Obelisk's Garage - Daihatsu Midget II, Mazda MX5 (NC2), racing mower

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 133 comments
Bad news:
The Massachusetts RMV turned me away when I tried to register the Midget II.

Good news:
I was referred to a service that exists specifically for situations like this. I should be able to get plates and get the Midget II on the road in no time.
That's good news, at least it turned out into a positive outcome for you, :)
Good luck mate!

2 day recap:

Friday:
Got rejected at the RMV.
Got the touch-up paint. Applied it to the various spots and the truck looks much better. (Still a little crummy looking but whatever LOL)

Saturday:
Ordered 4x110 to 4x100 adapter plates + open lug nuts for the AZ sport rims -- cheaper to adapt the hubs vs trying to move the tires from one set of rims to the other. Triple checked the studs too. The car is going to end up with all four wheels pushed out by an inch, which will make the rear tires flush with the bed and the front tires almost flush with the front wheel arches. It'll look nicer too.

Forgot to document w/ photos, sorry...

Sunday
- Used some molding tape to correct a panel gap on the front bumper and left fender. A bit better now than it was before, but the front bumper or left fender has some kind of minor damage that's preventing them from being held in place by the body panel screw. It's relatively insignificant.

Monday
  • Checked the headlight lens covers on the Midget since I just saw @SVX's comment on it and finally figured out what they meant. I don't see any damage on any of the lights, minus the completely absent cover for the interior light.
  • Ordered hub-centric spacers for the wheel adapters, as I don't want those to bounce around like crazy.
  • JDM to USDM plate adapters arrived. Mounted those to the Midget along with chameleon chrome plate covers/holders.
  • Got in touch with the license plate guys. The amount of paperwork I need to do now is mental.

Plate covers:
20240826_145809.jpg
20240826_145824.jpg

• Got in touch with the license plate guys. The amount of paperwork I need to do now is mental.
So... how is this going to work, exactly?

I don't have experience (unfortunately? fortunately?) trying to register something unusual like this, so it's all a bit of a mystery to me.

So... how is this going to work, exactly?

I don't have experience (unfortunately? fortunately?) trying to register something unusual like this, so it's all a bit of a mystery to me.
This is a peculiar loophole that I wasn't aware of until recently, but anyone can create an LLC in the state of Montana and register a car through said LLC. There's even businesses that'll do it on your behalf.

I thought it was already a handful with the five items I already have for the Midget, but the paperwork for this method of registration is a lot more involved.

I'm not sure how it is in MA but apparently in several states the local authorities may question the legitimacy of a car with a Montana plate. I read that about PA where I live (not like I would have any reason to even consider this), though I did see a few Montana plates at Cars & Coffee on rather expensive cars. Doug DeMuro mentions this quite often, as well. Before you do it, make sure you check on this angle, as well.

I'm not sure how it is in MA but apparently in several states the local authorities may question the legitimacy of a car with a Montana plate. I read that about PA where I live (not like I would have any reason to even consider this), though I did see a few Montana plates at Cars & Coffee on rather expensive cars. Doug DeMuro mentions this quite often, as well. Before you do it, make sure you check on this angle, as well.
Appreciate you saying this! My friend with the only other Midget II in the state just got his plates, so I'll ask him and the other kei truck enthusiasts who've made the switch already to see what I can expect.

Sunday
- Used some molding tape to correct a panel gap on the front bumper and left fender. A bit better now than it was before, but the front bumper or left fender has some kind of minor damage that's preventing them from being held in place by the body panel screw. It's relatively insignificant.

Monday
  • Checked the headlight lens covers on the Midget since I just saw @SVX's comment on it and finally figured out what they meant. I don't see any damage on any of the lights, minus the completely absent cover for the interior light.
  • Ordered hub-centric spacers for the wheel adapters, as I don't want those to bounce around like crazy.
  • JDM to USDM plate adapters arrived. Mounted those to the Midget along with chameleon chrome plate covers/holders.

Plate covers:
View attachment 1384304View attachment 1384305
Sweet, I like the looks of that. I think it will go a long way!! I'm gonna send positive vibes.

Tuesday
Midget:
  • The pesky antenna has finally been removed. Unfortunately, it damaged the panel a bit. I put the plastic trim back on with epoxy to cover the openings and panel damage. I don't intend on installing a new antenna...ever, basically.
  • Got my adapters a day early, was able to get those mounted, torqued to spec, then the new rims and tires on and torqued to spec.
  • Battery ran flat again (LOL). Turns out the car's computer/electronics get kinda drunk when the battery is not charged enough to start the car. I tried to indicate turns more than once only for the car to just give up before even attempting to signal. It'll go back on the trickle charger soon.
  • Montana LLC process has started. Pending some stuff on their side.

MX5:
- yay obnoxious carbon fiber trim arrived

Wednesday:
  • The Midget is back on the trickle charger for now. I may need a new battery.
  • Interior vacuumed again on the Midget II. I had to use a cinder block during the installation of the new wheels and it got debris all over the interior.

