Newbie stuff...

• Thread starter cleanLX
  • 43 comments
Don't over drive the car, rally cars brake and turn earlier, let the car slide/coast and then hit the throttle. Aim for smooth and fast will come. Although jumps are a lottery!
I'm really struggling... I grew up in rural east coast Canada, where I learned to drive (and drive fast...) on dirt roads and in snow.
Having a hard time correlating my real life experience to the in-game experience.
My favorite high speed dirt road vehicle in real life was a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8 H.O. and Quadradrive.

Struggling, and frustrated...

Boo Hoo poor me :)

Man i can ramble on and on...

Last edited:
I have turned on all the assists, but I think it might be time to turn them all off again and dial this rig in.
unfortunately, I cannot be competitive in it, with it's stock tune
With rallying on GT7 the physics have never felt right, when it first came out any bump would send you all over the place.

Rallying on GT7 I never use any assists as they seem to upset the way the car drives, traction control will really hinder your turning ability as you need some wheel slip to keep the slide and power simultaneously.

Also, if you are really struggling, you could leave this one (or any rally one for that matter) until the physics change that is coming with the new update at the end of this month as that may help you 'feel' the car more.

Last edited:
if you are really struggling, you could leave this one
Decided to do just that, and tasked myself with completing some more licenses (regular, not masters).
Completed International B without trouble (was only aiming for bronze) and moved onto International A...
And what do you know, the 3rd test in is the Ford Focus Gr.B rally car at Fisherman's Ranch... HA!
You know what GT7, you got me again. :).

Rallying on GT7 I never use any assists as they seem to upset the way the car drives, traction control will really hinder your turning ability as you need some wheel slip to keep the slide and power simultaneously.
Thanks, tomorrow is a new day, and I will go play some more with the rally menu book.

And what do you know, the 3rd test in is the Ford Focus Gr.B rally car at Fisherman's Ranch... HA!
🤣

yeah, you cannot avoid rally for ever

Not being a rally expert at all, and not a fan either, the advice I can give you is to be smooth with the throttle, don't push too much, don't try to be fast, better take the turns a bit slow, without too much wheelspin

And practice, it will come

You know what GT7, you got me again. :).
GT7 loves continuity to catch you out 🤣

yeah, you cannot avoid rally for ever
Very true 🤣

Not being a rally expert at all, and not a fan either, the advice I can give you is to be smooth with the throttle, don't push too much, don't try to be fast, better take the turns a bit slow, without too much wheelspin

And practice, it will come
To add to this, also don't fully press the brake.

If you watch GT Sophy races you will see that Sophy and the World Series champions bearly use the brake, which gives them a lot of control over the car by using weight shifting not just front to back but on all 4 corners of the car to manipulate it on the rally tracks.

If you watch GT Sophy races you will see that Sophy and the World Series champions bearly use the brake, which gives them a lot of control over the car by using weight shifting not just front to back but on all 4 corners of the car to manipulate it on the rally tracks.
100% true, use the brakes only when you can't avoid using them, and with enough anticipation (in a straight line before the turn, car being straight too), you go around turns by gently using throttle to manage your placement

Shift far earlier than you are used to. Just like in a little front wheel drive car in that wet snow we get on the East Coast of North America. Far less driving is far faster. Dialing that in is not easy but once you get it it'll make a lot more sense. Still not great physics in this game, but not impossible. I think the suggestion to wait for the next physics update to put time in here is a good one. It's likely all to change here in a bit more than a week.

It's likely all to change here in a bit more than a week.
Pray Game Show GIF by ABC Network

also don't fully press the brake.
go around turns by gently using throttle to manage your placement
So, I could not sleep last night (not because of GT7 btw) and began my work day at 3am, so, now I am back in rally car mode.

Thanks to you guys;
I cleared the license test (turned all assists (car and visual) off)... Bronze... by the skin of my teeth...
Then headed to Sardegna Windmills, and changed the Focus roll bars both to #4 for more roll/weight-shift/grip on gravel...
And won with a last lap, last corner pass!!! On my first try (today).
Off to Fisherman's Ranch..., but, have not come close to memorizing the track so will likely just put a few hours of track experience (yes, that's how slow my learning process is :)) in before I try the event.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
don't fully press the brake
go around turns by gently using throttle to manage your placement
YAY!!!
Thanks fella's... I DID IT! Success on my first try (after lapping/practicing/watching my replays...)... first try, ahem, today...LOL!

ETA;
Also, during my practice, I moved break balance to the rear to help initiate oversteer on corner entry.

Last edited:
OK.
So I though completing menu book 38 would release the Sarthe 30 min. event...
Menu book 38 complete, Sarthe is alive... no WTC 700 race... what to do next?

ETA #1
Guessing Sarthe Circuit Experience... off to try my hand at that...

ETA #2;
Well, that did not do it, and my Google-Fu is not skilled enough to find out how...

Last edited:
Gave up on trying to figure out how to unlock the WTC 700 Sarthe race, and opened menu book 39, Championship: World GT Series...
Saw everything in there was Gr.3... ok... went to the Porsche dealership and was astonished the RSR was only 450K credits, snagged the white/gold one.
1st run... 2nd place at Deep Forest Raceway...
Oh my the transmission ratios in this thing suck!
Off to Nord's for tuning.

ETA #1
Getting it dialed in, gears 1-4 not bad... need to snug them up... 4-6 are a little tight, could stretch them out... think I'm on the right track... "should" all work out when finished... not a terrible first swing.

ETA #2
Oh shoot, on route to a low 6:40 the doorbell rang, and, Miss UPS delivered a set of load cell pedals... my first ever!
Guessing that will make me even worse than I currently am for a while :).
Think I'll adult beverage and "play".

Last edited:
Played with the LC pedals some on Nord's (I like them), then entered World Gt Championship... Menu Book 39 (I think)
Porsche RSR with a transmission tune and 1 weight reduction, 507hp and 733.9pp.
Deep Forest - 2nd place.
Spa - 1st, by almost 5 seconds.
Sarthe - 1st, by right handy 4 seconds.
Bathurst - 4th... was in the lead and Frazel ran me off the road at turn 22 on the last lap... was forever getting back.
- with that "punt" Frazel and I were tied at 41 points (he won) headed to Nord's 24hr, and Frazel started in 3rd!!!
Nord's 24hr - 1st by a little over 10 seconds.
Took the Championship...
Sweet jack-o-lantern that was some focus... much enjoyment.

ETA;
Unlocked the $550K, 30 minute Sarthe 700pp race, but, it's bed time.
Tomorrow will fire up my 458 gr.4 car and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Back