[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,915 comments
#Ifoundquotebutton
You should read about the 1987 Subaru XT/Alcyone (predecessor of the SVX/Alcyone found in the game). That had electronic AWD and adjustable suspension.
Ahh indeed, the Subaru Alcyone also has interesting features. Thanks, I didn't know about its specifics. But I haven't seen anything about electronic traction control. On the other hand, for the suspension, it's equipped with Citroën's hydropneumatic system, a little modified if I've understood correctly. But this system, while it does allow you to vary the ride height (and having owned a Xantia, I can tell you that it's only in the normal position that it's really drivable) and to maintain a constant ride height regardless of the load on board, isn't really an active system. Unless, but the article I read doesn't detail it, it's taken from the Xantia's "Activa" system, which adjusts the hardness of the suspension in real time. I'll try to find out more.

So you don't consider the Skyline to be a luxury and/or high-end car?
Well, in Japan it's certainly considered a top-of-the-range car. But what I mean is, when you see a car coming to Europe at around 40,000€ that offers performance close to or even equivalent to cars costing 150-200,000€. A car that in Europe was just seen as a cool little coupe (or a cool sedan for 4-door models) by the vast majority of the uninitiated. It was pretty cheap. (For people with that budget, of course. It's all relative.)

Supposedly, the R34 had a more advanced "Pro" version of ATTESA that also allowed left/right torque transfer at the rear wheels, like the Evo GSR IV+'s Active Yaw Controller. The game doesn't allow an AYC on the R34 though. so I'm guessing that part isn't modeled.
I'm not sure if there's a "pro" version, it seems to me that the ATTESA, with only one S (Sorry for the mistake.), also incorporates this function. That's what I meant by "distribute the power to the wheels that need it most." But it's possible that it's only from the R34 onwards, but not for sure.

As for the game, I'd say that there seems to be a function integrated into the basic Skyline, which explains why it's not possible to fit one. (This is a guess, nothing verified.) This is what makes the Skyline so easy to drive, I think, but I'm afraid I'm talking nonsense based on my obviously ill-founded feelings.

I tried to run the game today with ePSX (V2.05) on my PC. (crappy laptop)(Acer Aspire 3 A315-34-P4Q6)

It stays on a black screen then crashes after 15 seconds.

Does the game require a specific emulator or configuration? Does anyone have a better one?

If not, I'll have to wait until I can burn it to CD and use the swap technique on my PSOne.

Last edited:
I tried to run the game today with ePSX (V2.05) on my PC. (crappy laptop)(Acer Aspire 3 A315-34-P4Q6)

It stays on a black screen then crashes after 15 seconds.

Does the game require a specific emulator or configuration? Does anyone have a better one?

If not, I'll have to wait until I can burn it to CD and use the swap technique on my PSOne.
Check out the emulator clocking, I had mine set on no integer so it kept crashing until I looked it up 👍

And yes, this mod is really, really cool!!

Last edited:
I've not posted any progress in a while, so here's something I've been working on for a bit - an overhaul of the Vipers in GT2, because the more I looked at them, the more they seemed off[...]

[...]Since the Vipers in GT2 already had a lot of 1997 details, I also went the other way with them and removed all of the 1999 changes, and split them off into independent cars[...]

Dodge Viper like in GT1? Dodge Viper like in GT2? Why not both? (or a more Latin-American "as duas coisas").

Love it.

@Johnny Caisse : Thanks, but I'm not sure which setting you mean? I just found "Overclocking CPU" which had no setting defined. I set it to 1X. Otherwise I don't know where it's set. Can you please explain where it is ?

Edit: That's it and it's ok. The game is on. Thank you very much.

@2lazydontcare : Thank's 2lazydontcare, you're right. It's called E-TS PRO.

Edit: I think you meant the "4WD on demand" system? I've just come to see more details, and if that's what it is, then it's effectively a transmission that can be modified at the touch of a button. The difference is that it's an ON/OFF system and not really an active system. But it's also a cool option in the '80s.

It arrived in 85 (if I'm not mistaken.) before Nissan's ATTESA, which arrived in 1987 on the "Bluebird RNU12".

Last edited:
Is it possible (again, this is a technical question, not really a request to modify the game) to do another VMAX test by coding just a 10 or 20 KM long straight line ?
Actually, PD themselves made a license track sort of what you're describing in development. It's left over in one of the demos and is called "L_test_j". It's an extremely long straight line with a massive jump in the middle of it.
But i guess they decided against using it in the end.