Photos from Tuesday, both Midget and MX5.
20240827_135205.jpg
20240827_181226.jpg
20240827_192639.jpg
20240827_200532.jpg
20240827_201556.jpg
20240827_201633.jpg
20240827_201410.jpg
20240827_201414.jpg

EDIT, 5:40 PM, 8/28:
Pulled the battery and I have reason to think it's suspect. I'm replacing it.

Last edited:
Thursday:
  • Midget battery is kaput as noted yesterday. The lead acid within the battery is actually below the minimum threshold, so it's not doing anything at all. I spent a solid four hours trying to work out what battery to replace it with, and ended up just ordering a very highly rated pair of SAE to JIS adapters (Quick Cable/Louis Oak Industries, via Amazon).
  • Cleaned out the gravel (???) in the battery compartment, sanded off a lot of the rust and sprayed over it with the touchup paint.
  • Bought a DieHard Gold 151R battery, which is identical in dimensions to the 40B19L battery that was previously in the vehicle. It just needs the SAE to JIS adapters.
  • Completed my required paperwork for registration.
  • Goo Gone'd the tape on the windshield. Started on the side window's leftover reside, but it isn't coming off well.

Friday:
-
Notarized all of my papers. I just gotta get a business card from someone tomorrow and it'll all be off to my agent for registration.

Photos: Just the old battery + compartment cleanup
20240828_153939.jpg
20240828_153956.jpg
20240828_155440.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday
Midget:
  • The pesky antenna has finally been removed. Unfortunately, it damaged the panel a bit. I put the plastic trim back on with epoxy to cover the openings and panel damage. I don't intend on installing a new antenna...ever, basically.
  • Got my adapters a day early, was able to get those mounted, torqued to spec, then the new rims and tires on and torqued to spec.
  • Battery ran flat again (LOL). Turns out the car's computer/electronics get kinda drunk when the battery is not charged enough to start the car. I tried to indicate turns more than once only for the car to just give up before even attempting to signal. It'll go back on the trickle charger soon.
  • Montana LLC process has started. Pending some stuff on their side.

MX5:
- yay obnoxious carbon fiber trim arrived

Wednesday:
  • The Midget is back on the trickle charger for now. I may need a new battery.
  • Interior vacuumed again on the Midget II. I had to use a cinder block during the installation of the new wheels and it got debris all over the interior.

Photos from Tuesday, both Midget and MX5.
View attachment 1384718View attachment 1384719View attachment 1384720View attachment 1384721View attachment 1384722View attachment 1384723View attachment 1384724View attachment 1384725

EDIT, 5:40 PM, 8/28:
Pulled the battery and I have reason to think it's suspect. I'm replacing it.
Great steering wheel! Very nice...

Saturday
  • All paperwork officially completed. I simply need to mail it, and should have my temp tags very soon. The truck itself is pending the battery pencil post adapters, but once those are on and tags are on, we are good to go!
  • Finally got the rest of the adhesive off the left door. Sanded the area under the adhesive (i had to scratch some of the paint to get under the material...) and painted over the whole thing. The door looks a lot cleaner now.

Sunday
- Bye day

Monday
  • Happy Labor Day!!
  • Improvised a data card for the Midget for gear shifts and for speed limit conversions. Redneck solution for three small issues all at once.

As usual, photos below.
20240830_190750.jpg
20240830_191029.jpg
20240902_130558.jpg

Yeah, multiple states consider it tax evasion b/c Montana has no sales tax, so states see it as supercar owners bypassing hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees. Montana also doesn't do vehicle inspections tmu, so the vehicle never needs to go to Montana.

Given that the Midget II isn't exactly in the same price bracket as those cars & Obelisk has already tried the proper channels through his state, I assume he'll be ok if his state's authorities decide to question him.

Yeah, multiple states consider it tax evasion b/c Montana has no sales tax, so states see it as supercar owners bypassing hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees. Montana also doesn't do vehicle inspections tmu, so the vehicle never needs to go to Montana.
Was always wondering why there are so many nice/exotic/rare cars here in Connecticut with Montana plates. It's a bit of a scummy thing to do, though, isn't it? Surely those who can afford a nice car can afford the taxes. Then again, you don't get rich without finding things to exploit.

Just a note that I am only using the Montana method to get a legitimate US title and plates on my Midget. I already tried with the Mass RMV and they effectively told me to go pound sand. Once they back off/reverse the ban and kei trucks start getting plated again, I fully intend to get it plated/re-titled here.

Just a note that I am only using the Montana method to get a legitimate US title and plates on my Midget. I already tried with the Mass RMV and they effectively told me to go pound sand. Once they back off/reverse the ban and kei trucks start getting plated again, I fully intend to get it plated/re-titled here.
I didn't mean to imply that those who use the Montana exploit are all scummy, only those rich folks who use it to dodge taxes. Using it as a method to get an import car on the road is okay, I would say.

I guess MA has strict rules on registering imported Kei cars/trucks, here in CT they are all over the place with legit CT plates. I pass a Japanese importer all the time in my area and am always tempted to buy one. Surely even in CT there is some sort of loophole or conditions required to get them on the road.

