My new $2500 car: 1986 300ZX!

• Thread starter jeffgoddin
  • 33 comments
You see? The guy knows because he's positive you need a V8 under the hood. Also,I think he was suggesting the Explorer rear end because Ford axle and because of the fact that thr rear suspension on the Explorer is independent. But I don't know how complex it would be to install it on a Z car... loads of fabrication, for sure.
Not always. The IRS on the Explorer isn't exactly common. You are more likely to find a solid axle under one.

Not always. The IRS on the Explorer isn't exactly common. You are more likely to find a solid axle under one.

Yeah and the fact that we're talking about a Z car which already has an independent rear kinda renders my previous comment useless. Even so, I don't know if the Z's diff would be able to cope with V8 torque without some reinforcement.

Yeah and the fact that we're talking about a Z car which already has an independent rear kinda renders my previous comment useless. Even so, I don't know if the Z's diff would be able to cope with V8 torque without some reinforcement.
The differential might be fine under the stress of a stock engine. The axle shafts are what I'd worry about.

Just did my first bit of real mechanic work... sprung for a set of ramps so I could get under her, and replaced the clutch slave cylinder! Yay! Even called my dad (mechanic for 35+ years before retiring) to let him know.

Back