Nick's AMD FX-8120 Bulldozer Build

• Thread starter nick09
  • 94 comments
Oil cooling?

uwlUK.jpg

Mineral Oil, to be exact.

Actually, to be exact, vegatable oil. I remember reading when they did this build close to seven years ago.

They had initially tried using de-ionized water, but even the smallest amount of dust and debris was causing too much ionization in the water and generating shorts.

Hey Nick, did you recieve some sort of doll with your CPU? I entered this AMD FX giveaway a while back and jsut got an email saying this:
Congratulations!

You entered into AMD’s FX CPU Giveaway on www.amd.com/comic. You have been randomly selected as the winner of our second tier prize which is an AMD Radeon™ Collectable Ruby Doll!

Please note that you will be receiving your Collectable Ruby Doll in the mail to the address that you provided in your contest entry within 2-4 weeks.

Hey Nick, did you recieve some sort of doll with your CPU?:

No. That doll was just a secondary prize in that contest. I've never got any doll with my CPU or else you would of seen it in my FX-8120 video when I unboxed it for the first time! Nor have I received a prize from AMD.

@Dunc: That is real oil cooling!

No. That doll was just a secondary prize in that contest. I've never got any doll with my CPU or else you would of seen it in my FX-8120 video when I unboxed it for the first time! Nor have I received a prize from AMD.

@Dunc: That is real oil cooling!

Didn't you win the liquid cooler? That was a prize in itself lol.

You make irrelevant nonsense.

Wut? I didn't bring up the Radeon Ruby doll to begin with. NSN1 did, I was just clarifying it for him, and everyone else really. That you didn't win your FX processor. You won the liquid cooler.

Now please. Stop trying to hate me. I'm not doing anything wrong.

Still does not make sense. I already explained to NS1 and my first post said I won a watercooler and in later posts I said I won it from Tweaktown. There is no reason to clarify.

What dodge? I didn't dodge anything. Vegetable oil? You make irrelevant nonsense. I said mineral oil because that is what you use for oil cooling. I don't care if its my thread or not, I've had enough of the arguments that go on here.

What dodge? I didn't dodge anything. Vegetable oil? You make irrelevant nonsense. I said mineral oil because that is what you use for oil cooling. I don't care if its my thread or not, I've had enough of the arguments that go on here.

Look at the link I posted. They used vegetable oil in that instance. Which is also the one you corrected me on. Any non-conductive fluid will work, including pure water. Look at the link I posted. Read it. Maybe you'll get what I am talking about.

If you don't like the arguments, don't come into a thread about someone else's build - or are you 11 or something?

And stop trying to act like you know what you are talking about. You do not, despite having built a computer recently and kind of knowing how to look things up.

Look at the link I posted. They used vegetable oil in that instance. Which is also the one you corrected me on. Any non-conductive fluid will work, including pure water. Look at the link I posted. Read it. Maybe you'll get what I am talking about.

If you don't like the arguments, don't come into a thread about someone else's build - or are you 11 or something?

And stop trying to act like you know what you are talking about. You do not, despite having built a computer recently and kind of knowing how to look things up.

For the record, I read that story in its entirety. They tried the whole purified water thing but if any impurity was in the water it would cause a short.

Vegetable oil cooling does look a bit funky. Mineral oil looks very nice though.

For the record, I read that story in its entirety. They tried the whole purified water thing but if any impurity was in the water it would cause a short.

Yes. Impurity was developing due to material on the board, etc. However, pure water does not conduct electricity, and I have submerged my phone in it before to demonstrate. Any solution that does not have ions in it will work for cooling electronics.

Vegetable oil cooling does look a bit funky. Mineral oil looks very nice though.

It was more to make a point than to argue about what solution to use. Vegetable oil is likely going to be cheaper, but your house will smell like a burger joint probably.

I never said Mineral Oil is the only liquid to use, however it is more popular than vegetable oil. You should stop creating small discussions into the end of the world, and stop making yourself seem like an arrogant guy by starting arguments that end up offending others.

Last edited:
Forget it. I reported his post. It seems like there is certain people in this forum that like ruining forum topics.

Forget it. I reported his post. It seems like there is certain people in this forum that like ruining forum topics.

Yup, I live to ruin topics.

No, actually I live to make sure the correct thing is being done. Not some halfassed job.

I never said Mineral Oil is the only liquid to use, however it is more popular than vegetable oil. You should stop creating small discussions into the end of the world, and stop making yourself seem like an arrogant guy by starting arguments that end up offending others.

Which is why you attempted to correct me by stating, and I quote

That wording is meant to be imply "oh hey look what I know." And you were quite wrong in that instance. And most people it seems are in agreement your posts tend to contribute the least. It isn't so much us being cocky as it is you getting called out on your trite posts.

See? This is why people should come here for arguments, and not the 'Do you believe in God' thread...

Back