Nirvana

Nirvana-Wallpapers2.jpg

No Website

Nominated by TaurusSHO​

Origins: Aberdeen, Washington, USA
Genre(s): Alternative Rock, Grunge
Years Active: 1987-1994
Label(s): Sub Pop, DGC

First of all, I'm sorry for getting this out late. I've been swamped with college classes and work. But it's out now.

I voted hall of fame. There is no denying their impact on alternative rock. Twas a sad day when Kurt Cobain died.

Speaking of which. If you didn't know, the 17th anniversary of Kurt's suicide was on Tuesday. It's kinda freaky that the same week that the Nirvana Poll comes out, Kurt's death turns 17.

Hall of Fame, period

In my opinion, probably the best grunge & alternative band of them all and one of the greatest bands of the 80s & 90s. RIP Kurt Cobain, such a musical genius. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a song for a generation.

I can't say I've listened to a lot of their stuff but there's no doubt of the influence they've had.

HoF. Influential and didn't last long enough to turn into U2/Radiohead/PinkFloyd/RollingStones/ChilliPeppers/Oasis. ie ruin all their brilliant early work with dull and overly safe following albums.

HoF, because it can't be denied that they've had a major influence on music.

HOF. There shouldn't even be another option on the poll.

Jackington and Max Powers both owe explainations, or their votes will be automatically changed to HOF.

Meh. I never really liked them so that's what I voted. They did influence a lot of people though. I remember a newspaper once ranked Kurt Cobain 2nd in their "top 50 guitarists" list once. That was the last time I bought that paper. He was nothing special as a guitar player. Maybe a good frontman, but that's as far as he goes.

HoF. Influential and didn't last long enough to turn into U2/Radiohead/PinkFloyd/RollingStones/ChilliPeppers/Oasis. ie ruin all their brilliant early work with dull and overly safe following albums.

Can't see how the Floyd fits in that list. Their Dark Side album was just a masterpiece. All the other albums after it until 1979 were all albums with a different story or motive and sound.

HoF by the way.

I saw an interesting article that Spin Magazine posted on their facebook the other day. It date's back to 2009. It is a fictional timeline of what would've been Kurt Cobain's life and career if he hadn't died in '94. Pretty neat perspective.

Linky link.

I do not like them.

I understand the fact that they have been instrumental (pardon the pun) in the music industry and I give them credit for that.But on a personal level,I just don't like their music.

They were good, but not HoF material.

To be honest, I liked them once but that was a just a surge of bad taste.

Probably one of the most overrated bands of all time next to Coldplay. Most of the music was/is boring IMO and I never really was a fan of Grunge. I'll just say this.. AiC was much much better.

Jackington and Max Powers both owe explainations, or their votes will be automatically changed to HOF.
Nirvana just doesn't do it for me, I realise that they're influential but still... I just can't stand grunge. Also Bradley Nowell was the better dead musician of the '90s. :P

Nirvana just doesn't do it for me, I realise that they're influential but still... I just can't stand grunge. Also Bradley Nowell was the better dead musician of the '90s. :P

Although I love Sublime, their influence and popularity never acheived the status Nirvana had. I'm afraid I have to place Kurt one notch above Brad.

Labelling Nirvana as merely "Grunge" kind of sells them short... There was an inventiveness and musicality in their work that was refreshing. Coldplay? Different but more a mashup of classical and alternative... Pretty derivative of certain pre-emo bands... (Radiohead, anyone?) Nirvana, on the other hand, was like Picasso... Totally left-field. Not everybody liked Picasso, either, but there's no doubting his HoFness.

I agree that they may not have been the best musicians, Cobain wasn't the greatest guitarest and singer, but to me that's the whole point.

How can someone like that have such a huge impact and influence then..??

Feels like Teen Spirit just totally summed up an entire generation, niche, genre - whatever you want to call it. That one song can be related to by just so many people.

The way Cobain stayed away from 'image' and 'safe' side of music, like mentioned before in this thread, once a band has got a fan base / image or have created something for themselves, they then play it safe or sometimes go commercial or follow the fashion / trend of the time to stay in the charts or public eye.

Cobain had such a huge fan base, but he didn't want any of the above - to me, I give him alot of respect for that.

Also, finally, MTV's unplugged - a band like Nirvana who's sound is quite 'heavy', to pull of something like MTV unplugged in a way that was so 'soft' yet it was still such a powerful perfomance, for me (and in 1991 I was a full on 'raver') Nirvana definately are one of the greatest.

Here for such a short time, remembered by so many for so long, never to be forgotten - enough said.

Back