Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,585 comments
<disclaimer> I may have lost my mind <close disclaimer>

IMPORTANT/URGENT/SEND HELP

Guys I’ve just had a revelation at Grand Valley; having one final session I thought why not treat myself to an attempt with my •other• X2019, the 25th Anniversary which I’ve barely driven.

Absolute shocker, it felt like a completely different car and the first corner was absolutely dreamy and even with massive oversteer at the right downhill hairpin I still set a first sector PB ON MY FIRST ATTEMPT! Over the moon I went to slap on a nice custom colour scheme and then get lapping.

So I fire up a ghost and once again find myself losing time at every turn, the feedback from the steering wheel gone again, felt just like the X2019 Competition I’ve been cursing. So what’s the deal?

Frustrated and now with two cars with custom paint jobs I decided to use a rental. The only option is the X2019 Competition so back to that… well what do you know, it feels better again! Just like it did at Road Atlanta! I did two laps and BOTH were PBs, by over a tenth of a second!

So WHAT is going on, am I actually losing my mind!?? Or have I stumbled on a really really weird glitch. To me it feels like when I have my own paint scheme on the car it felt like I was losing out every corner, like the ghost I was chasing had more grip everywhere. Well, is it possible putting in a custom paint scheme has somehow managed to default the actual tyre model of the car to Racing Hard or Racing Medium somehow? Because thats exactly what it feels like to me! Absolutely mad if it’s true, if anyone could test this theory it would be much appreciated. Only 7 hours left sadly if this is a revelation that might make a difference to a lot of people!!

^Placebo is one hell of a drug.

Last edited:
^Placebo is one hell of a drug.
I wish it was placebo, I’d take that thing every day and become a monster!

So I’ve had mixed results since this revelation/mental breakdown; sometimes I have the good physics and sometimes not and it feels like I’m losing my mind. I’ve got a feeling it’s got something to do with resetting maybe like that tyre sound glitch; my first laps when entering the trial it’s perfect and then at some point it goes back to being a wheelspinny understeering feedbackless coffin of terror

So yeah maybe resetting when on the sand/off track is what’s causing the car to be like this (as a person who spends most of his life in gt7 resetting this makes sense..!)

Edit: IT IS DEFINITELY THE RESET! Where it happens I’m not sure but I’m guessing off track like the tyre sound glitch that we had recently, just did five laps consecutively and setting PBs everywhere

God I wish I’d noticed this sooner. I did wonder why jump on, set some flying laps and then suddenly ‘forget’ how to drive the car after a few laps 😂😂

Last edited:
I only had access to the rental so can’t compare @Dan_Tes , but resets were certainly the way forward for me at Watkins. I think you may be onto something…

EDIT: I’m 199th in the RedBull right now after slipping down the order since Saturday, so if everyone could just stop driving and move along it would be much appreciated 😅

Last edited:
I only had access to the rental so can’t compare @Dan_Tes , but resets were certainly the way forward for me at Watkins. I think you may be onto something…

EDIT: I’m 199th in the RedBull right now after slipping down the order since Saturday, so if everyone could just stop driving and move along it would be much appreciated 😅
I’m still not sure Jon, I’m also tired and a little bit drunk on Rum but the trick was to return to the menu each time rather than do lots of laps or retry button. Every ‘first’ lap the car gripped really well. I improved by over half a second once I figured this out! 🥸

IMG_9057.jpeg
IMG_9058.jpeg
IMG_9056.jpeg

No Stockholm syndrome here, it’s still a hateful trial but I’m far more at peace with it now I figured out (roughly) what was going wrong!

Interesting… so if it’s different from plain resets, then it’s not a tire temp model impact (unless there’s a modeling error), as it should return to “room temp” after each reset.

EDIT: just saw your lap time Dan! Epic mate 🔥

Last edited:
Back