2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 1,837 comments
Cancel trump and Biden
They are way too old in their head, it is not doing this country any favor by keeping them around...

Let them go sail into the sunset...
Sometimes we just gotta be strong and rip the band aid off

These two deserves their retirement a long while ago, let them go.

We need new bloods.

Are we such an idiotic country we can't find anyone competent enough?

The Democrats really need to do something. Biden lost his fire and looked and acted like a feeble old man with memory issues again. Trump is clearly delusional and probably borderline manic. We really need not have to have men with cognitive issues trying to run the country. Biden's cognitive impairment is probably less detrimental though, but still not ideal.

I'm not a Democrat and I disagree with some of the stuff she's done, but overall I think she's been a net positive for the state. She's attracted new automotive businesses, spent money on education, and worked to protect the Great Lakes. She fumbled the COVID restrictions, though, and not because she shut down businesses, but rather skirted her own restrictions and traveled when she told the rest of the state not to. It was a bad look, but not really all that detrimental. She also didn't handle our auto insurance reform very well (although that band-aid needed to be ripped off) and was iffy on the budget negotiations. But I think getting new businesses, spending on education, and water protection overshadow that. She's also pushed for green energy, although has OK'ed some stupid stuff like in road charging for EVs that will be costly to maintain on out already terrible roads.

Would she be the perfect president? No, I don't think so, but would I vote for her? Probably. I think she would certainly be better than Biden or Harris.
Therein lies the problem of both parties. They feel the incumbent is always the best option and can't force him to bow out. Democrats should have gone with someone younger and with more experience for this election. The Republicans are spineless cowards and eat their own words so much I'm surprised they can even talk coherently these days.

I can see despairing left-leaning voters in swing states now being motivated to stay home in droves, and the reverse happening on the right.

For the sake of America (and the rest of the planet), Joe needs to step aside, and whip the Dems into getting behind a single successor with strong oratorial skills, and do it fast. There is one goal, and one goal only. Protect us from Trump.

But they'll worry about policy principles, policies which won't matter once the MAGA Christo-Fascists gain control.

Im not registered for either party. Also, i could not care less about last night. Cnn’s a joke anymore. Im still voting D all the way down the ballot because the republicans are the party of trash human sociopathic npd’s.

Personally, ham sandwich > republicans

Last edited:
One for the Brits of a certain age:
mqdefault.jpg

Trump is a terrible candidate, unelectable, but his supporters stick by him.

Biden is a better candidate, but his supporters fall off so easily.

It has to do with the nature of authoritarianism. Non-authoritarians don't support leaders in the same way. It's one of the upper hands the authoritarians have. Sometimes I wish the rest of us wouldn't play straight into it so much.

Once there was too much of a push to the extreme fringes, both parties lost their way. The Republicans failed to repel it and now are the extreme party. The Democrats almost have distanced themselves from the fringes, but then they decided to follow decorum and not think about what is best for the future and stumbled into an undesirable short-term plan that could kill them long-term. The Republicans already are on that track.

Therein lies the problem of both parties. They feel the incumbent is always the best option and can't force him to bow out. Democrats should have gone with someone younger and with more experience for this election. The Republicans are spineless cowards and eat their own words so much I'm surprised they can even talk coherently these days.
If the Democrats go with someone younger and more "with it" they should easily walk away with the election. I think moderates and independents are struggling because they see Biden as a feeble old man who doesn't know where he is. Trump is a loud mouth buffoon, but he at least gives the illusion he is mentally sound (he isn't) and that he's not an old man (he is).

I don't understand how Democrats don't see this. They have a huge amount of data at their disposal and their focus groups must be telling them something. It's almost like they hope to win because more people vote against Trump instead of putting a candidate out there that people will vote for. Hell, Gavin Newsom would work or Dean Phillips. Put a younger, more mentally sound candidate out there and you'll instantly pick up a decent chunk of independent voters.

All this makes me miss Obama who was a great speaker, young, energetic, and seemed presidential. Even Bush-the-Younger wasn't old and while he talked with that Texas drawl and said some stupid things, he didn't come across as stupid or anything (no matter how much some people say he was).

The Democrats really need to do something. Biden lost his fire and looked and acted like a feeble old man with memory issues again. Trump is clearly delusional and probably borderline manic. We really need not have to have men with cognitive issues trying to run the country. Biden's cognitive impairment is probably less detrimental though, but still not ideal.

