Over the ear headphones

• Thread starter heinz57
  • 25 comments
United States
Ohio
cheezeburger57
Well guys I've been searching around for a nice pair of over the ear headphones. I've got plenty of in ear pairs but they just don't have the quality of over the ear ones. So anyone have some recommendations? I was looking at some Skullcandy's at the mall but I heard they break pretty easily and are rather cheaply constructed. My price range is up to $40, maybe $50 if something looks really promising. I know I probably can't get too much at this price range but anything semi durable and good sound would be nice.

Skullcandys are overrated....

Look into Grados, AKG or Sennheiser. I haven't owned a single pair, but I hear people get satisfying results from some of them for a price range around there.

I also know of the Retros by Panasonic which go for $40. They look very neat if you dig the older style of headphones, never tried them myself, but I have seen them everywhere at my school. Could be another overrated one, but I could be wrong.

I can definitely recommend the Sony Extra Bass XB500. It's got no insulation so your ears will collect a lot of built up heat... I own and love the XB700 and it's basically 1up of the 500's, size and quality. The "Extra Bass" wasn't what I was after, you'd have to turn it up for the "extra" to show, but I don't listen to music at such a volume so I really just got it for looks and comfort.

And about it's exterior design; the XB's definitely got a look that won't go out of style for half a century unlike Skullcandys or Ear Pollutions, or iFrogz. It's always good to think about what you'll do with that product in the long run, not just one year, but 5 or even 10 years from now... Will they go out of style? Will they still last?

Last edited:
Koss Porta Pro. Awesome sound, they compare quite favourably to my Sennheiser HD25-1 MkII's.

It's slightly more than your budget, but I highly recommend the Sony MDR-V6 headphones. They are intended to be studio monitors and they do a really good job of recreating the music without really "coloring" it.

I've only had one pair, but I've heard they are some of the best and they do fit your budget. Do yourself a favour and go buy a Sennheiser HD 201 and you won't regret it. Well, as long as having massive amounts of bass isn't on your must have list.

I remembered there were threads on headphones so I didn't make another one. Ooh lookie, pink text above :sly:

806akg1.jpg
2329348_f260.jpg

Anyway, I was in Canadacomputers last night, and I was looking at the AKG K701... and they look damn retro. They looked so nice I wanted to get it just because of its looks...[/compulsive]

I was wondering, have any of you owned or tried a pair before? Hear good/bad word of it in the past? I'm basically asking you to share your experience with it if possible.

Thanks.

Sennheiser HD-some-number-probably-above-600...

Seriously, in the land of real money Sennheisers around £200 have always got my vote.

The AKGs seem really nice, and if I were you, they would be near the top of my list. I also reccomend Behringer HPS5000. I bought mine at Steve's Music Store downtown.

I remembered there were threads on headphones so I didn't make another one. Ooh lookie, pink text above :sly:

806akg1.jpg
2329348_f260.jpg

Anyway, I was in Canadacomputers last night, and I was looking at the AKG K701... and they look damn retro. They looked so nice I wanted to get it just because of its looks...[/compulsive]

I was wondering, have any of you owned or tried a pair before? Hear good/bad word of it in the past? I'm basically asking you to share your experience with it if possible.

Thanks.

Go to Head-Fi.org for some good reviews on them. Also I think Omnis has/had a pair of those so shoot a PM his way.

The AKGs seem really nice, and if I were you, they would be near the top of my list. I also reccomend Behringer HPS5000. I bought mine at Steve's Music Store downtown.

They aren't even in the same league as the AKGs though. :odd:

I've got these:

g0_skullcandy_lowrider_headphones_2011_sc_green_black.jpg

They're great, really good sound quality and they seem to be very hard-wearing. 👍

I recommend it.

How are they not in the same league? Is it because of the open cup vs closed cup? I think closed cup is better.

I've got these:

They're great, really good sound quality and they seem to be very hard-wearing. 👍

I recommend it.

Not to be a jerk, but SkullCandy is kind of a joke. Grossly exaggerated lows in most cases, with less than great build quality. They are designed to appeal to the youth crowd that wants a fashion accessory more than audio quality.

