Need help choosing a new video card!

• Thread starter kikie
  • 12 comments

kikie

I'm here
Premium
Belgium
in the land of stupidity
Yesterday, I did a 3Dmarks 06 (standard, no settings) benchmark on a Full HD tv.

I got a 2485. It's impossible to play race sims netKar Pro and hopefully iRacing in the near future, etc ..., all settings enabled and in 3-D (stereoscopic; anaglyph)

So I guess I need a new video card. The card I have right now is a 8500GT.

PC specs:
  • gigabyte GA - MA78G-DS3H
  • AMD dual Core 64, 2.8GHz, 5400+
  • 320 HDD
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 8500GT (1024mb)
  • PSU: 350 Watt
  • standard case and cooling
A friend of mine sells his XFX 9800GT 512mb, 6 months old for €75 {$108} .
I'm using RivaTuner to make my present card a little bit faster.

1. What kind of PSU do I need?
  2. Is the 9800GT 512mb powerfull enough to play to latest race games, like NFS Shift in full HD (1920x1080)?
  3. Do I need to replace the processor with a better/faster processor?
  4. And if I should replace the processor, is the 9800GT good enough?
Money is an issue! I don't want to spend too much on an upgrade but I want to be able to play race games (sims) in full HD (and 3-D) with as many graphical settings enabled.

Also, yesterday I got a mail with all the processors still available and compatible with this gigabyte motherboard.
I don't know if it is necessary to upgrade the processor.

This is the list I got:

[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Athlon II AM3 X2 240 2.8GHz 2MB Cache Box 65W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 69,90[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Athlon II AM3 X2 245 2.9GHz 2MB Cache Box 65W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 75,00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Athlon II AM3 X2 250 3.0GHz 2MB Cache Box 65W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 85,00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 X2 545 3.0GHz 7MB Box 45nm 80W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 99,90[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 7MB Box[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 115,00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 720 Black Edition 2.8GHz 7,5MB Box[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 149,00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 Quad Core X4 905E 2.5GHz 6MB Box 65W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 189,90[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 X4 945 3.0GHz 8MB 125W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 189,90[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz 8MB 125W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 249,00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AMD CPU Phenom II AM3 X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz 8MB 125W[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]€ 259,00[/FONT]

XP Home 32 bit

Ps: there is a very slight chance that I'm going to sart with a triple monitor setup in the future. In that case, the 9800GT and current processor wont be powerfull enough. Like I said, money is an issue, so I'm not sure that this will become reality.

Thanks

Thanks!

I don't trust ATI. In 2004, I had an ATI card. It was unbelievable how much problems this card created.

Won't the 955 black edition fry my motherboard?

Last edited:
Just letting you know, a triple monitor setup is going to need a TON of processing power from the GPU. Like, just my 28" and 20" monitors (1920x1200 and 1680x1050, respectively) end up with 3600px wide display.

And with your 3dMark06 score, I've found that you hit a wall with the GPU fairly early, and then the majority of your score comes from the CPU. When I had my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (at 3Ghz) I saw a huge improvement jumping to a 3Ghz E8400 Core 2 Duo overclocked to 4Ghz. There is very little difference between running my GTX260s in SLI or just in the single card mode, there may be like 1000pts difference at the most.

However, your 8500GT is definitely not a gaming card...Just going by price = performance (I'm out of the loop on what's hot right now), a $150 or so card will do everything you want it to. Basing this off the fact that my GTX260 can be had around that. I have no clue about AMD processors though, sorry.

Hey Eric.

[additional info]This pc was never meant to be a gaming pc. As my father doesn't need it anymore, I have the opportunity to upgrade it and start gaming again.[/additional info]

Last edited:
Your PSU most likely won't handle a 955 and GTX 260. You should get a quality 400W unit at a minimum. 500-600W wouldn't be a bad idea.

Your PSU most likely won't handle a 955 and GTX 260. You should get a quality 400W unit at a minimum. 500-600W wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, I wouldn't do less than a 600W personally. I like the OCZ GameXstream, and Corsair makes some nice models as well.
Hey Eric.

This pc was never meant to be a gaming pc. As my father doesn't need it anymore, I have the opportunity to upgrade it and start gaming again.
I only meant the "8500GT not a gaming card" comment to say you shouldn't be too down with that benchmark. That's a very basic card whose main purpose is to improve video performance and some light gaming. It can only get better. :)

Sorry, didn't look up the specs of your motherboard, but I'm assuming it's new enough to accept a PCI-e graphics card? If so, I would get the best card that you can afford with plans of moving that card to a new PC down the road. A good card will outlast the life of your current setup and might allow you to get into that triple display setup as you look on the horizon for future needs.

I've been down the ATI and nVidia road many times. Currently sporting nVidia and couldn't be happier with these cards.

Sorry, didn't look up the specs of your motherboard, but I'm assuming it's new enough to accept a PCI-e graphics card?
Yep, this pc is just over a year old. This motherboard has an ATI 3200 graphics "card" onboard aswell as VGA, DVI-D and HDMI.
If so, I would get the best card that you can afford with plans of moving that card to a new PC down the road. A good card will outlast the life of your current setup and might allow you to get into that triple display setup as you look on the horizon for future needs.
I have been thinking the same thing.

If only ....... I won Euromillions ... :sly:

can you wait a few more days? ATi's 58xx series is coming out, and ATi may drop prices on the 4xxx series, causing prices for nvidia to drop to compete... maybe I am planning on grabbing a ATi 5870 :)

can you wait a few more days?
Absolutely. Thanks for the heads up.

It's a must, that I have to wait. I have to install 5 new windows, a new floor in my bedroom, maybe a new bed and a green sleep new matress.

Besides

1. Shift hasn't been released yet.
  2. GT5 hasn't been released yet and I'm not going to decide which wheel to get before GT5 has been released.
  3. I don't have netKar Pro/iRacing, yet.
So, do you trust ATI that much that you're going to get the new 5870?

The 5870 will be released in late September.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15351/34/
So you could pick up a 4870 at a really good price. Or 2 even. As in the past with ATI cards at release, they are fast but the drivers for them aren't tweaked well enough. $299 for a 5870 is really nice though.
Nvidia is announcing their 300 cards September 10th.
October should be interesting. All these new cards, Windows 7, P55 chipsets, Core i5 processors, Wow!

So, do you trust ATI that much that you're going to get the new 5870?

Well, I'm obviously going to read some reviews before I buy, but ATi's 4xxx series was a big hit. so hopefully some of that momentum carries over to the 5 series. 4870's are already pretty cheap. when I bought my 4850, the 4870 was $100 more. now the 4870 only costs about $130 before shipping. I dont know if ATi would actually drop prices on those. that'd be crazy to grab a 4870 for $100 so soon.

Back