I'm not a Democrat and I disagree with some of the stuff she's done, but overall I think she's been a net positive for the state. She's attracted new automotive businesses, spent money on education, and worked to protect the Great Lakes. She fumbled the COVID restrictions, though, and not because she shut down businesses, but rather skirted her own restrictions and traveled when she told the rest of the state not to. It was a bad look, but not really all that detrimental. She also didn't handle our auto insurance reform very well (although that band-aid needed to be ripped off) and was iffy on the budget negotiations. But I think getting new businesses, spending on education, and water protection overshadow that. She's also pushed for green energy, although has OK'ed some stupid stuff like in road charging for EVs that will be costly to maintain on out already terrible roads.

Would she be the perfect president? No, I don't think so, but would I vote for her? Probably. I think she would certainly be better than Biden or Harris.
Good to know. I immediately saw people hyping her & stating they'd back her without a second thought if she ran. But, I also want to know the opinion of someone with actual experience under her time as a political leader.

The only other name I saw was Newsom, but I think it's too early & too late for basically the same reason. Too early in that Newsom being the Californian governor, I predict Republicans would run on everything bad about California being extended to the country as a whole & I wouldn't be surprised if Dem voters in other parts of the country may have the perception that California in a sense, is too different from the rest of the country & feel Newsom just doesn't relate to them. So, Dems would need time to Newsom to sell himself to the American public as a viable candidate who can find ways to reassure the rest of the country he's not just a Coastal Elite or something. And obviously with months to go, it's too late to try that, imo.

Which leads me back to wondering about Whitmer b/c people seem confident the Dems could insert her to keep the Dem voters on board & also immediately win the undecided concerned with Biden's age or Israel/Palestine conflict handling.

The argument to vote for Biden gets weaker every day.

I already decided I wouldn't vote for him based purely on the unabashed support for war crimes in Gaza. Unlike Biden, I have a red line, and he's crossed it and shows no signs of turning back.

There is the argument to be made (and the main argument from Dems) that voting for Biden is the only way to stop Trump, who will be worse. That strategy is a spiral towards terrible candidates. If you always vote for the lesser of two evils, eventually your choices are always evil.

I would hate for Trump to win, but at this point, I'm thinking further ahead. If Trump wins it's because the Democratic party failed to put up a competent fight. I don't feel responsible for that. I'm going to vote for a candidate I won't feel ashamed for supporting. Jill Stein isn't perfect but as far as I know she hasn't supported genocide. Maybe by voting third party, in some small way it will make Democrats consider their nominee more carefully. Maybe not.

It all feels so hopeless. But I'm not going to blame myself for trying to get something better. I'd have more guilt if I voted for Biden.

I already decided I wouldn't vote for him based purely on the unabashed support for war crimes in Gaza. Unlike Biden, I have a red line, and he's crossed it and shows no signs of turning back.

There is the argument to be made (and the main argument from Dems) that voting for Biden is the only way to stop Trump, who will be worse. That strategy is a spiral towards terrible candidates. If you always vote for the lesser of two evils, eventually your choices are always evil.

I would hate for Trump to win, but at this point, I'm thinking further ahead. If Trump wins it's because the Democratic party failed to put up a competent fight. I don't feel responsible for that. I'm going to vote for a candidate I won't feel ashamed for supporting. Jill Stein isn't perfect but as far as I know she hasn't supported genocide. Maybe by voting third party, in some small way it will make Democrats consider their nominee more carefully. Maybe not.

It all feels so hopeless. But I'm not going to blame myself for trying to get something better. I'd have more guilt if I voted for Biden.
The problem with this stance is that by not voting for Biden, you are essentially conceding the destruction of Gaza. Biden is at least, attempting to do something. Trump, in the very debate last night, said Israel needs to finish the job & then referred to Biden as a Palestinian like a slur.

The time to vote third party was the last election, which I did. The spiraling towards terrible candidates is already here, though. Again, in the debate last night, voting for Jill Stein is exactly what Trump wants you to do.
And I like — I like her also. Jill Stein. I like her very much. You know why? She takes 100% from [Biden]. [West] takes 100%. Kennedy’s probably 50/50, but he’s a fake.

If you're concerned for Gaza & wanting to think further ahead, then you should vote for Biden as much as you don't want to b/c there's a real threat that there won't be a Gaza left for the next Democrat candidate to stand for. It sucks, but those are the cards dealt.

Get Gavin in there now. As a resident of CA, I find him somewhat meh, but it's hard for me to see anyone else having enough recognition to get the job done in such a short span. Gretchen Whitmer as VP to shore up the rust belt.

It's gotta happen or Trump is taking this.

Last edited:

If you contribute to the fascist rise of authoritarianism, you should absolutely feel responsible and guilty.