There's also a finite amount of space they can build a track on, both for the minimap graphics window, and in terms of internal units. You may have noticed if you've gone out of a track like Laguna Seca or Motorsport Land that when you get far enough, you start seeing clones of bits of the track at repeat intervals. I believe it happens because of a unit... overflow, sort of how there are "universes" in Super Mario 64 levels (look it up if you're curious, it's super interesting).
I believe that limitation would prevent making tracks more than a few kilometers long, even if it used a diagonal approach to maximize the length.

Screenshots of the track in the spoiler
Starting point.
1716678453693.png

The Jump
1716678571832.png

1716678607160.png

End point
1716678490303.png

Last edited:
Ahh cool I didn't know, thanks for the info ! (I'll check out Mario 64 too.) Is that a GT2 demo ?

Too bad they didn't use it. It would have been nice as a VMAX test. I guess the jump is there to avoid ending up on the original track ? (Although on the second screenshot, it looks like you're below ground level, but maybe that's just an impression ?) Do you think it's been removed from the final version ? Would it be accessible by leaving the circuit ?

From where the point is on the first screenshot, the limits look pretty big all the same. But maybe they had the terrain inconsistency concerns you're talking about on this track ?

In any case, if it had been a test license, we could have had just one car and no possible adjustments, which would have limited the interest a little.

Good night everyone. :)

Last edited:
There is no under / over track lol. The minimap defaults to the first map in the folder (Autumn Ring 2player's) when there are none to use for the current track.
It's the retail / final game, but i ported the track into it for testing.
I'm on top of the ramp from the second image, on the 3rd image.
I think the distance limit is a physical limit with the file format. I'm talking in hypothetics here, but cars do have maximum coordinates for their vertices, because the unit system is limited. I'm fairly sure it's the same for tracks, so the imprecision pez2k mentioned might not even get to happen before an actual file limitation does.
Also yeah, this track only has a single spawn point, like most license tracks.

Oh, right, it's a totally independent track from Autumn ring, but since they didn't provide a minimap, the game takes one "by default". Is that right ?

As for the rest, I didn't understand everything precisely, but I think I got the general idea. If you go too far = no good !

But have you been able to test it in game ? Did you have any problems ?

I think you meant the "4WD on demand" system? I've just come to see more details, and if that's what it is, then it's effectively a transmission that can be modified at the touch of a button. The difference is that it's an ON/OFF system and not really an active system. But it's also a cool option in the '80s.
That was on the 85-87 XT's (and apparently, an option on some later 4 cyl XT's in America). I was talking about the full time system the XT/XT6 used from 87 (and a half?) - 91.

Last edited:
If i may make a car suggestion, could you do a model of the Dodge Stealth? The ES model could mirror the SL model 3000gt and the R/T model mirroring the twin turbo model. One could go as far as to making the racing modifications look like the Boris Said III/ Peter Cunningham Model

I seen the preview for the next update, can't wait to play with the group b rally cars

If i may make a car suggestion, could you do a model of the Dodge Stealth?
I seen the preview for the next update, can't wait to play with the group b rally cars

I'm not an artist and I can't model cars. Everything added to this mod is based on content created by Polyphony that was either cut or not finished.

I haven't changed anything to do with either of the two Group B cars, they'll be the same to drive as they always were.

If i may make a car suggestion, could you do a model of the Dodge Stealth? The ES model could mirror the SL model 3000gt and the R/T model mirroring the twin turbo model. One could go as far as to making the racing modifications look like the Boris Said III/ Peter Cunningham Model

I believe you're thinking of GT2 A Spec Project v1.2. A lot of interesting things going on there for sure.

I'm not an artist and I can't model cars. Everything added to this mod is based on content created by Polyphony that was either cut or not finished.

I haven't changed anything to do with either of the two Group B cars, they'll be the same to drive as they always were.
Why don't you become an artist then? You have the potential haha

I've been considering learning GT modding myself as I recently got some ideas for a GT mod. Would it be okay if (with proper credit of course) I used GT2 Plus as a base for my own mod?

I've been considering learning GT modding myself as I recently got some ideas for a GT mod. Would it be okay if (with proper credit of course) I used GT2 Plus as a base for my own mod?

Sure, just two requests: if it gets a public release, please distribute it as a patch that applies on top of a patched GT2+ disc so that the patch includes only your changes and not all of GT2+ too, and if possible try to avoid releasing anything that's just 'GT2+ with one added change', as too many tiny spinoffs might make it confusing for players to figure out which patches they need. It sounds like you have plans for more than that already though, and all of that only matters if you plan to release a version of your mod, for personal use you can do whatever you want of course.