I have some Razer Orcas (I won them) and they are acceptable in audio quality, decently level values. The redeeming aspect is they are very comfortable with cloth cups, and are completely over ear (even on my large head) rather than on ear, which I think hurts after a while. More so with glasses.

By over the ear do you mean like DJ style? I'm not sure what's out now for your price range but Sony make awesome headphones. I got a super sweet pair a long time ago for around $250 and went back to the store to see the exact same pair 5yrs later for the same price. Not many things are so good they don't get replaced. My friend has some cheap as **** Koss ones and they didn't sound too bad. I have tried like every brand out there for all styles and Sony for me always deliver. Boss is also good, but are probably more than your price range.

How are they not in the same league? Is it because of the open cup vs closed cup? I think closed cup is better.

You're recommending £28 headphones to a guy that's looking at a £200 pair. It's a bit like telling someone to buy a Nissan Micra when what they're looking for is a GTR.

Shure Headphones, I would never buy any other brand of headphones ever again. Sound double the price they are and pretty much universally praised.

1000x500px-LL-7168e043_shure_srh440_1.jpg

But if your in the business of wearing headphones as a fashion statement or want overdone bass then go an buy some overpriced brightly coloured stuff :lol:

+1 on Shures, I don't use them any more but they sound great and their customer service is excellent.

I started using KOSS headphones years ago. Never went back.

I use the Porta Pro when I'm out running or sitting and working at uni. Decent quality sound and when you fold it, it goes in any kind of pocket:

PORTAPROWHT

The one I use at home when playing guitar or bass:

ONXODLqKrNpNVFidrotexqCA.L43RGZ6SzzCNedGbGU-

They did cost me a pretty penny when they were new a while back but I've never had such comfortable headphones before. And it's unnecessary to question KOSS' sound quality.

Sony XB700's, they have very deep bass and also the high and middle frequencies are balanced with the low frequencies so that the music sounds incredible!

I've got a set of AudioTechica AD700s which are basically the most comfortable thing ever, and I highly recommend them.

cheap_ad700_b.jpg

Circumaural so they're kinda huge, but a great soundstage.

In regards to the AKG701/702, I have DJ/Producer friend who has a pair, and quite enjoys them, but you want a headphone amplifier to get the most out of them. In that price range you should also look at the Beyerdynamic DT880.

Skullcandies are crap, I went through three pairs and they all broke in the exact same spot, not to mention I always felt like I should be wearing eyeliner and listening to Billy Talent while using them.. Anyways I bought a Sony MDR-V300 last year and it ran me about $60(Canadian) and they're the best headphones I've ever owned.

By over the ear do you mean like DJ style? I have tried like every brand out there for all styles and Sony for me always deliver. Boss is also good, but are probably more than your price range.
Over-ears mean the ear cups don't sit squeezing your ears (those would be called on-ears), and they would encase it like covering your ears with *gasp* an actual cup. :eek: [/sarcasm] DJ-style, are headphones tailored for DJ artists, such as having ear cups that can rotate around on its hinge so they can quickly pick it up and put one speaker in one ear rather than putting it on every time.

While Sony (to my knowledge) excels in delivering sound products that suit all kinds of consumers, they don't excel in any field when put up against its competitors.

Bose doesn't have terrible quality, it's just they as well as Monster slap big price tags on their products, where you can find other products of same or greater quality for a huge fraction of the price.

Because we aren't discussing the OP's problem from back in May anymore? AOS asked another question.
Which no one really answered. :( Guess I'll head on over to Headfi.

I don't think its fair to pass a judgement on headphones I haven't heard, although I did point you in the right direction.

What uses do you want them for? Movies/Music/Gaming? If music what type of music? Want them to be portable?Will you be running a headphone amp? etc. Need to answer these before you can get a strong idea if AKG701's are suitable, and some input for the rest of us.

I personally wouldn't be getting AKG 701/702 without a headphone amplifier. And if you want to use them for gaming better options would probably be the AD700 or AD900.

Back