Inactive due to lack of GT7 or FH5
Premium
Philippines
Metro Manila
jkty1029
13560244694_368ed4f608_z.jpg

(link)
Throttle TV Magazine
Evo enthusiasts, this is not an April Fools' prank (because word just came out on March 31). Mitsubishi announced the Lancer Evolution X will reached its end of production somewhere late 2014 due to the lack of consumers wanting an All-Wheel-Drive performance sedan. Oh, and don't think about a successor because there won't be in the future.
Mitsubishi spokeswoman Namie Koketsu spoke to Automotive News about the future of the brand performance sector.

"Mitsubishi Motors does not have any plans to design a successor with the current concept, as a high-performance four-wheel-drive gasoline-powered sedan. We would explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology."

- Namie Koketsu, Mitsubishi spokeswoman

It is unknown whether it will bear the Evolution moniker or not.
To bid a farewell, Mitsubishi UK released a much faster version of the Evo X called the FQ-440 MR. It has a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine creating, you guessed it, 440 ponies, 40 more than its previous version, the FQ-400. The 40 also signifies the years the Evo was sold in Britain...and also its last year to exist. Only 40 models will be available for customers.

13562920215_edfae3c592_z.jpg

Are you happy, sad or meh with Mitsubishi's decision?

Meh, I never trusted the Evolution to be a proper daily driver after a friend bought an '08 GSR and cursed it everyday (but only after you refused to buy it off him).

I do like the most recent generation more than most (favorite generation being the fifth and sixth) but it still wasn't enough for me to put money in Mitsubishi's pockets.

MITSUBISHI_LANCER_EVO6_TM_CP9A_SIDE_DECAL_SET_71410.jpg

Some false statements in that article.

The Evo hasn't been around long enough to have been sold here in Britain for 40 years. That fact probably applies to the Lancer. Being picky? You bet. :P

Extremely saddened, I've always looked at the Lancer Evo with awe - A car that could be taken to a track or a rally stage while also being able to take the kids to school in just as much comfort as any normal sedan.

But hey, maybe it's for the best. With cars becoming more and more bloated perhaps it's best we savour the nice round number of 10 generations of corner munching smile generators.

Little bummed that there won't be another performance Mitsubishi for the masses.

And I'm predicting a party will be happening at your local Subaru dealership (which lives with selling high-performance four-wheel-drive gasoline-powered sedan until the BRZ came along).

Ergo, Mitsubishi needs an 86, call it something silly like Minigun or Knight or whatever. :P

due to the lack of consumers wantng an All-Wheel-Drive performance sedan.
It's not that people don't want AWD performance sedan, it's that Evo X is old and outdated. It been out for 7-8 years without any updates to it's looks, most companies give their cars facelifted after 5 years or so. The look of the Evo X is old now, at least give an updated look after a few years. No gen. of Evo every lasted for less then 2 years, the Evo X is 7-8 years old.

I'm happy that production of the Evo X is done, I'm sick and tired of it.

I can't lie, I'm kinda sad hearing this. I have been a fan of the 4g63 since high school, I'm walking home one day after school getting off the bus and I hear a rev next to me, I look, and it's my best friend that owned a red berretta GTZ pull up in a red 1990 eagle talon tsi awd turbo. He says hop in and takes me for a ride in his new ride that I did'nt know anything about.

He takes it to some backroads and let's her open up, I was hooked ever since. So much that around 2004, I wanted one for myself. I found a low mileage 1990 Mitsubishi eclipse GSX. Clean too! First thing I did was went over his house to show off, he loved it, took him for a ride and let him drive. He got rid of his Talon a couple of years before I got my GSX in 06. And in 05 he bought a 2003 350z, so you know I wanted to race.
We did, and my 2800 dollar GSX beat his at the time 25000 dollar 350z at the light. AWD ftw! He was pissed off, and went and put almost 10 grand in to his 350z, but by that time I had a child on the way in 2006 and regretfully I had to get rid of my GSX for a four door. Still had my 97 GTI VR6 tho, so I was'nt to mad.

But long story short, I have always been a fan of the eclipse, talon, evo, galant vr4 and the 4B11 Xs. I guess they had a good 25 year run and all good things comes to an end. 4g63>STI!

"Mitsubishi Motors does not have any plans to design a successor with the current concept, as a high-performance four-wheel-drive gasoline-powered sedan. We would explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology."

