Mitsubishi will pull the Lancer Evolution's plug by the end of 2014

• Thread starter jus1029
  • 114 comments
I'd be more saddened if they stopped while they were ahead with IX. Now, like others I'm, meh.

Jerome

I was very sad when I heard the news. Even though I'm a Mitsu enthusiast I have to say I did sort of see this coming, going to be a lot harder to buy my dream IX now :(

Do you mean to increase the weight of the Evo?
I doubt the Evo X was 4000 lbs. It could have been but I doubt it (will only take a second of looking on google). Wikipedia reports it being between 3100 and 3500 lbs based on trim/options.
I mean if they replace it with a return of the 3000GT.

I mean if they replace it with a return of the 3000GT.

Fair enough, that car did look (I know looks aren't the best judgement) heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to friend about this... he said the later ones are much harder to remap/tweak so the hardcore fanbase is centred around the slighly older models.

He has three 5s/6s (I think) so he's biased. I also think the 'new' market will be different spenders.

They're going to continue to make the Lancer though, as far as I know, the Evo is the worst one to buy as a daily driver anyway, it's much less hassle to run a standard and the parts are cheaper :)

The X also has a completely different engine. The IX and earlier models had the absurdly robust 4G63 engine.

Like 1000bhp, 55psi (3.8 bar) & 10,000rpm robust:

That said, the new 4B11 seems to be pretty solid too. But the Evo X is a larger, heavier, more luxurious, and more complicated car, which takes away from the pure, purpose built demeanor of the previous generations.

I'm sure the 4B11 would have been much better accepted if the reasons they said they replaced it had actually panned out instead of just being a cover story for "our Chrysler masters made us".

I was talking to friend about this... he said the later ones are much harder to remap/tweak so the hardcore fanbase is centred around the slighly older models.

He has three 5s/6s (I think) so he's biased. I also think the 'new' market will be different spenders.
Erm my mate had 2 evo x's one a gsr and one a rs.

The gsr with a filter exhaust fuel pump and remap made 409bhp then he went mental and fitted a fully forged engine squentual gearbox race car build which has won races against ex touring and gt race cars.

The rs with a filter fuel pump and remap made 413bhp.

His previous evo 5 rs which had a filter fuel pump exhaust and remap made 397bhp.

His old evo 5 gsr with a evo 7 rs engine filter fuel pump exhaust evo 9 turbo and remap was 403bhp.

His evo 7 ran with its engine twice before it got a 750bhp build.

Erm my mate had 2 evo x's one a gsr and one a rs.

The gsr with a filter exhaust fuel pump and remap made 409bhp then he went mental and fitted a fully forged engine squentual gearbox race car build which has won races against ex touring and gt race cars.

The rs with a filter fuel pump and remap made 413bhp.

His previous evo 5 rs which had a filter fuel pump exhaust and remap made 397bhp.

His old evo 5 gsr with a evo 7 rs engine filter fuel pump exhaust evo 9 turbo and remap was 403bhp.

His evo 7 ran with its engine twice before it got a 750bhp build.

Sounds like the Evo shouldn't die.
Then again, building a race car and building a street car are two different things.
I wonder if mitsubishi knows that. :confused:

Sounds like the Evo shouldn't die.
Then again, building a race car and building a street car are two different things.
I wonder if mitsubishi knows that. :confused:
The post was about modifying the cars so I guess both owners didn't listen to Mitsubishi about not modifying them.

The 4G63 had to die because it was getting impossible to make it meet emissions targets. Same as with the SR20DET.

While in turbocharged form, you just keep tweaking the boost and cam profiles to gain back whatever power you lose from the latest round of emissions changes, by the time they canned the naturally aspirated versions of these motors, which made 145 (4G63, 170 hp in AMG trim) and 145 hp (SR20DE, 197 hp in SR20VE trim) in their heyday, they were making a piddling 125-130 hp. Even with electronic ignition control.

The QR that replaced the SR was a complete piece of crap when it came out (got better later on), but the 4B11 is actually a pretty good motor.

Evo will live on for at least one more year.
Rumors of the Evos demise have been circulating for several years, and seemed to be confirmed with news out of Japan in late March.Amanda Savercool at Mitsubishi’s US operations has denied that story and confirmed that the Evo will continue to evolve for at least one more year.

“At least for here in the U.S., Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) is committed to introducing the 2015 model year Lancer Evolution,” she told AutoGuide.com. “Production of North American-specification Lancer Evolution models for the 2015 model year will commence in July 2014.”
AutoGuide

That just stays the execution. If there's no difference in the models though other than year does it actually make it even worthwhile?

That just stays the execution. If there's no difference in the models though other than year does it actually make it even worthwhile?
Not really, but has been any changes to the Evo X in the last 7-8 years it has been in production ( other then special editions model)?

I'm surprised it's been that long since the Evo X came out seeing as in the past the lancer evos lasted around two years then they evolved (see what I did there? :sly:) in to the next Evo.

I hope Mitsubishi has some good plans for the Evo otherwise the new Impreza STI is going to blitz it.

That's bad. What a shame. Looks like I'll never see any more new Lancer Evolutions by the streets that are closer to where I live.

Everyone's jumping to conclusions, and I'm just here expecting a Mitsubishi version of this:

01-2014-nissan-juke-nismo-rs-la-1.jpg

Because that's totally okay with me...

I'm no longer interested in Mitsubishi, ever since the late '00s, their cars (apart from the Evo) have been very boring IMO, this new Mitsubishi is not one that I like, R.I.P. Evo you will be missed.

The Evolution name was never limited to just the Lancer, it has been applied to some of Mitsubishi's off road race cars and their street homologation versions.

mitsubishi-pajero-evolution-12.jpg

Evolution itself isn't dead, especially if they'll apply it to another vehicle, it's just the Lancer version is.

If they manage to keep the spirit of older rally car based Evolutions, it might interest me, but I think it will be another "performance, only on tarmac" type of a car.

Last edited:
The Evolution name was never limited to just the Lancer, it has been applied to some of Mitsubishi's off road race cars and their street homologation versions.

mitsubishi-pajero-evolution-12.jpg

Evolution itself isn't dead, especially if they'll apply it to another vehicle, it's just the Lancer version is.
That's an awesome machine, I'd prefer if they didn't use the Evo name anymore though as I doubt they'll make another car to live up to the legacy of the name.

Right, I don't care anymore. With the Evo X, they've just created a conventional and uninteresting family car, barely different from its regular Lancer counterpart. It was an awesome series, just everything after the Evo VI went downhill. It went from "total evolution" to "to three new aero parts." But yeah, as @xZAMGMarmite stated as well, I will miss Impreza/Evo battles.

http://www.carbuzz.com/m/Article.aspx?Id=24509

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Final Edition.
It says Concept not Edition.

You know, they could at least update the headlights and taillights and also the other exterior but nooo...
That would cost them alot of money to produce new parts for the car. They are only going to make a few hundred of this Final "Edition", the cost of the new parts would be to much for that few number of cars.

It's not even that special. All it has is a few HKS parts on it, which you can buy yourself from HKS. They should have done this years ago( in the US at least) give a factory tuned version of the Evo.

The Evo died with the conclusion of the 9.

The X was a overweight boring pig that is indistinguishable from a regular lancer..

It really did become a tedious looking thing, the total lack of a facelift to give it some visual interest in the last 7 years says it all.

Latest Posts

Back