New open world Star Wars game from The Division studio

I’ve always enjoyed The Division - hopefully it will be a spiritual successor to Knights Of the Old Republic. That had to be one of my all time favorite series for the Star Wars games. Never got to try the MMO one though.

This is looking much better than I was expecting - to be honest, of the 2 big space games of the weekend this gets my vote so far (does help that it’s multiformat)

Yes, this looks very interesting. Curious how it will turn out and what mechanics they will/will not borrow from The Division.

Yes, this looks very interesting. Curious how it will turn out and what mechanics they will/will not borrow from The Division.
Maybe a bit of the shooting but otherwise it seems quite different. There's a bit of GTA with the wanted levels, some Uncharted, a bit of EA's Jedi games with the companion droid creature on your shoulder.

Really like the look of this, interesting time period as well set between Episodes 5 and 6, nice to see something different there. Also really like the decision to go with a kind of, smuggler type character, frees the character from any Jedi expectations and should help with the world building and freedom side of it very nicely. The gameplay looked pretty good too, love the whole escape by any means on the speeder bikes, make what was clearly a poor choice in dialogue and have to escape again with a bit of ground to air transition, good looking space combat. Definitely a day 1 buy for me.

Perhaps if this is a success, they will do a Mandalorian one next? 🤤🤤

This looks excellent, I didn't enjoy Jedi: Fallen Order so avoided Survivor too but this looks more like my style. I already like the main character much more too, which helps. The other thing I like is the UI; the labels that pop up when entering/leaving a system and the "Quest Completed" fanfare are very cool and fit the style of the game perfectly.

Last edited:
I don't usually care about these PC graphical showcases with raytracing/DLSS/blah blah .. but this does look really good

Some of the previews aren’t positive about the gameplay but it looks fine to me. I think they hate anything that’s not super hard & complicated like Elden Ring and Sekiro.

Some of the previews aren’t positive about the gameplay but it looks fine to me. I think they hate anything that’s not super hard & complicated like Elden Ring and Sekiro.

Yeah, admittedly it does seem to follow the tried and tested Ubisoft open world formula, but that's not always a bad thing and given that it hasn't been done in the Star Wars world before, should make it a good overall experience.

Eurogamer were also less than complimentary on its gameplay but they went down the route of comparing it to Fallen Order/Survivor which I didn't understand, comparing Star Wars games is fine but they're obviously different things. They also say the open world feels less exciting but they tried 3 small level snippets over an hour so I'm not sure how they could draw that conclusion.

Also, so happy that space combat is in, sounds like escapes will be quite exciting.

I'm still excited because I'm a Star Wars nut and do love a good Ubisoft open world game.

I don't think I've ever played an Ubi open world (AC never appealed to me over than Valhalla, and in that one I wanted to be a Saxon not a Viking) so the formula will be quite fresh to me.

In the end it looks to me like Uncharted with added space battles. That is right up my alley, I switched back to Playstation just to play the Uncharted games (and then Naughty Dog stopped making them in favour of the miseryfest that is The Last Of Us).

Last edited:
If this is like the usual Ubisoft open world stuff then I think I'll really enjoy it, I've certainly come away from the trailers feeling excited. I'm in the minority in that I didn't enjoy Fallen Order or Survivor so the previews comparing it negatively to those doesn't bother me much.

If this is like the usual Ubisoft open world stuff then I think I'll really enjoy it, I've certainly come away from the trailers feeling excited. I'm in the minority in that I didn't enjoy Fallen Order or Survivor so the previews comparing it negatively to those doesn't bother me much.
I enjoyed Fallen Order a lot but I've struggled to get into Survivor for some reason.

This is one of the very few games I’ve been looking forward to playing for a long time and I’m glad that it doesn’t appear to be near of the games mentioned above when it comes to difficulty. Gameplay is also looking good.

I personally just want to enjoy a good open-world Star Wars game as a filthy casual and not a masochist.

Only thing putting me off from getting this at launch is the £70 digital cost, a week before Astro Bot is out (I'm definitely getting that). I haven't bought a physical game for years as my PS5 drive can be very noisy (and I'm too lazy to bother with swapping discs around), but may have to go back to the old ways for this one. Already seen a few decent deals and likely more nearer release. I suppose I can always grab the digital version later when it goes on sale.

Some extended gameplay without any commentary/voiceover

Last edited:
There's quite a lot more previews out this week and it's looking pretty good. Much better than the IGN one that caused a lot of negativity. Seems to be some fun random encounters with the Empire, and the space combat/flying appears to be many magnitudes better than Starfield (even if the ship is an ugly brick).

I'm still not sure whether I'll get it at launch. Still have a huge backlog to work through, and Astro Bot is out soon afterwards.

Last edited:
From what is being shown in the previews, this will be a definitve purchase from me...as long as the game performs well on the PS5.
Don't really care about resolution and/or pixel counts as long as it's a solid 60fps, I just need a confirmation of the latter 😅

I'd assume Digital Foundry will have an analysis ready fairly quickly after the release.

Is this game constant online? I am thinking it is since it's Ubisoft. I will definitely get this on sale

kjb
Is this game constant online? I am thinking it is since it's Ubisoft. I will definitely get this on sale
No, it's single-player and there's no online elements or requirements listed on the product page (other than presumably needing a Ubisoft account when first installing).

No, it's single-player and there's no online elements or requirements listed on the product page (other than presumably needing a Ubisoft account when first installing).
Okay cool. I might actually might try to get this around Christmas

Grand Theft Andor? Looks cool!

Jerome

Grand Theft Andor? Looks cool!

Jerome
According to the director it’s more like Ghost of Tatooine (which is funny as Tsushima itself was clearly inspired by Ubi games).

There definitely is some Rockstar in there with the star wanted system and the DeadEye shooting from RDR. Seems a decent mashup of a lot of open world games.

Hopefully it does run well on the normal PS5 and it isn’t all PC footage they’ve been showing.

The GameSpot hands-on report is informative and makes it pretty hopefull, just hope difficulty can be high enough to be satisfying, and that stealth isn't totally insta-fail, and possible to get out of it, like with han solo, when things mess up.

The more fleshed out tasks seem cool, but some open world side activities and encounters seem pretty weak, uninvolving and unpolished, animations, ai etc.

If they can add a few months of polish and flesh out weaker things. Hope it'll be great in the end, i like the overall game design idea, and charming mood.

If they can add a few months of polish and flesh out weaker things. Hope it'll be great in the end, i like the overall game design idea, and charming mood.
It’s out in 4 weeks :crazy: but I guess all game releases are betas these days. Bring on the patches!

Latest Posts

Back