If so.. that means that one rumor about the XI being a 500hp hybrid GTR killer...could possibly be true.. Not sure if i feel happy or sad by that..

In this day and age when even the most asinine, infuriating, or completely unknown thing can be brought back from death, I don't see Mitsu NEVER using the Evo ? tag again. I'd think it would simply go into hiding, then if Mitsu lives long enough to release a new Lancer, "Blast from the Past".

And I've never put the Evo on par with the GT-R, any of them really. The Lancer is a Family car that happens to make a really good racer/rally car, same with the Impreza. GT-Rs, Celicas/Supras, 3000GTs, and the such I see as sports cars built be good racers/rally cars, with practicality an option.

Also, Nissan wouldn't let the little punks get near their prize-fighter.

What's that you say, the STi is a great car and still kicking well no tears to be shed here then.

I saw this coming, and though I thought it was laid to rest when Mitsubishi claimed last year that they were in the process of the next Generation I still had my doubts. Slowly this car has been fading as the tuner scene has died out. Also Mitsubishi as a brand in general isn't super massive these days I can't recall that last time I saw a promotion for them or anything really.

I'm not entirely surprised.

When you're fielding a $40,000 car based on a shoddy entry-level car that isn't any better than the Subaru that they consider their primary competition, well, you bet that you're going to cancel it. Even worse, your company is hemorrhaging money in the US, the only market that can turn your sinking ship. You know, the market that you gave the Mirage, and you haven't promoted it whatsoever.

Do a cheap Evolution. Like how the Ralliart was. People might buy it. Just hope that it's reliable.

I'm not entirely surprised.

When you're fielding a $40,000 car based on a shoddy entry-level car that isn't any better than the Subaru that they consider their primary competition, well, you bet that you're going to cancel it.
I have never understood why the EVO was so expensive. Especially the 4G63 motored versions.

I'm in a bad dream, someone pinch me.

I always had a soft spot for the Evo. I still see a few around even a heavily tuned Evo X. I will miss the Impreza and Evo battles in magazines or on TV.

So what does the Impreza have to rival now?? CLA 45 AMG and S3 saloon??
Crying_spongebob.gif

Too bad, although I saw it coming some day after they droped out of WRC. I hope this at least means more people buying the Sti and therefor securing Subaru's AWD power-sedan program...

Too bad, although I saw it coming some day after they droped out of WRC. I hope this at least means more people buying the Sti and therefor securing Subaru's AWD power-sedan program...
Hasn't Mitsu been out of WRC for almost a decade now?

Really does suck, but at the same time, I'm not really surprised (as others have stated). RocZX said it best; its odd that every other Evo got an update 18 months after each other, with each one being in incorporating new technology and revised styling. Whilst the X is an aggressive looking car, I don't think wide fender/panel flares, holes in the bonnet and a huge wing (which can be optioned away, in fairness) don't sit well with modern consumers.

Another part of the problem is that it shifted too far away from what it was designed for. Going from a rally/track monster to being a business jet in the mould of the big German offerings (Audi S4, M3 saloon/sedan, etc.) doesn't really work when your interior is too spartan and the engine is quite primitive in comparison. Also ties in with in the above point of it looking a bit juvenile for its new intended audience.

TL;DR - Tried to move away from rally history, didn't work out so well. My $0.02.

To be honest the conglomerate that is Mitsubishi treated their car division like they didn't like cars to begin with. Shoddy quality, poor product development, poor marketing, poor servicing.

Really does suck, but at the same time, I'm not really surprised (as others have stated). RocZX said it best; its odd that every other Evo got an update 18 months after each other, with each one being in incorporating new technology and revised styling. Whilst the X is an aggressive looking car, I don't think wide fender/panel flares, holes in the bonnet and a huge wing (which can be optioned away, in fairness) don't sit well with modern consumers.

Another part of the problem is that it shifted too far away from what it was designed for. Going from a rally/track monster to being a business jet in the mould of the big German offerings (Audi S4, M3 saloon/sedan, etc.) doesn't really work when your interior is too spartan and the engine is quite primitive in comparison. Also ties in with in the above point of it looking a bit juvenile for its new intended audience.

TL;DR - Tried to move away from rally history, didn't work out so well. My $0.02.

Now that explains why it was so expensive compared to the WRX.

Latest Posts

Back