My new $2500 car: 1986 300ZX!

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 33 comments

jeffgoddin

still team Edward!
Premium
United States
Cleveland
Got it June 10th. 1986 non-turbo, 186k, southern car with a great body, lots of new stuff (timing belt, clutch, tranny seals, distributor, wires, plugs, battery, coolant hoses.) Everything works except the gear is gone on the passenger window motor, and the cruise control.

nissan 300zx z31 mine rear rain by spotterjeff, on Flickr

nissan 300zx z31 mine front rain by spotterjeff, on Flickr

Needs a paint job, since the clear coat long ago burned off in the South Carolina sun. Someday 17x7 wheels and tires, before that exhaust. Have all poly bushings, new front rack&pinion, tie rod ends, cv joints, front shock contridges (rear shocks are new-ish,) and wheel bearings. Can't wait to get all the suspension like new and see how she drives!

Yeah, only cost me $2500, but over the next few years, I can see putting at least that much more into it, and the result will be amazing. And maybe someday, VG30DETT or at least VG30ET/VG33ET and an intercooler.

Keep in mind, this 27 year old car has no rust, and looks basically new underneath, which makes my Z31 unbelievably rare in my snowy-salty-winter part of the world.

Figured I could start a thread and see if anybody else here has experience with these... I'm sure I could use the help as I get started really making this car mine, and getting it running how I want it. (For example, where can I get a Cat replacement Test Pipe? How much can I advance the timing to improve performance at the cost of emissions/efficiency?)

Very nice, always really liked the look of the early 300ZX. Congrats on the purchase. 👍

I love it!

Some day, you should get S13 coilovers (they fit on this car with a little work), Z31 Anniversary Edition wheels, VG33ET swap, in dark grey. Mmmm that would be great. Good luck with it, I hope to see you do cool things with this car!

EDIT: I say S13 coilovers because coilovers for this car are EXPENSIVE and you need to import them here from Japan. Unless you can afford to buy and ship Z coilovers, which would be awesome.

Thanks guys! Yeah, never, NEVER, thought I'd have a car I love. It may not have much power, but it's a beautiful car, and a great base, and even without the hp it already corners great, even before I refresh all the suspension bits.

On way home from work, cruising at 70, had a car come up doing 75, I just nodded when it was alongside and I knew it was a Z, 350 or 370. But to my surprise, the guy driving it is giving me big thumbs up! Nice!

Last edited:
Keep in mind, this 27 year old car has no rust, and looks basically new underneath, which makes my Z31 unbelievably rare in my snowy-salty-winter part of the world.
Be sure to take very good care of it. A friend of mine once bought a Z31 out of the Racine area (S of Milwaukee)...you could say it was a two-tone model, gray with ferrous red. ;)

Sweet car, it's always great to drive something that really reflects what you like.

Ahem...

4512.jpg

engine.z31.v8.1.jpg

Wait.... that's... your car?!? And you're Finnish?!???!!!??? Teach me, oh master!

Ok, cut springs... then what?

Mikkelson... not Finn?

And, it's going to be a while before I get to swapping engines. My primary goal until then is to not wreck the car.

Already had the rear come out on me, after it had started raining one day and I tried to get around the corner a little faster than I could. One handed steering, counter steer, ginning stupidly, with other cars all around, "Oh, THAT's what it feels like!" But I'll not attempt to repeat those conditions, drifting is bad... well, at least I'll not try again until I have controlled conditions, without innocents around.

Mikkelson... not Finn?

And, it's going to be a while before I get to swapping engines. My primary goal until then is to not wreck the car.

Already had the rear come out on me, after it had started raining one day and I tried to get around the corner a little faster than I could. One handed steering, counter steer, ginning stupidly, with other cars all around, "Oh, THAT's what it feels like!" But I'll not attempt to repeat those conditions, drifting is bad... well, at least I'll not try again until I have controlled conditions, without innocents around.

Norwegian!

I know that same situation... First time I drove my 240 in the rain (before I started drifting at events and such) I went too quickly around a corner coming onto a busy freeway, tons of people were around and I came REALLY close to hitting someone.. But it was fun. But never again around people.

I've seen VG33s for cheap, a friend of mine got one for his Z for 300. Though priorities first.

Oof... going slow. For shame, but I'm using it for pizza delivery. Up to 198K.

New rack, some nice poly bushings and bits, new front shock cartidges, feels great now. New brake master cylinder, had to. Oh, did I mention the head gasket? Got that out of the way, and cylinder head straightened out. So much more to do, basic stuff. Radiator leaks, maybe something going on with the clutch hydrolics (almost to the floor before I feel pressure), brake calipers are wiggly(?) but brake fine, need to do rear shocks and get the rest of the poly suspension bits in, including body mounts. Fuse for the AC blower has gone twice, don't know why. Still need to do the passenger side window, sometimes it drops open an inch now, and I have to get out and pull it back up.

Then I have to look at the wiring, a couple side indicators are out. And tires pretty soon. Think I'll keep the wheels stock.

Then finally I'll get a better air intake (Green), and then exhaust, manifolds back, straight/test pipe instead of the punched out catalytic converter. Or maybe the paint job before that, but I'm going to want to get all new seals, etc, so that when everything is apart for the paint job that can all be replaced.