1930’s Germany says; smarten up

I would hate for Trump to win, but at this point, I'm thinking further ahead.

No, I don't think you are.

If Trump wins it's because the Democratic party failed to put up a competent fight.
It's not the only possible reason, and there doesn't have to just be one reason. One reason can be that people saw something... like whether someone is a good speaker or is in peak health... and decided that these things matter more than stopping the fall of the country.
I don't feel responsible for that. I'm going to vote for a candidate I won't feel ashamed for supporting. Jill Stein isn't perfect but as far as I know she hasn't supported genocide. Maybe by voting third party, in some small way it will make Democrats consider their nominee more carefully. Maybe not.

It's fine as long as your reasons for voting Jill are very strong. If you're voting Jill in any part because Biden didn't come out strong in the debate last night, I think you might ultimately feel guilty for that if Trump wins. If anyone on this board is changing your vote because of last night, I think you need to take a look in the mirror.

This is not a joke. You're worried about supporting someone who has taken a softer stance on Israel than you do, but Estonia is preparing for a Russian invasion if Trump wins, and Ukraine is screwed. People are dying in THIS COUTNRY still, or are deeply fearful, because of Trump's previous term. A future one promises to be orders of magnitude worse. People will die, maybe in your neighborhood, needlessly if Trump wins. Maybe because they got pregnant, or maybe for another reason. If you need to vote for Jill, you go right ahead. But it should be a weighty decision.

I honestly don't understand how people can flip flop on an issue with such gravity over a portion of a debate. It is an authoritarian advantage that their opposition refuses to galvanize.

The way this works is that once Trump seizes control and America fails, he literally needs to be fought in order for the country to be taken back. In favor of who? Nothing. Nobody. Just fought. Not because there is a better candidate or because there is some other leader that is better... in favor of who knows what, in favor of no one, in favor of the unknown future. In just a few short months, the goal shifts from "elect the other guy" to "just stop Trump". It'll be too late though.

Last edited:
Like he did last time he was President... oh wait, he didn't. More like completely opposite.
Bruh, to this very minute, he continues to argue that he's still the rightful President & promises to pardon everyone who went to the Capitol to overturn the election to him. He has dozens of cases that focused specifically on wanting to overturn the election to seize control back.

Last edited:
Like he did last time he was President... oh wait, he didn't. More like completely opposite.
Because last time was a complete surprise and still-sane people were in the other parts of the government to put a check on his power. Now? Those people are gone due to the fanatical base of his pushing them out (for fear of their lives or fear of having no impact). Couple that with infighting by the Democrats and there is a very real possibility that Republicans sweep the White House and both house-majorities.

The problem with this stance is that by not voting for Biden, you are essentially conceding the destruction of Gaza. Biden is at least, attempting to do something. Trump, in the very debate last night, said Israel needs to finish the job & then referred to Biden as a Palestinian like a slur.

The time to vote third party was the last election, which I did. The spiraling towards terrible candidates is already here, though. Again, in the debate last night, voting for Jill Stein is exactly what Trump wants you to do.

If you're concerned for Gaza & wanting to think further ahead, then you should vote for Biden as much as you don't want to b/c there's a real threat that there won't be a Gaza left for the next Democrat candidate to stand for. It sucks, but those are the cards dealt.
Biden isn't doing anything to stop it. He claims to, but he's actively funding and sending weapons to the military carrying out the destruction.

I'm aware that a Trump victory is also bad for Gaza. It's like voting for a 10 ton bomb or a 20 ton bomb. If either of these candidates win, it's devastating. Can we start blaming the people who are actually supporting people like Trump? I know it's not practical to win them over, but please don't lose sight of the fact that half this country is actively working towards putting sociopathy in the white house?

In the trolley problem, people always talk about the culpability of the person at the switch who is poweless to prevent the deaths. How about we blame the person who tied people to the travks and sent the trolley careening towards them?

Listen, I wanted to vote for Biden. I've never liked him, but I voted for him in 2020 because I knew Trump would be worse. I was willing to overlook nearly every flaw Biden has and vote for him wholeheartedly just to keep Trump out. I was desperate to vote for him. My only bar was that he wasn't a genocidal murderer. That he didn't support and then deny war crimes. That his administration didn't question the authority of the international justice community, and deny the humanity of millions of people.

It was a low bar, but somehow he sank lower.

