Poll : GTP Music Cool Wall - Jimi HendrixMusic 

Poll : GTP Music Cool Wall - Jimi Hendrix

• Good, but not quite Hall of Fame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Please take up a new profession

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Experimentalists hardly ever get love when they're alive. Van Gogh's paintings were landmark works due to the innovations in approach and colors he took, but not exactly as incredible as fine art as some of his contemporaries.

I'm going to toss something out here about J. Hendrix.

I voted HOF as a lot of you have.I love this mans music.BUT ..... do we dare call him a "One Hit Wonder" ? Although a lot of his music was great and he had major influence on today's artists,he never really cracked the top 40 but once. The song,"All Along the Watchtower" (A Bob Dylan song by the way) was his biggie,nothing really else topped out,at least here in the states.

So let's hear your thoughts,is Jimi a "One hit Wonder" ?

This is an interesting article.

Yes he was a one hit wonder. One charting Top 40 hit = one hit wonder. Pretty clear-cut, I'm afraid.

No, he's not, because there are most people can name more than 1 song. Dream Theatre only had one hit, and they're not one hit wonders. DT named a compilation Greatest hit... And 21 other pretty cool songs :P no joke either

The ability to name songs by an artist has nothing to do with whether or not they are a one hit wonder. As you yourself say, Dream Theatre only had one hit and so by definition are one hit wonders.

It comes as a surprise to many that the Grateful Dead are also one hit wonders -- with their hit coming about twenty years after they formed.

That's probably a result of the popularity that Hendrix has gained in the years following his death. Ask someone forty years ago to name more than one Hendrix song, and they would be hard pressed to more than just Watchtower, if that. Look at Vincent Van Gogh. He's regarded today as one of the greatest artists of all time, yet during his life people wouldn't give him the time of day, much less buy one of his works.

Actually I would disagree with that, in particular I would say that most people could name "Foxey Lady" and/or "Purple Haze". Hendrix got a lot of play time on FM radio. Most people who were into music back then listened mostly to FM, not the AM Top 40 stations (the Grateful Dead also got most of their airplay on FM). Billboard's weekly Top 40 list was composed of three things, in roughly equal measure: airplay (on the AM Top 40 stations, note), record sales and juke box play.

Anyhow, yes, Jimi Hendrix fits the definition of one hit wonder, in the US at least. I have no idea how he fared in the UK and elsewhere; can anybody fill us in on that?

That's probably a result of the popularity that Hendrix has gained in the years following his death. Ask someone forty years ago to name more than one Hendrix song, and they would be hard pressed to more than just Watchtower, if that. Look at Vincent Van Gogh. He's regarded today as one of the greatest artists of all time, yet during his life people wouldn't give him the time of day, much less buy one of his works.

In the US that may well be true, but in the UK quite a different story indeed.

HoF for me.

Scaff

Beast with a guitar.

In terms of being a 'One Hit Wonder', yeah I guess you could call him that, but it is no way of judging/rating an artist. 9 times out of 10 an artist will only get a 'Hit' if they are relatively mainstream or release a single that is really, really good, depending on how far away they are from said mainstream. Not to mention that there are several factors that affect this also. Needless to say, he was extraordinary with a guitar, plus his voice totally suited his music. Definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Beast with a guitar.

In terms of being a 'One Hit Wonder', yeah I guess you could call him that, but it is no way of judging/rating an artist. 9 times out of 10 an artist will only get a 'Hit' if they are relatively mainstream or release a single that is really, really good, depending on how far away they are from said mainstream. Not to mention that there are several factors that affect this also. Needless to say, he was extraordinary with a guitar, plus his voice totally suited his music. Definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame.

You can only describe Hendrix as a "One Hit Wonder" by looking at the US alone, in the UK he had five top ten singles - Hey Joe, Purple Haze, The Wind Cried Mary, All Along the Watchtower and Voodoo Child.
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix_discography#Singles

Regards

Scaff

Would my vote be tainted by the fact I've visited his grave?

HoF for the Voodoo Chile (the actual spelling).

If you think he isn't HoF, try doing some of what he does, and try to make yours sound better, yeah, thought so...

Back