With my income, we're already talking next fall to get all this sorted. And a couple years after to look at the motor.

Buut... more reviving this to share little stories of the joy of owning a car like this. Mainly, though my car is admittedly slow, about how often I inspire some spirited driving in others with my car. Feels really good, but I don't have anybody who can appreciate these tales, so I thought I'd try here.

Couple days ago, on my way to work. There's about a 2 mile stretch of highway, sometimes I just stick in the slow lane if there's nasty traffic so I don't have to mess with lane changing, but if I can I move over to the fast lane (it's 4 lanes here) and make up 50 cars or so which can be up to a couple minutes saved with lights after the exit (or nothing saved... but worth trying.) So I get on the freeway and gauge the situation. Traffic ahead is rather blocked up, with a semi in the fast lane maybe 1/4 mile ahead, so I coast at 55 in the slow lane for 10 seconds or so. Then I see the semi signal to move over and I say "there we go," everybody behind him will speed up and I'll find a way around this block of traffic. Once I decide to go for it, I accelerate, move over a lane, then another, and in a matter of 4 seconds I'm doing 70-72, and making much progress on the traffic, and still some room to breathe ahead of me. In the process, I pass a silver WRX that had just passed me and was still hanging in the 2nd fastest lane doing about 62. Next thing I know, as I'm passing the semi, I check my rearview, and sure enough, the WRX is pulling out into the fast lane and picking up speed. This whole process has used up about half of the 2 miles I have on the freeway, so I need to start getting back over to the exit lane. In order to do that, I need to speed up a little to get in front of the semi just as the car in front of me is far enough ahead to give a space (he's doing about 68, semi 65, and I came up from way back.) So up to 75 and moving over, WRX in my mirror still accelerating and following, I move over again into the exit lane, backing off a little, WRX pulls up, I look over, and he's giving me a big thumbs up!

Nice to be able to inspire, and participate in, some spirited driving from time to time! As a rule, I generally don't speed more than 5-7mph over, maybe 10mph on the highway. But I do use up to 3500-4500rpms in 2nd and 3rd to get up to speed (whether it's 40mph or 60mph,) and the sudden acceleration of my car as it hits the powerband in 2nd I think often gets similar fellows excited. A regular Mustang just before the WRX on side streets, a Hyundai coupe tonight, it happens almost every day. I love that about my car.

I had a gold 87' I believe. (the facelift model) fun little car with a nice sound. They're a perfect first car for anyone who wants RWD.

Yeah, was just talking to a guy about that (food delivery, first time going to this guy, I took the order on the phone, too, and when he said his address, I said, "Oh, you got that Talon, right?" And he got all excited and it went from there.) He just finished his car after 2 years of work (I delivered to his mom once a year ago and the car was in the drive and I asked about it, so I knew it was in process.) Running 50 lbs of boost. I get there for the delivery, and first thing he does is bring a turbo out of his garage to show me. He was also pretty certain that I want an LS swap. But he was talking crazy stuff, like Explorer rear end or something for 9" wheels. On the other hand, he's got the experience to back it up. Not just his Talon, he was showing me pics of a few other cars. All doing at least 800hp at the wheel. I don't want to go that crazy, but he seems to think a 1998-2003 or something LS out of a Camaro or something, leave it NA but reprogram it, and I'll have 350hp he thinks. Anyway, he gave me his number for down the road when I'm getting into that (he's at Fort Bragg now, mostly, but by then should be back.)

Since you guys were talking about V8 and Drag Racing this ZX, Here's a local with a 2jz gte that runs 7's

Anyway if you have to work on the body, why not a widebody/ fender flares ?

damn, listen to that turbo!

and until I start making a good deal more money than I do now, any big money projects are distant visions... maybe I'll have to go to Alaska this summer and work on a fishing boat, come back with $15K and put it all into the car, when I add everything up that's about what I need.

Yeah, was just talking to a guy about that (food delivery, first time going to this guy, I took the order on the phone, too, and when he said his address, I said, "Oh, you got that Talon, right?" And he got all excited and it went from there.) He just finished his car after 2 years of work (I delivered to his mom once a year ago and the car was in the drive and I asked about it, so I knew it was in process.) Running 50 lbs of boost. I get there for the delivery, and first thing he does is bring a turbo out of his garage to show me. He was also pretty certain that I want an LS swap. But he was talking crazy stuff, like Explorer rear end or something for 9" wheels. On the other hand, he's got the experience to back it up. Not just his Talon, he was showing me pics of a few other cars. All doing at least 800hp at the wheel. I don't want to go that crazy, but he seems to think a 1998-2003 or something LS out of a Camaro or something, leave it NA but reprogram it, and I'll have 350hp he thinks. Anyway, he gave me his number for down the road when I'm getting into that (he's at Fort Bragg now, mostly, but by then should be back.)

You see? The guy knows because he's positive you need a V8 under the hood. Also,I think he was suggesting the Explorer rear end because Ford axle and because of the fact that thr rear suspension on the Explorer is independent. But I don't know how complex it would be to install it on a Z car... loads of fabrication, for sure.

Back