There are a few things worth considering too if you plan to build on top of GT2+, first and foremost that there's not really any space left for new content as the mod is pushing up against the maximum allocated memory in a few places. If you plan to change any of the car parts / physics data, it might be worth changing the savegame ID so that players don't break their saves by trying to load GT2+ saves on your mod or vice-versa. Also, there are 12 total GT2+ discs (2 discs * 3 regions * 2 versions of the mod each release) so you might need to pick a specific one to build upon to start with. Finally, you might find it useful to look at the Github repo for the mod, which includes each change individually to make it clear how they work.

Sure, just two requests: if it gets a public release, please distribute it as a patch that applies on top of a patched GT2+ disc so that the patch includes only your changes and not all of GT2+ too, and if possible try to avoid releasing anything that's just 'GT2+ with one added change', as too many tiny spinoffs might make it confusing for players to figure out which patches they need. It sounds like you have plans for more than that already though, and all of that only matters if you plan to release a version of your mod, for personal use you can do whatever you want of course.

There are a few things worth considering too if you plan to build on top of GT2+, first and foremost that there's not really any space left for new content as the mod is pushing up against the maximum allocated memory in a few places. If you plan to change any of the car parts / physics data, it might be worth changing the savegame ID so that players don't break their saves by trying to load GT2+ saves on your mod or vice-versa. Also, there are 12 total GT2+ discs (2 discs * 3 regions * 2 versions of the mod each release) so you might need to pick a specific one to build upon to start with. Finally, you might find it useful to look at the Github repo for the mod, which includes each change individually to make it clear how they work.
While it's all hypothetical at this point (I still need to learn how to make and change things), I'd be using NTSC version 1.2 as a base. And what I'd have in mind would not be just "GT2 Plus a few extra things". What I had in mind entailed actually trimming and streamlining the car list (I have a list of several dozen vehicles I'd plan to remove). I wanted to use GT2 Plus as a base mainly for the bug and vehicle fixes. Regardless, if I were to use GT2 Plus as a base, would there be any content from your mod that you'd prefer I'd not include for any specific reason? For instance, the Silvia and Chaser LM ports.

Regardless, if I were to use GT2 Plus as a base, would there be any content from your mod that you'd prefer I'd not include for any specific reason? For instance, the Silvia and Chaser LM ports.

Nope, it's all fair game. The only thing I'd ask to avoid would be anything in the repo that hasn't been in a release yet (i.e. is dated after the point beta 7 came out), because there's a good chance those changes aren't finished yet and might have issues. I assume though that you'll be starting by extracting the files from a beta 7 disc and making your edits from there rather than the very complex and time-consuming process of building everything from scratch from the repo files, in which case it's something of a moot point.

Something I wonder for my mod is if I could build it on top of GT2+ Light? Since there are less changes, I think that could work as a blueprint.

Something I wonder for my mod is if I could build it on top of GT2+ Light? Since there are less changes, I think that could work as a blueprint.

That should be fine, same conditions as above basically - make something cool, and if released please distribute it as a patch to a GT2+ disc.

I'll also clarify here for the benefit of anyone else who is interested in using GT2+ resources - non-commercial use only please, I'd rather people didn't try to make money from my work (and I suspect many of the other contributors wouldn't be pleased either). This appears to have been a point of confusion recently so it's worth me saying it explicitly.

Some question and suggestion:

1. Are you planning to "fix" the GT40 road car? I mean is classified as a race car but it should be road car.
  2. Is the Fiat Cinquecento Sporting suppose to have that short gear ratios? It should share the same gear ratios from the Seicento Sporting.
  3. In the one-make "Altezza Cup" the Altezza AS200 doesn't seem to appear at the pools of the oppenet cars (PAL version tested); i remember in the NTSC-J it appear at the opponenet car.
  4. The Daihatsu Mira TX '98 as an incorrect aspiration, the engine which is a "EF-VE", should be naturally-aspirated but in the game it is a turbo-engine.

1. Are you planning to "fix" the GT40 road car? I mean is classified as a race car but it should be road car.
  2. Is the Fiat Cinquecento Sporting suppose to have that short gear ratios? It should share the same gear ratios from the Seicento Sporting.
  3. In the one-make "Altezza Cup" the Altezza AS200 doesn't seem to appear at the pools of the oppenet cars (PAL version tested); i remember in the NTSC-J it appear at the opponenet car.
  4. The Daihatsu Mira TX '98 as an incorrect aspiration, the engine which is a "EF-VE", should be naturally-aspirated but in the game it is a turbo-engine.

The GT40 is a race car, the roadgoing version was the Mk III that isn't in GT2. I may change its default tyre compound from medium slicks to road tyres though, as it would fix the Rome Historic opponent too (it's on slicks unlike everything else).

It looks like the Cinquecento transmission was accidentally copied from the Suzuki Cervo Mode, I'll add it to the to-do list.

