PGA / LPGA / personal golf

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 1,004 comments
SmartSelect_20240527_185652_Shot Scope.jpg
IMG_20240527_190000_560.jpg
IMG_20240527_190000_540.jpg
IMG_20240527_190000_581.jpg

Mediocre 49 over 8 holes today. Some silly misplaced shots and some silly putts but otherwise the ball striking was good. New 3 wood in the nag replacing my cheap and worn marketplace Cobra. Now have a Callaway Rogue ST Max with stiff shaft, very nice club.

Last edited:
A bit on the heels there, Ash, but looking good man.
Thanks mate. Yeah it's interesting, I hadn't noticed being on the heel a bit until watching those back, something to work on.

New 3 wood is performing very well, I've made another switch at the top of the bag, I liked the Paradym X 4 hybrid I had but it was doing the exact same job I could do with my 4 iron, the AI Smoke 4 iron is quite a strong lofted-high launching club which I can shape a bit, distance was more or less identical to the 4H and all the characteristics were the same. Difference being I could hit the 4 iron a lot more consistently.

So 4 Hybrid out, 5 wood in. Tried the Rogue ST Max 5 wood to match the 3 wood and didn't enjoy it as much as the 3, tried a Sim2 Max which I didn't like and even tried a Stealth 2 Rescue 2H (17°) and it was not confidence inspiring, although it felt good when making good connection.

The stand out 5 wood from testing was a Mizuno ST-X 220. Lovely head shape, beautiful feel and could hit it incredibly consistently. Importantly it filled the yardage gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. So that's now in the bag. Has a Mitsubishi Kai'li blue 60g stiff shaft.

Also undergone a driver shaft change, struggling with the lightweight stiff shaft setup (had a Project X HZRDUS Silver 50g), I've now gone to a heavier regular shaft, should see a good distance gain and a much more controlled swing. Gone for a 75g Project X Even Flow 5.5.

Have some good rounds lined up over the next month or so as well. Won a voucher for a 4 ball at a local championship course, Dunston Hall, so heading there with my brothers and a friend on the 28th. Been invited to another challenging championship course, Barnham Broom Valley, with an as yet undecided date and I plan to play a course this week that has hosted Clutch Tour events, Wensum Valley - Wensum Course, holes 13 to 18 are set out across a river, lots of water hazards and an island green. Brother in law is also buying me a round at a course of my choosing so will be playing Caister Golf Club which will be my first true links experience.

Last edited:

Take a bow Bryson. What a week he has had, an incredible up and down on the last after pulling his tee shot out to no man's land. A popular winner and a deserving winner on what has been an incredibly tough US Open.

Feel so bad for Rory, actually shot 2 better than Bryson in round 4, started 3 back and had an amazing chance but some poor putting near the end has cost him dearly.

That was the best Golf tournament I've watched in a long time. US Open at Pinehurst is hard to beat. So much more exciting than Snorehalla. Super stoked for Bryson. Love that guy and I hope a PIF-Tour resolution happens soon that allows the LIV and PGAT players to compete with each other more often.

3 bogeys in the last 4 holes here, in his best chance for a while to win a title.
Rory's a major choker rather than a major winner.

3 bogeys in the last 4 holes here, in his best chance for a while to win a title.
Rory's a major choker rather than a major winner.
I think this one can definitely go down as a choke. Other times he's just been outdone by players putting together world class rounds. But yeah thus was a choke, as much as it pains me to say it.

Dude just filed a divorce and then unfiled it. And has been super aggressively snarky for the past 2 years with this whole LIV thing. He’s taking a month off and really needs to.

Played a beautiful course on Monday just gone. Great Yarmouth & Caister in Norfolk (UK). Coastal course offering links experience with a blend of heathland as well. Quite unique in that it weaves around a horse racecourse, which is considered GUR and offers a free drop should you land in it.

The first 10 holes were quite heathy, with some challenging tee shots, particularly the 1st hole which sees you teeing over the racecourse to a small fairway area before going across the racecourse again. The 5th has a blind dog leg tee short with the racecourse down the right and no visible fairway to aim for. The front 9 consisted of 8 par 4s and 1 par 3.

Once you reach the 11th, the course opens up away from the racecourse with holes running parallel to the sand dunes on the beach, 11 being the signature hole with a classic links Valley style. Some even more challenging tee shots with a par 3 (12th) that has to almost entirely carry a Valley of heath and gorse to a small green (landed it on the surface with an 8 iron) and the 16th, again with no fairway visible from the tee, tee box set back with houses and gardens to 2 sides and a 200 yard carry over Heather and gorse (even from the yellow tees). 17 and 18 change character completely with a sheltered parkland vibe in the trees. Back 9 featured 3 par 3 holes and 2 par 5s offering a very different feel to the front 9.

Played in beautiful conditions, 27 Celsius (80 farenheit) with the sea breeze offering some respite.

Shot a 94 which I was delighted with considering I'd never played the course before, I hadn't played for 2 weeks (apart from a couple of driving range sessions) and had never played links golf before either. 5 pars on the card, 3 of which were on the par 3 holes highlighting that I struck my iron hits very well.

2nd shot on the 1st going over the racecourse.
20240624_133404.jpg

View from the 11th tee.
20240624_152353.jpg

Looking toward the see from the 12th.
20240624_153946.jpg

The view back up the 11th.
20240624_153953.jpg

One of the sleepered bunkers. Got up and down from this for a double bogey.
20240624_161223.jpg

View from the 16th tee, very little to aim at.

20240624_163800.jpg

IMG-20240624-WA0024.jpeg

Attachments

• 20240624_154001.jpg
    20240624_154001.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 1
Nice job breaking 100! Course looked very nice too. I haven't played since last month and I'm itching to get back out.

Played a fair bit of golf the past couple weeks, had some fun range sessions as well. The week I played the links course above, I also played a championship parkland course, I had played it before in October last year when it was wet, so was nice to play it in dry and warm conditions. I also won the round on social media so took my brother in law and his friend as well and we had a cracking day of golf.

Challenging course in the dry, lots of undulations in the fairways, some pretty big bunkers, but a really good mix of holes, from a 115 yard Par 3 to a 560 yard Par 5, driveable par 4, uphill holes, downhill holes, left and right doglegs. I shot 105 and was a long way from my best striking, back to back 9s on the 15th and 16th killed any hope of breaking 100. On the plus side, nearly drove 2 Par 4 greens, one is a 301 yard hole, caught it well with a good bounce, ended up in a deep bunker next to the green but pin high. Then hit a 3 wood on the 246 yard 8th hole, came up about 20 yards short.
This is the green on the 16th, protected by water, which I found twice, hence a 9.
20240628_175552.jpg

Then last Monday I played a new course to me, Norfolk Premier Golf, fun little course, not overly long (2348 yards off the silver/yellow tees, 9 hole), quite an open course but with a lot of very long rough which is almost an instant lost ball if you go there. Almost drove the 268 yard par 4 3rd hole, hit a bit of a pull so was pin high again but 20 yards to the left of the green. OVerall played very well and shot my best 9 hole score in strokes and to par, 41, +7. Signed off the round with a nice birdie on a 139 yard par 3, leaving a pitching wedge just 5 foot short of the pin.
Nice view from the 3rd green looking down the 4th.
20240701_182734.jpg

Latest Posts

Back