I didn't mean to imply that those who use the Montana exploit are all scummy, only those rich folks who use it to dodge taxes. Using it as a method to get an import car on the road is okay, I would say.

I guess MA has strict rules on registering imported Kei cars/trucks, here in CT they are all over the place with legit CT plates. I pass a Japanese importer all the time in my area and am always tempted to buy one. Surely even in CT there is some sort of loophole or conditions required to get them on the road.
It's less a case of strict rules and more that they're flat out trying to take them off the roads. It's only a policy right now, meaning existing registrations are safe for now. There are a ton of advocacy groups already pushing on our state reps to pass laws to keep kei trucks on the road.

Edit: for what it's worth, I didn't take your comment to mean that I was being scummy. Just clarifying that this was a necessary decision for me to take and is only a stopgap solution until the battle over kei trucks in my state has been settled in our favor.

Last edited:
Tuesday
Possibly my final pre-plates update. I have completed most, if not all, of my pre-reg work.
  • Battery adapters arrived. Mounted to the new battery, new battery mounted. I had to turn it 180 degrees due to how bulky the adapters are - they would have contacted the crossbar that holds the battery in place. I put the bar back on with some new electrical tape applied to it as well. Everything is locked in properly now.
  • Had a little problem with the pedals being small and hard to find, so I added a universal pedal set mod that just clamps on. Was a bit of a pain in the rear axle if you catch my drift.
  • Had to use molding tape to secure the left side cover panel.

Truck started without any hesitation, and had a much better fast idle. Felt a bit more reactive but that could be placebo.

Couple of surprises after the photos!
20240903_172947.jpg
20240903_191832.jpg
20240903_191857.jpg
20240903_192046.jpg
20240903_192103.jpg
20240903_192017.jpg
20240903_192037.jpg

Edit: whoops. I hit enter too early. Check back in shortly!

Last edited:
Tuesday
Possibly my final pre-plates update. I have completed most, if not all, of my pre-reg work.
  • Battery adapters arrived. Mounted to the new battery, new battery mounted. I had to turn it 180 degrees due to how bulky the adapters are - they would have contacted the crossbar that holds the battery in place. I put the bar back on with some new electrical tape applied to it as well. Everything is locked in properly now.
  • Had a little problem with the pedals being small and hard to find, so I added a universal pedal set mod that just clamps on. Was a bit of a pain in the rear axle if you catch my drift.

Truck started without any hesitation, and had a much better fast idle. Felt a bit more reactive but that could be placebo.

View attachment 1386336View attachment 1386337View attachment 1386338View attachment 1386339View attachment 1386340View attachment 1386341View attachment 1386342

Sorry for the double post. I'd meant to stick some videos in that post.

Here:
Quick walkaround:

Quick neighborhood drive:

Tuesday

View attachment 1386336View attachment 1386337View attachment 1386338View attachment 1386339View attachment 1386340View attachment 1386341View attachment 1386342

Looking good there mate, keep up the fabulous work. Hey, the first two letters of the Midget license plate is where I'm originally from, NC. North Carolina

I'm loving every bit of this too, you can bet money on that, :)
This guy is amazing at what he does with these cars.

Looking good there mate, keep up the fabulous work. Hey, the first two letters of the Midget license plate is where I'm originally from, NC. North Carolina
The NC in the plate is referring to the car's chassis ID. The 3rd generation MX5 (2006/7 to 2013) is called the NC due to that being the chassis identifier for it.

Mine is a first facelift model, which makes it an NC2. The second facelift is the NC3.

Very interesting stuff to research to be honest.

Slightly bad news:
I goofed on the paperwork for the Midget and set myself back at least a week on the temp tags. Not the end of the world, though. Just need to collect my papers, my thoughts and hope that my import broker is going to see my email.

The NC in the plate is referring to the car's chassis ID. The 3rd generation MX5 (2006/7 to 2013) is called the NC due to that being the chassis identifier for it.

Mine is a first facelift model, which makes it an NC2. The second facelift is the NC3.

Very interesting stuff to research to be honest.

Slightly bad news:
I goofed on the paperwork for the Midget and set myself back at least a week on the temp tags. Not the end of the world, though. Just need to collect my papers, my thoughts and hope that my import broker is going to see my email.
Ok mate, thank you for explaining that well. Take care and have a safe weekend.

That Midget has done more work than the average pick-up truck in it's lifetime! :D
No kidding.

It did more work today. :cheers: (featuring yours truly grinning like an idiot the entire time)
IMG_20240907_144251.jpg
IMG_20240907_144301.jpg

The documents I'm missing from my broker are on their way to me. If things go smoothly and I have no other obstructions or errors in the paperwork, I should be getting my temp tags really soon. Fingers crossed.

Welp.

Turns out the alternator is shot. The Midget tried its hardest to start today, and the battery ran out of juice in the process. So, the electrical weirdness I've been having (and haven't been documenting well) is all due to the alternator.

On the bright side, my Midget got to meet one of its siblings this morning!
20240908_094147~2.jpg

Back