Biden was never the only option to defeat Trump. People like me tried to get someone else, someone not only more ethical with regards to Palestine, etc. but also more capable. Biden's declining faculties have not been a secret. If liberals won't forgive me for witholding my vote for Biden, I will not forgive them for choosing him as a candidate. If Biden loses, please do not tell me that the people who voted for him in the primaries, who refused in this election to even run a proper primary with debates, etc., who rejected the idea that any other candidate was capable of beating Trump, bear no responsibility. They bet on a losing horse. They cannot blame everyone else for their mistake.

I live in MA by the way. If my voting third party causes Trump to win my state, then my god, what a hopeless candidate Biden must have been.

Can we start blaming the people who are actually supporting people like Trump?

If Biden loses, please do not tell me that the people who voted for him in the primaries, who refused in this election to even run a proper primary with debates, etc., who rejected the idea that any other candidate was capable of beating Trump, bear no responsibility. They bet on a losing horse. They cannot blame everyone else for their mistake.
??? These two seem at odds with each other do they not? Blame democrats for Trump because Biden had a bad debate showing later on?

I live in MA by the way. If my voting third party causes Trump to win my state, then my god, what a hopeless candidate Biden must have been.
Honestly if Biden cannot beat Trump, he's a hopeless candidate. But part of the reason that he's struggling to beat trump is that authoritarians rally despite flaws (many, many flaws that go directly against their core values), and everyone else simply doesn't. They pick one issue, like Israel, or being old, and die on it.

Have a little humility with the Israel issue. We don't know literally everything about the power dynamics in that region. I do understand and share your frustration with the US handling of Israel. But at least it's not a total strikeout with Biden. He's at least on the right side of Russia. Biden has backed off support of Israel in part because of vocal opposition like yourself. But it's predicated on the idea that he can still earn their support.

You voted how you did in the primary, other people voted how they did. Biden was the result. The question is not what should we have done then but what to do now.

Last edited:
You're familiar with January 6th are you not?
I am and its beyond my understanding why its matter at all. You guys had real BLM riots same year, yet bunch of rednecks somewhat peacefully protesting in Capitol is coup.

Like, Trump is horrible person, hypocrite and can't effectively rule the country, but he isn't capable to overthrown US government.

You're familiar with January 6th are you not?
I always find it particularly amusing when Jan 6 is brought up. It's that shiny red object that's always pointed to. "He's a threat to democracy." "He tried to overthrow government." "That kind of political violence is unthinkable." The critical thing in this is both conservatives and liberals alike condemned the violence.

Donald Trump finished his speech that day away from the Capitol to "assemble peacefully and patriotically." Donald Trump even told everyone to go home. He didn't open up a rioter bail fund like Harris did during the months of rioting throughout the country. He didn't say it was "fiery but mostly peaceful protests" like many commentators did. He didn't ignore a blatant violent mob that was outside the White House and cheer when Secret Service moved him to the Bunker over security concerns.

The only reason liberals point to January 6th is because it was the clear instance of civil unrest and violence from the right. And need i mention the violence from Hamas-niks celebrating terrorists that have infested the Democrats, or mention the calls for violence against Supreme Court Justices when things didn't go your way. Violence and riots are the language of the deranged left. And it's never condemned or punished.

The real threat to democracy is the embrace of fascistic weaponizations of the various levers of government. You won't say it's a threat to democracy when the FBI and CIA are weaponized to spy on American citizens. You won't say it's a threat to democracy to weaponize the judicial system to indict, convict, and imprison American citizens for fabricated crimes. You won't say it's a threat to democracy when the IRS is weaponized against conservative groups at the behest of Obama (and was successfully sued because of it). You love tyranny and fascism until it comes for you. The Left only desires power. They don't have principles. They don't value people's rights. They see them as an impediment to their crusade for power. It's why you try to silence dissent. It's why you ignore Constitutional Rights to push forward. It's why you cheer when when the Right is attacked, even violently. It's why you long for political opponents to be killed. It's why you're panicking right now because after years of lies, the truth is coming out that Joe is an incompetent boob with the mind of a bowl of mashed potatoes, and it was all done following the Democrat playbook. It isn't hard to see Biden wasn't running the show, it was all the democrats pulling the strings in this Weekend at Bernie's ******** of a presidency. The Republicans may not be the solution to all your problems, but the Democrats clearly are the cause of them.

I always find it particularly amusing when Jan 6 is brought up. It's that shiny red object that's always pointed to. "He's a threat to democracy." "He tried to overthrow government." "That kind of political violence is unthinkable." The critical thing in this is both conservatives and liberals alike condemned the violence.

