Pit lane

• Thread starter owoc12
  • 12 comments
Poland
Poland
Why is the pit stop just a cutscene? The cars disappear in front of you and it looks bad. The cutscene is real time so why its not like on the track but on seperate place for the cutscene? It was possible in 2005 so why not now?
258586-vision_gt_02.jpg

in 2005 it was part of a video of what was expected for a GT of the next generation but on balance it never existed at stake.
Gran tursimo HD concept:

Minute:1.26

However I think it depends on the fact not to weigh down the graphics engine because you would have many polygon objects moving at a certain point of the track.

Ah good old gt hd concept. Nice bit of boom boom satellites, rise and fall in there as well. Also funny how everyone in the picture is a duplicate many times over.

It's one of those things I don't really have much hard evidence for in online racing/Sport mode other than the gut feeling of losing a lot less time than expected in the pitlane. The only good example I have which proves this was an offline race at Willow Springs where I was racing against AI in the Chaparral VGT.
We were in a big lead group and all out of whatever fuel substitute the car uses, knowing the pitcrew wouldn't have anything to top it up with I carried on out on track at 50mph whilst the AI 'pitted' and came out around 10s ahead, even if they didn't stop in the box that would mean; (a) Their speed limit in the pitlane was higher than any race track in the world and (b) Their cars were able to accelerate beyond the out of fuel speed limit meaning the time spent in pitlane is a pre-defined number rather than a real-time simulation.

Maggiore, you sometimes spend the same time in pits than you would at the straight on track.

I too find it very annoying with cars just disappearing from the track, destroys a lot of the imersion
Damn I didn't notice that :dunce:
It's one of those things I don't really have much hard evidence for in online racing/Sport mode other than the gut feeling of losing a lot less time than expected in the pitlane. The only good example I have which proves this was an offline race at Willow Springs where I was racing against AI in the Chaparral VGT.
We were in a big lead group and all out of whatever fuel substitute the car uses, knowing the pitcrew wouldn't have anything to top it up with I carried on out on track at 50mph whilst the AI 'pitted' and came out around 10s ahead, even if they didn't stop in the box that would mean; (a) Their speed limit in the pitlane was higher than any race track in the world and (b) Their cars were able to accelerate beyond the out of fuel speed limit meaning the time spent in pitlane is a pre-defined number rather than a real-time simulation.
Ahhh yes I did read somewhere else back then that the AI does alien pit stops. The other case was on Maggiore I think

I think it's largely to make it "fair" for everyone in pitlane.

I think it removes the discrepancy of people entering the pitlane at 150mph or 50mph.
And I think it removes any hinderance other cars in pitlane may have on your time spent travelling pitlane.

Watching the way cars mass exit pitlane at the start of the warmup lap in a Sport Mode event, I also think it's probably the right decision. :P

That's the thrill of it. In real life, which this game is trying to simu.. mimic.., pitting and then being held because of cars traversing the lane, is part of the strategy.

Doesn't bother me. I've played a game that has manual control through pit lane, one that doesn't show pits at all and GTS with cool animations.

This is a "pick up game", if you will. Its meant to be a bit fast paced. As someone mentioned, could be less strain on the system.
Maybe the FIA portion, gets full pit lane animation, in due course.

That's the thrill of it. In real life, which this game is trying to simu.. mimic.., pitting and then being held because of cars traversing the lane, is part of the strategy.

Doesn't bother me. I've played a game that has manual control through pit lane, one that doesn't show pits at all and GTS with cool animations.
Completely agree.
It's part of racing, no question.

But that's why I typed "fair" in quotation marks.

People post complaining about what they deem as unwarranted 1 second penalties.
Imagine the complaints coming from pitlane incidents where someone who entered the pits ahead of other cars then gets borked trying to leave and loses multiple positions and 3 or 4 (if not more) seconds.

It isn't the way I would like to see it done either.
But perhaps the mechanics of the game, and as I say trying to keep it fair for everyone, meant PD deciding to go with the option that they have chosen.

Back