Monica 590 1973

Sick_Cylinder
Monica_590__1973__V8__Front.jpg

I remember reading about this car when it was released in 1973 - I think it was in a car spotters guide that I had. I don't know too much about it other than it was a luxurious French, four seater grand touring car fitted with a Chrysler 5.9 litre V8 and 5 speed ZF gearbox. The Monica 560 was also Chrysler powered and the cars were named after the wife of the owner of the car company. Only 30 cars were produced before the company folded due to the 1973 oil crisis.

I found this detail on the internet: The 590 is a motor car from Monica, with rear wheel drive, a front positioned engine and a 4 door saloon (sedan) body style. Power is produced by an overhead valve, 5.9 litre naturally aspirated 8 cylinder motor, with 2 valves per cylinder that produces power and torque figures of 310 bhp (314 PS/231 kW) at 5400 rpm and 450 N·m (332 lb·ft/45.9 kgm) at 3800 rpm respectively. Power is supplied to the wheels through a 5 speed manual transmission. The quoted weight at the kerb is 1996 kg. Maximum speed stated is 240 km/h or 149 mph.

monica_590 rear.jpg

Luxurious interior featuring the finest materials including walnut veneer dashboard and leather seats.

Monica-590 dashboard.jpg

Nice video clip featuring the Monica 560 prototype - apologies that it is not in English.

Yes - The interior is very similar to a contemporary Bristol or Facel Vega and it has the same engine - I imagine it would be similar to drive, just clothed in a sleeker, more stylish body.

Back