2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,429 comments
It's hard for me to say out loud, because the alternative is so damned scary, but I honestly don't see Trump winning this election. At least not without some kind of underhandedness. I can think of ways that he might try to cheat, and they're definitely scary and really do exist. But in a straight forward election, I don't see a whining insecure victim who has broken all of the laws and is running solely on staying out of jail being a winning strategy.
100% agree. There are massive issues with how the elections are contested and the hyper-partisan actions displayed AFTER the elections of 2020 show that Trump-GOP cannot admit they were wrong or made a mistake. Humility doesn't exist for that group of politicians and either they will need to lose again and again or they will have to realize that maybe they are part of what's wrong with America.

(This is coming from someone who hates both candidates.)

How do you hate Harris? I get not agreeing with her on everything. But hatred?
Hate might be a very strong word and I am going to make a retraction here (I blame this on my family circle which was in my head at the time of this post). I'm not a huge fan of her policies so I wouldn't consider her an ideal candidate. However, for comparison, I absolutely loathe Trump and his cronies and I am more concerned about them than I am about him.

It's hard for me to say out loud, because the alternative is so damned scary, but I honestly don't see Trump winning this election. At least not without some kind of underhandedness. I can think of ways that he might try to cheat, and they're definitely scary and really do exist. But in a straight forward election, I don't see a whining insecure victim who has broken all of the laws and is running solely on staying out of jail being a winning strategy.
They've already telegraphed their strategy well in advance (with fake electors), they tested the waters in 2020 and now only have to tweak it to make it work. I don't know if there's anything the Democrats can do stop it happening legally on a federal level?

Hate might be a very strong word and I am going to make a retraction here (I blame this on my family circle which was in my head at the time of this post). I'm not a huge fan of her policies so I wouldn't consider her an ideal candidate. However, for comparison, I absolutely loathe Trump and his cronies and I am more concerned about them than I am about him.

What's the policy that irritates you the most?

They've already telegraphed their strategy well in advance (with fake electors), they tested the waters in 2020 and now only have to tweak it to make it work. I don't know if there's anything the Democrats can do stop it happening legally on a federal level?

Well they're keenly aware of it. The fake electors thing I'm not sure about, but holding up vote counting or refusing to certify in certain areas is definitely one of the strategies. I'm more concerned about election day violence to be honest. We've seen what happens when Trump supporters think they're going to lose, they take matters into their own hands as soon as Trump gives the nod. I suspect he will do so, and I'm concerned about what happens to voter turnout when that happens. Most of my focus is on election night, and getting people the opportunity to actually vote.

That's not an issue in my state, where we can vote in the weeks prior using a mailed ballot we can put in a drop box at any time. But not all states run like mine, and I can definitely see opportunities for targeted violence.

Thankfully, hopefully, it would be harder to pull off something like the fake elector bologna without being the incumbent currently in power. Also...these guys are morons. Dangerous morons, but still morons.

Does the Republican party have or have they offered any policies at all or is it all culture war pish and the Ceauşescu-esque COP?

Does the Republican party have or have they offered any policies at all or is it all culture war pish and the Ceauşescu-esque COP?
Well, there's their policy of handing out free samples of JD Vance's sperm in plastic specimen jars. There's that. Can't think of anything more attractive than that. I guess the bar is sort of low.

They have but you have to go looking for them online & last I looked, some of it still is culture war stuff.

Otherwise, the only “policy” coming out of Trump’s mouth is vague claims only said out of desperation; “We’re gonna slash energy by 50% but I’m not going to explain more than that bc I’m just saying it cause I think it’s what you want to hear”.

It's hard for me to say out loud, because the alternative is so damned scary, but I honestly don't see Trump winning this election. At least not without some kind of underhandedness. I can think of ways that he might try to cheat, and they're definitely scary and really do exist.
I'm far from any kind of political strategy expert, but I think Harris and Walz have to push T & V on these types of issues during the debates. "Election officials in North Carolina that you just wanted to make sure the Democrats didn't cheat because we have enough votes (or all they need)", "What did they mean by that?"

Screenshot-20240822-152104-Samsung-Internet.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Screenshot-20240822-152238-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Straight. Into. My. Veins.

I'm more concerned about election day violence to be honest. We've seen what happens when Trump supporters think they're going to lose, they take matters into their own hands as soon as Trump gives the nod. I suspect he will do so, and I'm concerned about what happens to voter turnout when that happens. Most of my focus is on election night, and getting people the opportunity to actually vote.
This is precisely what's behind the Trumpons' and Trump surrogates' push to cut early (and mail) voting and focus on a single election day. Sure, it makes it harder for people to vote, especially those in cities who are less likely to have flexible schedules, but the real reason is intimidation and it's nearly impossible to a have a concentrated intimidation campaign without a single day of in-person voting.

Last edited:
Screenshot-20240822-152104-Samsung-Internet.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Screenshot-20240822-152238-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Straight. Into. My. Veins.

This is precisely what's behind the Trumpons' and Trump surrogates' push to cut early (and mail) voting and focus on a single election day. Sure, it makes it harder for people to vote, especially those in cities who are less likely to have flexible schedules, but the real reason is intimidation and it's nearly impossible to a have a concentrated intimidation campign without a single day of in-person voting.

Yea, I mean I hate to just lay it all out there but targeted intimidation in the right counties in a few states can make all the difference. The GE comes down to just a handful of votes in a handful of specific places where counties have predictable biases.

Yea, I mean I hate to just lay it all out there but targeted intimidation in the right counties in a few states can make all the difference. The GE comes down to just a handful of votes in a handful of specific places where counties have predictable biases.
Learn from the UK riots.

People opposing intimidation outnumber those who would seek to intimidate.

Have groups set up counter protestors who would stand up to make sure people are allowed to vote.

Alternatively, maybe a buffer zone like that which is provided to certain abortion clinics could help?

From what I'm watching online, the penthouse suites at the United Center are being closed off by & it's apparently reported Beyonce will be appearing tonight as the special guest at the DNC to close it out; other ramblings that Travis Kelce might be attending which means you-know-who.

Last edited:
The whole W and Michelle Obama candy thing was adorable.

5b8bfc882badb95ebd111175

I want them to shine a spotlight on Matt Walsh and call him up on stage.

Last edited:
Well done Kamala. Very presidential speech, and yet genuine and relatable. Trump has given the democrats so much ammunition on so many fronts.

You missed the part when, after they cut him off, he immediately went over to Newsmax to continue his unhinged ranting.

Harris did of course talk about human trafficking. Meanwhile Trump is still planning to take his money and run to Venezuela.

Last edited:
According to ABC News sources Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is planning to drop out of the presidential election race and support Donald Trump:
However, in the unlikely event that everyone polled as supporting RFK Jr. voted for Trump this'd only translate into a 0.6% lead according to current figures from fivethirtyeight.com.

Screenshot_20240823-100317.png

Forbes goes further and suggests the brainworm survivor's withdrawal will "bear"-ly move the needle, comparing RealClearPolitics's multi-way poll which gives Harris a 1.6% lead with their two-way poll which still puts her ahead by 1.5%.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of RFK Jr.'s supporters are people that simply wanted an alternative option & are just going to abstain from voting altogether. Surely that will cost Trump a bit.

Jesus.

Screenshot-20240823-104248-Samsung-Internet.jpg

There was a time when Dred Scott, a decision which held that black Africans were not beneficiaries of Constitutional protections, was deemed toxic by Republicans. Two (2) amendments were ratified to render it null and void. But I recognize that that was a long time ago and those were different Republicans.

Back