My 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone UPDATE:Just a picture/car got a bath. 56k deathzone

• Thread starter bergauk
  • 76 comments
I think that'd be great. My brother used to drive the car before I had it. He installed some nice stereo when he had it and when he wrecked it he pulled it all out and left the empty holes where it used to be. So yeah, I think some speakers would be a great addition to the car. I'm not into that whole "the only music I need is the sound of my engine" thing. I'll talk it over with my dad and arrange a day to possibly pick them up or just wait until "Go!"

Here they are:

dscn2322.jpg

dscn2323.jpg

dscn2324.jpg

I found them a little ostentatious for the inside of the Porsche, and went with something a little less "in your face", but as I said there's nothing wrong with them, I just didn't like the way they looked! :guilty:

Wow, thats totally not what I was expecting. They look great. I'd be glad to take them off your hands. I'll have a talk with my dad ASAP and get back to you.

I think that'd be great. My brother used to drive the car before I had it. He installed some nice stereo when he had it and when he wrecked it he pulled it all out and left the empty holes where it used to be. So yeah, I think some speakers would be a great addition to the car. I'm not into that whole "the only music I need is the sound of my engine" thing. I'll talk it over with my dad and arrange a day to possibly pick them up or just wait until "Go!"

A stereo is a great idea. I mean I don't mind listening to my car play the good ol' 18436572, but it does get to be a bit boring without music.

You gunna put it in the glovebox or does your radio opening allow for a modern radio?

Well lucky for me. My brother left all the wiring in place when he pulled out the stereo he installed in the center console. So when I get a deck and an amp I'll probably just place those things where he had them and wire it all back up. It should work just like before.

No crazy stereo stuff in old muscle cars pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase. :)

Since I got my 306 in the Tbird, I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to the stereo haha.

I admit I enjoy the sounds of a great engine, but I can only drive for so long before I want to listen to some music.

they make modern radios that fit in original dash holes. ditto with speakers.

I alternate between human music, and mechanical music when I'm being cautious (unrestorable cars tend to have some squeeks you gotta listen for)

I'd really like to have them, but I have no way of getting over to you until whenever Go! is decided. My brother thinks I'm crazy for wanting them. My dad doesn't want to drive that far. I'd gladly take them off your hands but yet I have no way of getting them being dropped off or serious convincing of my parents.

I'd really like to have them, but I have no way of getting over to you until whenever Go! is decided. My brother thinks I'm crazy for wanting them.

Crazy for wanting free stuff? :dunce:
I hope he enjoys paying over-the-odds for everything then! ;)
Granted they're not the most visually attractive, nor aurally excellent speakers I've ever come across, but they work perfectly and you'd be hard pushed to find something similar for under $40 per pair, so at "nothing at all" they're a bargain! 👍
I'm still deciding on Go! dates, it's largely contingent on my training class back in England. If it's July then the meeting will be June-ish, if it's August then the meeting will be mid-July.
Where in the Bay Area are you? My work takes me here, there and everywhere.

Not really much of an update. But. I washed the car and attached a grill that I have prepped for a new coat of black on it. Everything thats masked in blue painters tape is chrome. Though I kinda like the blue tape around it. Reminds me of those Jaguar race cars with the bright green around the grill. Makes it stand out.

IMG_3706.jpg

All in all, Just a few more bits and pieces left to get it looking like a real car again. The engine needs a lot of work still though. It stopped running again and I cannot for the like of me figure out why it wont start up.

Indeed. Did you learn to drive yet? I still have those speakers sat in the garage and they've still got your name on them if you can pick them up.

I know its been quite some time but is there any updates on this?

Updates? Not really. It runs fine. But its still missing a part. That part being the front bumper. A ridiculously difficult piece of hardware to find. And an even more annoying part to repair. We have the one from the crash. But its badly mangled, and I'm pretty sure theres a mounting point on it missing. I still don't drive unfortunately. Hopefully I can convince my parents to take me to the DMV over the summer. Just to have a license. As much as I want to have this project done. I don't have the resources to do it by myself.

On the really annoying side of this. The car has become considered "derelict" by the city enforcers. So it had to be moved further up the driveway. I am itching to drive it though.

Again. Like I said in the funnypicthread. I'm sorry I don't come here as much as I used to. I love the forum, it just comes as one of the things I check at the end of the day for some reason.

Back