Wiki article.

maybe i do knot know the minutiae of McLaren but what is the difference between the P1 and the P1 GTR?

The P1 GTR is a track only version of the P1, like the F1 GTR was for the road going F1, except I don’t know of the P1 is built to any existing race regulations. I don’t think it is from what I can tell from the Wiki article.
Yup and only 58 units were made.

Thanks to Lanzante around 27 have been converted for street use.

Plot twist, it'll be a new 20m credit Hagerty by christmas
Except as mentioned, NONE of the Legendary Dealership cars are newer then 2001.

Don't hang your hat on that one, apparently this car is super limited numbers. That makes it tick at least one of the boxes, we shall see
I can at least think of 30 cars in the legendary dealership that completely renders this logic flawed. Also, tell me how 375 units is "Super Limited". The P1 GTR only has 58 made and IT isn't in the Legendary Dealership (That and the obvious fact its well after 2001). Where are you seriously even getting this idea that completely ignores the established pattern that's been happening for 2 years now?

Last edited:
Except as mentioned, NONE of the Legendary Dealership cars are newer then 2001.

I can at least think of 30 cars in the legendary dealership that completely renders this logic flawed. Also, tell me how 375 units is "Super Limited". The P1 GTR only has 58 made and IT isn't in the Legendary Dealership (That and the obvious fact its well after 2001). Where are you seriously even getting this idea that completely ignores the established pattern that's been happening for 2 years now?
Many features of the game have never materialised, in spite of comments to the contrary from the developers. I am therefore not one to take everything said as truth.

If I'm wrong? shrugs

Many features of the game have never materialised, in spite of comments to the contrary from the developers. I am therefore not one to take everything said as truth.
And what does that have to do with what is currently in the game? Its the most painfully obvious pattern established and all it takes is you know, having working eyes and observing it. There comes a point where being cynical, to the point where you again ignore a pattern that has been there from year 1, just makes you look like a massive fool.

Last edited:
And what does that have to do with what is currently in the game? Its the most painfully obvious pattern established and all it takes is you know, having working eyes and observing it. There comes a point where being cynical, to the point where you again ignore a pattern that has been there from year 1, just makes you look like a massive fool.
Nice obfuscation of my post where I clearly say "if I'm wrong shrugs " making it perfectly clear it is my opinion and if it's wrong, it's wrong.

Omitting that to make it seem like a soap box rant makes you look a much bigger fool than I could ever desire to be.

Nice obfuscation of my post where I clearly say "if I'm wrong shrugs " making it perfectly clear it is my opinion and if it's wrong, it's wrong.
The fact said opinion ignores an established fact that is painfully obvious ( And has nothing to do with comments from the developers or "Features not materializing") was enough for me to observe that you've ignored anything factual just to be cynical. And somehow I'm supposed just accept that the shrug is if you're wrong then you're wrong as opposed to you not caring as you've demonstrated with how you justified your opinion. But let me guess: You don't need to be correct to have an opinion is what you'll tell me next? Your use of the word "Obfuscation" sure isn't.

Last edited:
The fact said opinion ignores an established fact that is painfully obvious ( And has nothing to do with comments from the developers or "Features not materializing") was enough for me to observe that you've ignored anything factual just to be cynical. And somehow I'm supposed just accept that the shrug is if you're wrong then you're wrong as opposed to you not caring as you've demonstrated with how you justified your opinion. But let me guess: You don't need to be correct to have an opinion is what you'll tell me next? Your use of the word "Obfuscation" sure isn't.
You are arguing about correct over a vehicle which is does not exist in the game. Who can possibly be wrong or right here?

You are arguing about correct over a vehicle which is does not exist in the game. Who can possibly be wrong or right here?
Ok then, I'll put this way: I can confidently say that your "Opinion" about a car that hasn't shown up with the possibility of showing up in this game in the Legendary Car dealership is terribly informed (perhaps on purpose) based on again, established facts:

- There are NO cars newer then 2000 that are in the Legendary Dealership.

- There are NO cars in Brands Central that are 20 Million Credits.

There's the facts. No claims from devs and nothing to do with "Features not materializing", observations that anyone with the game or even looking at the game can see.

Who's more wrong you ask? How about the person making statements like this:

Plot twist, it'll be a new 20m credit Hagerty by christmas
And justifying it solely because you don't believe what the devs say all while said facts are right in front of you if you bothered looking WITHOUT the devs saying anything.

If you want to snap into a healthy discussion instead of going back to this nonsense, then by all means please do. I'll just leave having made my point.

Last edited:
Licensing and the associated $$$. Although we're still firmly in the realm of speculation.

The P1 has appeared in every Forza Motorsport game since 5, so I'd imagine there is either a lock-out clause in Microsofts agreement with McLaren, or due to the car featuring in Forza and other games, McLaren have pushed the licensing costs up.

PD don't have an unlimited budget - they have to balance the books as any other company does, so I'd imagine it's simply a case of McLaren asking too much and PD knowing they can get other cars in for a fraction of the cost of the P1, and as these cars are added in free updates, cars that have expensive licensing agreements (that PD don't already have in place) are likely less enticing to add.

Seeing as we have the 80s and 2000s trinity completed I have a feeling the 90s and 2010s ones will soon be completed also:

80s: Ferrari F40, Porsche 959 and Lamborghini Countach
the-original-holy-trinity-is-complete-v0-gfqfw3j5qzqa1.jpg

2000s: Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, Mercedes SLR McLaren
favourite-car-from-the-holy-trinity-v0-qiy95yofkibb1.png
Missing the EB110 and /or CLK GTR straßenversion to complete the 90's. For this decade, we need some combination of the Mercedes-AMG One, Rimac Nevera, Koenigsegg Jesko and GMA T.50 to compliment the Valkryie.

Missing the EB110 and /or CLK GTR straßenversion to complete the 90's. For this decade, we need some combination of the Mercedes-AMG One, Rimac Nevera, Koenigsegg Jesko and GMA T.50 to compliment the Valkryie.
I personally believe the bolded will be coming at some point, it just logically makes so much sense but this is PD they add cars at random so we'll just have to see if they indeed get added at some point.

Latest Posts

Back