The Altezza AS200 is an opponent in that event in all versions of the game, it's just region blocked in PAL. I've already removed that block, but I'll check if it's being overridden by another change.

The Mira TX has already been changed to N/A, it's in the changelog in the first post.

The GT40 is a race car, the roadgoing version was the Mk III that isn't in GT2. I may change its default tyre compound from medium slicks to road tyres though, as it would fix the Rome Historic opponent too (it's on slicks unlike everything else).

It looks like the Cinquecento transmission was accidentally copied from the Suzuki Cervo Mode, I'll add it to the to-do list.

The Altezza AS200 is an opponent in that event in all versions of the game, it's just region blocked in PAL. I've already removed that block, but I'll check if it's being overridden by another change.

The Mira TX has already been changed to N/A, it's in the changelog in the first post.
Ok, i double-checked about the Altezza AS200 opponent, it doesn't appear at all in your mod. (PAL version checked with all languages chosen)

The Mira TX is still classified as a turbo car. (PAL version checked with all languages chosen)

Also, there are a lot of cars (like maybe 20?) who have the same problem as the Viper that have their peak power rpm right when they hit the revlimit examples are the Aston V8 vantage and MR2 GT-S '98 which their power output incorrect (they have 20-30 more HP).

Maybe when i have the full list of the same with the problem i said above, i will tell you; because like i said there are a lot.

Ok, i double-checked about the Altezza AS200 opponent, it doesn't appear at all in your mod. (PAL version checked with all languages chosen)

The Mira TX is still classified as a turbo car. (PAL version checked with all languages chosen)

Also, there are a lot of cars (like maybe 20?) who have the same problem as the Viper that have their peak power rpm right when they hit the revlimit examples are the Aston V8 vantage and MR2 GT-S '98 which their power output incorrect (they have 20-30 more HP).

Maybe when i have the full list of the same with the problem i said above, i will tell you; because like i said there are a lot.

Spotted the issue with the Mira - the engine is marked as NA and has a new torque curve to get the right figures for the N/A engine, but I haven't removed the stock turbo part. Easy fix though.

I think the issue with the MR2 and Vantage is that their redline and max RPM are set to the same value, so the game stretches the curve another 500rpm and thus the peak power is too high. I'll probably just dump a list of all cars with the same dodgy setting and go through them all at some point.

how i change AI difficulty? it is possible?

cuz they are very agressive doing the turns and faster than me , and i not see big difference racing with a Skyline with 301hp against a Vitz\same class car (**** cars) and i win with a 0.700\0.800 time difference , its unrealistic tbh.

Spotted the issue with the Mira - the engine is marked as NA and has a new torque curve to get the right figures for the N/A engine, but I haven't removed the stock turbo part. Easy fix though.

I think the issue with the MR2 and Vantage is that their redline and max RPM are set to the same value, so the game stretches the curve another 500rpm and thus the peak power is too high. I'll probably just dump a list of all cars with the same dodgy setting and go through them all at some point.
I've also noticed that in the Midfield Super License test the GT500 Skyline has peak power well before redline. Redline is marked around 8000 but peak power seems to be around 7500.

I've also noticed that in the Midfield Super License test the GT500 Skyline has peak power well before redline. Redline is marked around 8000 but peak power seems to be around 7500.
Redline =/= peak power/shift point.

Each engine is unique, and it's quite common for turbocharged cars to allow early shifting due to reaching peak horsepower early.

Same thing with the Impreza Rally car.

Last edited:
how i change AI difficulty? it is possible?

cuz they are very agressive doing the turns and faster than me , and i not see big difference racing with a Skyline with 301hp against a Vitz\same class car (**** cars) and i win with a 0.700\0.800 time difference , its unrealistic tbh.

There isn't a difficulty setting in GT2, and it has less driver assists than modern games. The license tests are a good way to learn how to be faster though, they're intended as a way to teach players how the game wants to be played. If you're upgrading your cars, it's also worth making sure you have handling upgrades like tyres, suspension, and weight reduction. The opponent cars are tuned too, the Vitz in the Japanese Nationals for example has an extra 40hp and Sports tyres, so has great handling. They're not as slow as you'd expect.

If you're winning races then you're already doing well, the start of the game isn't easy. You'll get faster over time, and find which cars you're most comfortable with, and the game should get much less difficult.

That's completely normal, the issue I was discussing is sort of the reverse of that, where the car effectively doesn't have a redline because it's set so high.

I don't know much on the subject, but I did just get to see what is claimed to be a Mk II GT40 Road Car yesterday, one of ~30 made. I assumed this (or something similar) is what the car in GT2 was based on.

1000002336.jpg

1000001794.jpg

There's also this Mk I "semi-road car"
1000001791.jpg

1000002390.jpg

Back