Donald Trump finished his speech that day away from the Capitol to "assemble peacefully and patriotically." Donald Trump even told everyone to go home. He didn't open up a rioter bail fund like Harris did during the months of rioting throughout the country. He didn't say it was "fiery but mostly peaceful protests" like many commentators did. He didn't ignore a blatant violent mob that was outside the White House and cheer when Secret Service moved him to the Bunker over security concerns.

The only reason liberals point to January 6th is because it was the clear instance of civil unrest and violence from the right. And need i mention the violence from Hamas-niks celebrating terrorists that have infested the Democrats, or mention the calls for violence against Supreme Court Justices when things didn't go your way. Violence and riots are the language of the deranged left. And it's never condemned or punished.

The real threat to democracy is the embrace of fascistic weaponizations of the various levers of government. You won't say it's a threat to democracy when the FBI and CIA are weaponized to spy on American citizens. You won't say it's a threat to democracy to weaponize the judicial system to indict, convict, and imprison American citizens for fabricated crimes. You won't say it's a threat to democracy when the IRS is weaponized against conservative groups at the behest of Obama (and was successfully sued because of it). You love tyranny and fascism until it comes for you. The Left only desires power. They don't have principles. They don't value people's rights. They see them as an impediment to their crusade for power. It's why you try to silence dissent. It's why you ignore Constitutional Rights to push forward. It's why you cheer when when the Right is attacked, even violently. It's why you long for political opponents to be killed. It's why you're panicking right now because after years of lies, the truth is coming out that Joe is an incompetent boob with the mind of a bowl of mashed potatoes, and it was all done following the Democrat playbook. It isn't hard to see Biden wasn't running the show, it was all the democrats pulling the strings in this Weekend at Bernie's ******** of a presidency. The Republicans may not be the solution to all your problems, but the Democrats clearly are the cause of them.

I'm still wondering what the lies were that Trump said? Maybe a few inaccuracies. But Biden blatantly lied and brought up stories that were fact-checked as incorrect. and ,the media even has said as much. Such as, the laptop hoax, Charlottesville hoax, the Hunter never made money, suckers and losers hoax, and many others. Oh yeah in America is not a democracy.
PS, most of you people on here need to be medicated.

Donald Trump finished his speech that day away from the Capitol to "assemble peacefully and patriotically." Donald Trump even told everyone to go home.
That doesn't fly. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing and that last sentence contradicts itself when it comes to Trump. He wanted them to protest but he didn't care that they would overrun and ransack the Capitol until it became clear that he could be implicated for what he said.

It always is.

January 6th has the distinction (it's a big one) of being an attempted overthrow of the country. Not just a riot.

The real threat to democracy is the embrace of fascistic weaponizations of the various levers of government. You won't say it's a threat to democracy when the FBI and CIA are weaponized to spy on American citizens.

You don't know me very well do you.

You won't say it's a threat to democracy to weaponize the judicial system to indict, convict, and imprison American citizens for fabricated crimes.

I definitely would. Link please.

You won't say it's a threat to democracy when the IRS is weaponized against conservative groups at the behest of Obama (and was successfully sued because of it).

Link please. Of course I would.

You love tyranny and fascism until it comes for you.

I don't. And I don't like that it's coming for me at the behest of conservatives.

They don't value people's rights.

Like voting rights?

They see them as an impediment to their crusade for power. It's why you try to silence dissent. It's why you ignore Constitutional Rights to push forward. It's why you cheer when when the Right is attacked, even violently. It's why you long for political opponents to be killed.

You're just making stuff up about me, whoever you think that is.

It's why you're panicking right now because after years of lies, the truth is coming out that Joe is an incompetent boob with the mind of a bowl of mashed potatoes, and it was all done following the Democrat playbook. It isn't hard to see Biden wasn't running the show, it was all the democrats pulling the strings in this Weekend at Bernie's ******** of a presidency. The Republicans may not be the solution to all your problems, but the Democrats clearly are the cause of them.

No, republicans are definitely the cause of my problems.

Edit:

As predicted, the Trump Trolls have returned!

Oh yeah in America is not a democracy.

It is, just not exclusively so. It's a constitutionally-limited democratic republic. See that democratic word in there? It's important.

Last edited:
I'm still wondering what the lies were that Trump said? Maybe a few inaccuracies. But Biden blatantly lied and brought up stories that were fact-checked as incorrect. and ,the media even has said as much. Such as, the laptop hoax, Charlottesville hoax, the Hunter never made money, suckers and losers hoax, and many others. Oh yeah in America is not a democracy.
PS, most of you people on here need to be medicated.
Do you believe Trump when he finishes a sentence with "...like never before" or "...in history" ? Because...you shouldn't.

Back